MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars Steenhoff

Thanks its perfect!

Just one thing it does not remember my last used mode when I restart the app. Thats just details, very happy with this !

one thing I just noticed the scrolling is very slow when I scroll inside the session view on the bottom ( with the mouse scroll wheel )

Danne

Cool stuff. Will test later.
+1 for Lars suggestion remembering last set up, paths to mlv files etc after closin Mlv app.

masc

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 19, 2018, 11:41:04 PM
Just one thing it does not remember my last used mode when I restart the app. Thats just details, very happy with this !
Quote from: Danne on October 20, 2018, 08:55:32 AM
+1 for Lars suggestion remembering last set up, paths to mlv files etc after closin Mlv app.
?! All that is implemented and is working for me. Could you explain what you do? Note: when opening last official MLVApp version saving the positions and opening then latest github revision it won't work, because latest official version does not know changeable docks. Just try that with the latest compiled version only. Last mlv paths are saved since a year maybe.

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 19, 2018, 11:41:04 PM
one thing I just noticed the scrolling is very slow when I scroll inside the session view on the bottom ( with the mouse scroll wheel )
Yes... I noticed this too. But it happens not always. No idea what this is... will search when I have some time.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

Yes the window position is restored, at restart I just noticed it.

But would it not be nice if the session with all the mlv's is auto saved on exit and restored on exit too?
So you can basically exit the app and come back to where you were.

masc

Ah okay, so you don't mean the preview mode (that was what I understood), you mean the session itself. Hm... concept is, that the user saves and opens the session. This means 1st time 2 clicks + typing a filename, 2nd...nth time 1 click and 3 clicks on opening. I am really no fan of Apples and Adobes autosave, because nobody really knows what happens, and cleaning the mess is a lot of research and work.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

I was more thinking about Lightroom style.

Where you define the session once and after it autoloads and autosaves to this file.

Danne

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 20, 2018, 11:58:45 AM
I was more thinking about Lightroom style.

Where you define the session once and after it autoloads and autosaves to this file.
Yes, lightroom style. When I think of it, the only thing missing in this regard is autosaving MLV paths on reopening.

masc

Quote from: Danne on October 20, 2018, 12:00:36 PM
Yes, lightroom style. When I think of it, the only thing missing in this regard is autosaving MLV paths on reopening.
Sry, don't understand. If you click on open session, you are automatically leaded to the last path where you opened a MLV file. But this is not what you mean?!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

Don't know for Danne, but for me its like this:

I would like to have an option check box in the menu:

• Auto Load last session
  • Auto Save current session on exit,  or at least ask me if I want to save on exit, because right now when I close the app and forgot to save I lose my session.

Currently when I load a session the default path is not where I saved the session, which is where I expect it to be.

Danne

Ok, clearance. Open up also mlv files which were present in mlv app when closing the app. When reopening all mlv files will reappear automatically as before closing. Right now I have to open up and reload the mlv files.

Lars Steenhoff

Something not related:

It will be useful for me to have an option like this:
Show in Finder

That opens a finder window with the current mlv selected there.

dfort

Quote from: bouncyball on October 19, 2018, 09:11:28 AM
...I'm waiting for @dfort to update his focus pixel generating bash script...

Right, I've been thinking about how to cover all of these new crop_rec resolutions. Maybe we only need to know the width of the full raw buffer along with the sampling (1x1, 1x3, 3x3, 5x3) and allow for the maximum possible height at that sampling?

I also allowed for some crop/pan metadata slippage that was happening on a few of the experimental builds but it looks like that might have been resolved so some of the maps can probably be simplified.

masc

I now added:
- different "last filename" for session, darkframe and imported mlv (until now all was saved in one variable)
-> when opening(/saving) one of them, you are leaded to the last directory (now different for MLV/Session/Darkframe)
-> exporting will lead always to the folder where the MLV is
- remember dialog on app close event
- reveal in finder / explorer (works just for one file and only on Win/OSX. I don't know how to do in Linux and how to do with more than one file).
-> someone should test that on Windows. I only have OSX here...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

Thanks for implementing these!

I tested it and here his my feedback:

Review in finder works perfect

In the dialog I would perhaps add here one more button, Save and Quit
And change Quit to Quit without saving

The red close button does not work on the popup. ( it should also cancel the dialog )

I would still find it easier if there was an auto save session on quit. 

And the auto loading of the last session on opening up the app.

Nice progress!

Lars Steenhoff

Now that we have "Reveal in finder" working I'm wondering if its possible to also implement Play in MlRawViewer ( Open in External app )

the command would be the same as double clicking the file in the finder when you have MlRawViewer.app associated as the default .mlv app.

My use case is to use MlRawViewer.app launched directly from MLVApp for quick playback with audio to see the shots and then to fine-tune and export MLV app.

