MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: Ilia3101 on September 23, 2018, 11:12:10 PM
@bouncyball Maybe MAPP should be done automatically? Like in MLRawViewer. As you've put so much work in to it. I guess the files could be annoying, but the quickness I personally like. Depends what everyone thinks about having loads of files like it was with MLRawViewer. And what about invisible mapp files? I know masc probably doesn't like that idea ;)
I love that it is switchable... for big projects I enable it (loading time is shorter), else I disable it (to not mess my disks).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

@megapolis

Quote from: megapolis on September 23, 2018, 02:52:01 PM
By the way, why wouldn't you add that index to MLV format? Everything is in your hands - just add to MLV specification such a feature at the end of file or you could allocate some space at the header to store offsets for each frame.
Well... that's not that pretty. File footer idea is not ideal. Adding allocated space like new header block is not good as well because this will require rewriting whole MLV and somehow calculate space required but this is impossible because very often video frame count in main header is wrong. Some metadata file like IDX, MRX, MAPP is better, you never touch original MLVs and can delete metadata files whenever you need.

Doing this in camera on the fly during recording not possible for sure.

In short, indexing is needed not only for fast access to frames but also for getting correct frame count and sort them all by timestamp (frames can be shuffled in mlv file).

BTW as I understand lossless decoding in fastcinemadgn is realized on CPU not GPU? You mentioned somewhere that you reworked the lossless decoding and it is way faster now. Am I correct?

bouncyball

@Ilia3101

@bouncyball Maybe MAPP should be done automatically? Like in MLRawViewer. As you've put so much work in to it. I guess the files could be annoying, but the quickness I personally like.
It is done automatically when checked in the menu (MAPP is generated once only when MLV is fully loaded though). Loading takes in consideration existing MAPP anyway, whether this feature is active in the menu or not.

I am a little uncomfortable about modifying files though
Exactly :D

megapolis

@bouncyball
QuoteBTW as I understand lossless decoding in fastcinemadgn is realized on CPU not GPU? You mentioned somewhere that you reworked the lossless decoding and it is way faster now. Am I correct?
Yes, this is correct, we do decoding on CPU. We've implemented our own algorithm to accelerate Lossless JPEG decoder on CPU. You can see more info and decoding benchmarks at https://www.fastcinemadng.com/info/jpeg/lossless-jpeg-decoder.html

Danne

@megapolis
I have an idea. Why not help the community out with some of your cpu code so we could speed up previewing in Mlv App?

megapolis

@Danne
QuoteI have an idea. Why not help the community out with some of your cpu code so we could speed up previewing in Mlv App?
Sorry, this decoder is not open source. Soon we are going to release open source application PGM2DNG to convert raw PGM images to DNG. I will publish the link to github as soon as it's ready.

bouncyball

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Enrico

Quote from: masc on September 24, 2018, 09:50:47 PM
There is a crypto key needed?! Can't download... sry.
sorry this is the key !3Vt1gbqOxR66ezSP04I0Rtr2LygegBXYGM2ujmrGC28

Danne

You have filmed in HDR not dualiso. You could use the included
script in the export settings to merge the two exposures and export to prores format(mac only):

70MM13

Here's a sample frame from a test shoot for an upcoming video I'm working on.

It is straight from mlvapp, showing that you can indeed do excellent grading with mlvapp.

I'm using the ISO experiments with my 5D3, dropping ISO 200 to 109.  No dual ISO used.  The foreground is full shadow, and the background is all full sun.  Beautiful dynamic range.

Mlvapp rocks!

ch_d

Hello.
I am new to MLV App and would like to know what is your best setting for the 5DM2.

Is it necessary to use: Raw Corrections like: Pattern Noise or Chroma Smooth?

Please share your experiences.

Thank you
5D MII

70MM13

Quote from: bouncyball on September 26, 2018, 09:02:49 AM
@70MM13

8) Cool!

It's nothing short of amazing, what we can do with these old cameras thanks to the efforts of the magic lantern community.

It just keeps getting better!

Exciting times.

masc

Quote from: ch_d on September 26, 2018, 11:14:43 AM
Hello.
I am new to MLV App and would like to know what is your best setting for the 5DM2.
Is it necessary to use: Raw Corrections like: Pattern Noise or Chroma Smooth?
There is no best setting. And there is no best setting for a special camera. Just use the settings your clip really needs. This may be different settings for each clip.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Enrico

Quote from: Danne on September 25, 2018, 12:04:30 PM
You have filmed in HDR not dualiso. You could use the included
script in the export settings to merge the two exposures and export to prores format(mac only):

Ok thanks but I don't have a mac, what could I do with windows?

bouncyball

Danne

Buy mac ;)
Kidding. But regarding the windows issue a cmd or powershell based script could work since all tools are available. Who should do it? Preferrably someone more experienced since I only done very few hours of cmd/powershell scripting.

