MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: Enrico on October 08, 2018, 10:13:27 PM
Hmm I'm still learning to use Davinci, but is there a clean tutorial for MacOs? Becouse I could use my friend's macbook or even a virtual machine.
For what exactly do you need a tutorial? For Resolve or for MLVApp? In MLVApp on OSX, just select HDR script in export settings and that's all - one step.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Quote from: masc on October 09, 2018, 08:15:29 AM
For what exactly do you need a tutorial? For Resolve or for MLVApp? In MLVApp on OSX, just select HDR script in export settings and that's all - one step.

I wonder how the script will react to downloading dependencies in a virtual machine.

Steps are easy as masc says.

If you run the script for the first time it will ask for downloading dependencies so just say yes to all of those questions.

1 - Import the mlv file and go to export settings and select the script HDR_MOV.command

2 - Do your color correction etc and go to the export tab and send out your clip. When the file is ready the script will start creating the HDR file. End result will be a MOV file.

bouncyball

Quote from: Levas on October 07, 2018, 02:13:12 PM
I'm wondering, is it possible to add the option of importing dng sequence (extracted from MLV's) instead of a MLV file ?
Then it needs brand new importer and player. Besides there are plenty apps doing DNG import. We decided mlvapp to be dedicated MLV only solution.

Quote from: Levas on October 07, 2018, 02:13:12 PM
Just curious if Canon uses two different greens in the bayer filter.
Yes there are 2 different greens. They differ a bit in each RGGB. As far as I can tell from my experience Canon does not force exact same values for rGGb.

Danne

Quote from: bouncyball on October 09, 2018, 08:56:52 AM
Then it needs brand new importer and player. Besides there are plenty apps doing DNG import. We decided mlvapp to be dedicated MLV only solution.
Actually, I wouldn´t mind dng player functionality in Mlv App. Maybe not highest priority of course  :P

masc

Quote from: bouncyball on October 09, 2018, 08:56:52 AM
Yes there are 2 different greens. They differ a bit in each RGGB. As far as I can tell from my experience Canon does not force exact same values for rGGb.
Really? But then we would need a special debayer algorithm, or at least a adapted one - don't we?! All debayers I know "calculate the green to be green"...?!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on October 09, 2018, 10:29:09 AM
Really?
As I've seen these methods either pick just one green or, better, average both green values.

Edit: Usually difference between 2 greens is tiny. Could be the green filter manufacturing or just sensor property in this particular place or maybe some voltage fluctuation somewhere :) but diff is there.

Levas

I remember asking years ago if MLV_dump could rewrap a dng sequence back to a MLV file, the answer was the same as here, that would take a lot of time and code writing to be possible.
Just curious, to me as a noob on how (raw) files are organized, what is the difference between MLV and a DNG sequence ?
I would expect that a MLV file is a header with some exif info and then an enormous part of 14 bit raw data(and audio mixed in).
The 14 bit raw data part, isn't that the same written down/organized in a dng ?

I'm still fine with my mlv_dump -> dng -> RawTherapee workflow by the way.
No need to implement any of this, especially if it is too much time consuming.

bouncyball

Quote from: Levas on October 09, 2018, 04:46:01 PM
I remember asking years ago if MLV_dump could rewrap a dng sequence back to a MLV file, the answer was the same as here, that would take a lot of time and code writing to be possible.
Actually g3gg0's been doing this ages ago during early development (legacy RAW->DNG, DNG->legacy RAW, not MLV thought).

I would expect that a MLV file is a header with some exif info and then an enormous part of 14 bit raw data(and audio mixed in).
Well not exactly. The structure of MLV is a bit more complex than this.

The 14 bit raw data part, isn't that the same written down/organized in a dng ?
14bit raw data is same in DNG but endianness is changed to BIG (higher and lower bytes of the 16bit word is swapped). According to DNG spec 8 and 16 bit raw data can be little endian but other bit depth raw data have to be big endian. Hence when we are loading raw data frame from MLV (it is usually 10/12/14bit little endian) we change data endianness before saving it to DNG after quite large header with lots of dng tags.

Besides all original metadata from MLV is lost and we have to recompile it from dng header tags (not so nice part of this conversion). Some minor metadata, I believe, can not be recovered fully.

Enrico

Quote from: Danne on October 09, 2018, 08:30:05 AM
I wonder how the script will react to downloading dependencies in a virtual machine.