It could be triggered by a hotkey and with right click on the file and selecting Play in MlRawViewer

Lars Steenhoff

Ok I managed to make the menu, I just don't know how to save from the button yet. ( just trying to get a grip of how the app works )

Lars Steenhoff

I ok learned how to save the session from a button  :)
And I made it simpler with only two choices. mostly because I did not now how to code the third choice.

//App shall close -> hammer method, we shot on the main class... for making the app close and killing everything in background
void MainWindow::closeEvent(QCloseEvent *event)
{
    ui->actionPlay->setChecked( false );
    on_actionPlay_triggered( false );

if( !QMessageBox::warning( this, APPNAME, tr( "Do you really like to quit MLVApp? Don't forget to save the session!" ),
                                tr( "Save and quit" ), tr( "Quit without saving" ) ) )
    {
                if( m_sessionFileName.count() == 0 ) on_actionSaveAsSession_triggered();
            else saveSession( m_sessionFileName );

qApp->quit();
        return;
    }

qApp->quit();
    event->accept();
}

masc

@Lars Steenhoff: I am not sure if it is that easy. Maybe that will be it for 10% of the cases... the MainWindow class is very (if not much to) complex, and little changings like that mostly double complexity in many cases. It may work when session was saved before. But what if not? What if a session was saved, user created a new one and quits? What if "Save and quit", but abort save file dialog? etc. ...

The red button - ups... forgot that one, will have look later. Edit: Funny... pressing red button: nothing happens for me on OSX 10.9.5 :-D

Open an external app is much easier than "remote control" Finder or Explorer. If you just need this, that is easily added. I only have to think about how to select the application. I think we need a new dialog for that somehow.

Autosave is a very dangerous thing. If we only save on close event, nothing is saved if app crashes. If we save after each mouse click, I say "good night". :-D
Until now I hated every application what does autosaving (LR, FCPX,... ), because it never worked as I expected and only makes work even harder for both - developer and user. That is why I more like manually open and save.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 20, 2018, 11:29:14 PM
.. Play in MlRawViewer ( Open in External app )

+1 also if it can be done for FastCinemaDNG Processor. Maybe make a choice to select what the external player we want to view MLV files something like that.

Lars Steenhoff

@masc

Yes after thinking about it auto save is not really needed.

About the save button I made in the dialog, it checks if the session was saved before and if it was it just saves over it. If it was not saved before it triggers the "save as" function

And yes a cancel button would be good to have also in the dialog, I just did not know how to code that.

Same for auto load last session, I dont know how to code that yet.

As for external app, yes a Dialog window where you set the external app path is needed for that.

masc

Now added also a saving on exit function to the messagebox on close event.
"Open with external application" is working for OSX, and on Windows maybe (but is still hidden because I am not sure - untested stuff).

Instead of an session autoload I am thinking of a "Recent session" filemenu under "File"... would that help?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

Super to see again the nice work! Recent would help a bit,  but I can just click on the open icon and it also show me the recent session now so thats kind of redundant.

Still I would prefer auto load for myself, but I know your not a fan of it   8)

I just tested the "open in external app" function and for some reason it only works with lossless compressed mlv's but not with uncompressed mlv's.  No idea why this is happening, because when I click the same uncompressed file in the finder it opens in mlv.

I just tested the "open in external app" function and for some reason it only works with mlv's that are on my local SDD and it does not open files on my external HDD

And it would be great of the open in external app can have its own keyboard shortcut. so I can just press a button and it will open n the external app.

masc

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 21, 2018, 07:27:40 PM
Super to see again the nice work! Recent would help a bit,  but I can just click on the open icon and it also show me the recent session now so thats kind of redundant.
...yes, depending on where you save them. I could be like that:

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on October 21, 2018, 07:27:40 PM
I just tested the "open in external app" function and for some reason it only works with mlv's that are on my local SDD and it does not open files on my external HDD

And it would be great of the open in external app can have its own keyboard shortcut. so I can just press a button and it will open n the external app.
Hm... is there some space in the path name? I did not test if this is allowed with current implementation and could be the problem. With the shortcut I'll see what I can do...

EDIT: I added a shortcut to the newest session under "Recent sessions" (CMD+R) and with this shortcut it opens your last session. That helps?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Lars Steenhoff

Yes the external path has a space in it. that explains it.

Recent sessions list is also nice looking!

Lars Steenhoff

By the way in that same menu there is the "Export Actual Frame" option.  This one creates a .png
Can you make one more option "Export Actual frame to .DNG"  ?

Many times I just want to open the current frame in photoshop as a .dng, and right now its a long process. 
I need to set the input and output range and then export to DNG sequence with only one frame.