Enrico

Quote from: Danne on September 27, 2018, 09:05:00 AM
Buy mac ;)
Kidding. But regarding the windows issue a cmd or powershell based script could work since all tools are available. Who should do it? Preferrably someone more experienced since I only done very few hours of cmd/powershell scripting.
Ok I'll try running a virtual machine with OSX but, why is the source code of MLV app different from mac to windows?

Danne

Script engine executes, well, scripts and it´s a post processing step outside the Mlv app environment. The idea behind this is to be able to expand and include ideas that otherwise would require heavy, timely c-based coding. Now we can make use of mac, linux, win based script engines too.

This was a cool feature added by the way(masc?):

masc

Quote from: Enrico on September 27, 2018, 09:32:09 AM
Ok I'll try running a virtual machine with OSX but, why is the source code of MLV app different from mac to windows?
Nearly all of MLVApp is cross plattform, except some single features - AVFoundation and Post-Script is OSX only atm. Post-Script could work on Windows as well, but someone has to be found implementing that.

Quote from: Danne on September 27, 2018, 09:53:22 AM
This was a cool feature added by the way(masc?):

Hehe, yes I did that - nealy identical to LR. I had the wish for a long time, now I was annoyed so much, that I got the idea how to implement. :D

I also started to write a kind of simple user manual. You can find it on the github wiki page. In next version it is also hardcoded into the app, under Help->Help.
https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/wiki
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

IDA_ML

BUG REPORT

It is time for a bug report, guys.  When experimenting with Dual ISO MLV files, (inspired by Bilal's miracles), I noticed the following bugs:

1) If I apply the MLV export option to Dual ISO files to convert them into normal MLV files (without the Dual ISO stripes), no conversion occurs on export.  The stripes are still on the exported MLV file.  This happens with both - the Fast pass and the Compressed option and also when Preview is activated on the Dual ISO panel. I did not notice any difference between the two export options (Fast pass and Compressed).

In my opinion, this is a very important fix since Dual ISO MLV to MLV export is pretty fast and could be used for archiving Dual ISO files in normal format that can then easily be opened with DaVinci Resolve using MLVFS.  It would also greatly enhance the overall workflow, since one could Cut-in and Cut-out unwanted portions from the clip to save disk space.  If also some basic corrections could be applied to the Dual ISO clip prior to MLV export, that would be golden!  I noticed that MLVApp applies such corrections to the MLV file but just fails to convert it to a regular MLV.

2) Processing Dual ISO files with the Dual ISO or Preview option activated on the RAW correction panel, provides an excellent and very clean on-screen preview and allows me to do all corrections to the clip that I want.  However, when I try to export it in some of the other export formats, different from MLV, e.g. the Prores 422LT, the following happens:  The first few seconds of the exported file are normally  exported and then MLVApp fails to convert the rest of the clip - the Dual ISO stripes appear again on the remaining unconverted footage.  This happens randomly and that is why I did not notice this bug earlier when I was playing with short Dual ISO files.  Today, I tried to work with longer Dual ISO clips - 20 to 40 sec. each and it converted sometimes just the first 2 to 3 sec. and sometimes conversion stopped after the 10-th, even the 20-th second leaving the rest unconverted.  This behavior is observed with Dual ISO footage from the 100D and a 5DMk3 that I had borrowed for a short while.  Unfortunately, files are huge and it is very difficult to choose a short one for upload in which conversion fails after the first one or two seconds.  So, please try to reproduce the bug with Dual ISO clips from whatever camera you have.  I recorded my test clips at 14-bit lossless using crop-recording on both cameras.

I hope, the above behavior can be reproduced also by other users, so please report your findings here.

masc

Thanks IDU_ML,

1) That's no bug - it is as expected. Dual ISO MLV to MLV export does not exist. MLV export is completely untouched RAW data, even RAW Correction is not applied. But could be an enhancement for the future... (@bb, is that theoretically possible?!) ... but then it would not be so fast.

2) Do you run the official MLVApp release, or did you compile yourself? 2nd was buggy for a while using openMP, and exactly this happened very often. In the last revisions bouncyball made some other changes on dual iso for more stability. Have you tried this? @bb: could you explain what you improved?
Unfortunately my 5D2 is not able to record dualiso MLV (or is it?!).

5D3.113 | EOSM.202