Steps are easy as masc says.

If you run the script for the first time it will ask for downloading dependencies so just say yes to all of those questions.

1 - Import the mlv file and go to export settings and select the script HDR_MOV.command

2 - Do your color correction etc and go to the export tab and send out your clip. When the file is ready the script will start creating the HDR file. End result will be a MOV file.

Ok I tried with your same settings, I downloaded and installed all the components but after the exportation from MLVApp this is what happen

any suggestion?

Danne

Well, that notifier can be used if you want to cancel processing. It also means the script is running, hopefully working. If it's working you should see files being processed inside a folder. Do you?
Also be patient. This workflow can take a while.

Enrico

Quote from: Danne on October 09, 2018, 08:09:43 PM
Well, that notifier can be used if you want to cancel processing. If it's working you should see files being processed inside a folder. Do you?
Also be patient. This workflow van take a while.
Okok it worked, I'm just not enough patient, thank you for your time. On the other hand which are the difficulties in implementing this script in windows?

masc

Quote from: Enrico on October 09, 2018, 09:00:56 PM
On the other hand which are the difficulties in implementing this script in windows?
Windows is different to Unix. And until now we haven't found a dev who is willing to port it to windows.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Enrico

Quote from: Ilia3101 on October 09, 2018, 10:05:45 PM
Windows is annoying
I know bro but a macbook pro costs like a used car, however it'll be my next computer :'(

Levas

bouncyball

Quote from: Levas on October 11, 2018, 05:22:45 PM
Great comment and true  :P
I got harmed twice then:
1st - when I bought brand new macbook pro 2017
2nd - when my daughter expropriated it 5 mins after I came home with my beloved purchase

:o

ilia3101

Linux is a good solution as it works pretty similar to macOS. Only thing I miss about macOS is the .app format for programs and translucency blur in the UI. Literally that's it ;)

I guess lack of Adobe software could be an issue for some.

theBilalFakhouri

Hello hard workers!

A small problem when enabling Dual ISO:

I have a clip with wrong white level Let's say it's 16200 and the correct one is 3005. After correcting white level directly in MLVApp (Setting it to 3005) then Applying Dual ISO everything goes wrong I think Dual ISO doesn't recognize the new White level it's applying the process in old white level which is wrong and makes everything wrong.

Okay what about correcting White Level in MLVApp (Setting it to 3005) then exporting it as MLV file then import it again and Applying Dual ISO .. Now everything is working right :P , Here is the two files before and after correcting white level same clip:
Download

How did I get this file?
Using Analog gain for making 10-Bit lossless working in higher resolution. I can get better recording times now in 1x3 Binning and other high resolution. And there are no vertical stripes when making the values the same in 8882 to 8888 ADTG registers (a1ex we should use them :D)

Thanks! :D

reddeercity

@ theBilalFakhouri just ran it thought mlvproducer it look ok with dual iso enabled at 16200 white level
so your saying that white needs to be @ 3005 ? I see it's has compression , reads normal .

I pushed the hi-lights a little too much , got a little pinkish , WB corrects it
here a frame  Uncorrected_Whit_Level_00003.tif]

bouncyball

@theBilalFakhouri

You always try to make my life "easyer" ;)

The latest version has fix for this. Link.

Notice how good it looks in comparison to previous posted picture :P

Danne

theBilalFakhouri

@reddeercity
Maybe it's different in MLVApp :P , the pinkish highlight because of uncorrected white level yes.

@bouncyball
Thanks for fixing! I have tested it it's working nicely :D

Anyone have read this suggestion? :
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.msg206744#msg206744

I still have that clip for testing :P

masc

@theBilalFakhouri: yes... we created an enhancement issue on our github page, to not forget it. :)

The problem with MLVProducer is, that all image data is cut (->thrown away) after exposure correction was calculated/rendered. So all later functions which lower the contrast (->bring more DR, like contrast slider itself, dualiso, most image profiles...) will bring artifacts and show what you see there. Saw that, when I studied the MLVProducers code, when I implemented our contrast slider. With my very first secret version I had the same problems and searched (and found) another solution ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

I might finish WhiteBalance re implementation today. No fast integer lut stuff, just a basic version for now. Highlights will work.

I'll also make it enable-able and disable-able