MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

@12georgiadis
Yes I read that, but it was implemented before... nice to hear it mostly works. I can't tell you what version of fcpxml is compatible - I have no spec and reverse engineered. I think your problem is, that Resolve renames the clips. Somewhere in the settings you can setup the clip names to real names. Maybe check this and it should work again. All MLVApps assistant needs is a coorect clip name. In the fcpxml I just search for e.g. <clip name="M04-1441"so I know I have to search for M04_1441.MLV in the folder you set in the assistant. If Resolve builds clip names of e.g. M04-1441_0000001-0000054 my assistant is lost atm. ;)

Edit: I see, Resolve is exactly doing what I expected plus I found another small bug. Will do a fix for all that...
Edit2: Done. All versions of fcpxml from Resolve opened fine now.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

12georgiadis

Quote from: masc on August 30, 2018, 08:10:20 AM
@12georgiadis
Yes I read that, but it was implemented before... nice to hear it mostly works. I can't tell you what version of fcpxml is compatible - I have no spec and reverse engineered. I think your problem is, that Resolve renames the clips. Somewhere in the settings you can setup the clip names to real names. Maybe check this and it should work again. All MLVApps assistant needs is a coorect clip name. In the fcpxml I just search for e.g. <clip name="M04-1441"so I know I have to search for M04_1441.MLV in the folder you set in the assistant. If Resolve builds clip names of e.g. M04-1441_0000001-0000054 my assistant is lost atm. ;)

Edit: I see, Resolve is exactly doing what I expected plus I found another small bug. Will do a fix for all that...
Edit2: Done. All versions of fcpxml from Resolve opened fine now.

Thanks Masc, I didn't know it was already implemented, I'm even more happy that someone else found this idea helpful !
OK, I'm going to test your new version.
I'll also test with a 5DmkIII h264 proxy + mlv recording footage.
What is cool is that resolve can maybe convert xml v5 from premiere pro cc / fcp7 & AAF from avid to Fcpxml, so you wouldn't have to implement these type of files. We have to test it too but if it works it can help for all kind of NLE !

masc

@12georgiadis: you can compile it? It is just commited to the repos. Cool, would be nice to know if it works fine with 5D3 proxys!
Hehe, yes, I went crazy with my own little projects: ~500 MLVs and only 50-100 of them were used in a project and have to be corrected/graded. Selecting these files manually was very time consuming and borring.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

12georgiadis

Quote from: masc on August 30, 2018, 03:37:30 PM
@12georgiadis: you can compile it? It is just commited to the repos. Cool, would be nice to know if it works fine with 5D3 proxys!
Hehe, yes, I went crazy with my own little projects: ~500 MLVs and only 50-100 of them were used in a project and have to be corrected/graded. Selecting these files manually was very time consuming and borring.
No, don't know how to compile... but if you have a tuto link, I can try. Same here 30 hour of footage and 1 hour at the end, I didn't want to find all clips manually =D By the way, I saw some new debayering algorithms. What is the best between IGV, LMMSE and Amaze ? Does MLV app works on CPU usage ? Or some the playback is GPU ?
Thanks!

Danne

masc

Compiling instructions can be found here: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App
You are on Windows? You just need a Qt5.6 or newer installation with MinGW, then download sources from github and follow the instructions. If you are on OSX, try Dannes compiler app, which leads you through...

Mostly AMaZE is the best demosaic algorithm. For some clips IGV or LMMSE may look a little better, specially if AMaZE brings some false color artifacts.

MLVApp still runs 100% on CPU, that is why it runs on nearly every computer from the last 10 years or older, no matter which OS (Win/Linux/OSX), what CPU or what GPU (if there is any at all). Since the last version we support much better multithreading, what made rendering up to double speed to before.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

12georgiadis

Quote from: Danne on August 30, 2018, 07:26:29 PM
Just use mlv app compiler in the first post...
Ok danne, I'm gonna try it ! Super cool that you made it more easier

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

12georgiadis

Quote from: masc on August 30, 2018, 07:33:09 PM
Compiling instructions can be found here: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App
You are on Windows? You just need a Qt5.6 or newer installation with MinGW, then download sources from github and follow the instructions. If you are on OSX, try Dannes compiler app, which leads you through...

Mostly AMaZE is the best demosaic algorithm. For some clips IGV or LMMSE may look a little better, specially if AMaZE brings some false color artifacts.

MLVApp still runs 100% on CPU, that is why it runs on nearly every computer from the last 10 years or older, no matter which OS (Win/Linux/OSX), what CPU or what GPU (if there is any at all). Since the last version we support much better multithreading, what made rendering up to double speed to before.
Thank you masc for all informations !
I'm on Mac so will try danne's app compiler !
Ok for amaze but do you think lmmse or igv can help to reduce aliasing ?
Ok for cpu, i understand and totally agree with this choice to keep things universal. And superb for multi threading !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

masc

Quote from: 12georgiadis on August 30, 2018, 09:48:33 PM
Ok for amaze but do you think lmmse or igv can help to reduce aliasing ?
No. ;) I have sometimes some colored artifacts in trees - these are a bit less with IGV... but therefor on clean surfaces you'll find a kind of structures.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

12georgiadis

@masc, @danne, is there a function that cut black frame on h264 + reset tc to zero to sync it with MLV ?

masc

Quote from: 12georgiadis on August 30, 2018, 10:01:58 PM
@masc, @danne, is there a function that cut black frame on h264 + reset tc to zero to sync it with MLV ?
No, importing h264 is not supported at all. I don't know if Danne is able to write a scipt for that...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

12georgiadis

12georgiadis

Quote from: masc on August 30, 2018, 09:57:50 PM
No. ;) I have sometimes some colored artifacts in trees - these are a bit less with IGV... but therefor on clean surfaces you'll find a kind of structures.
ok, good to know

RobinF

Quick question, what is your usual workflow when stretching squeezed raw files?
All my files are squeezed because  I shot in 1920 with 50 fps so 1920 x 482. Am using premiere pro, I seem to only be able to stretch them when they are already in my timeline and manually stretching the height until it fits my final sequence setting witch is 1920 x 816.

This already is not too comfortable working copying and pasting the height when importing clips into the timeline let alone previewing them in your source monitor when they are still squeezed.

Now I know Mlv APP does stretch them in some way, only that some programs don't recognise the data included to a raw sequence and that Premiere Pro doesn't. Lightroom and After Effects seem to automatically read the data and stretches the footage to 1920 x 816.

Is there another, faster and more ergonomic way to do this is my question? Stretching the height of the footage before editing in premiere pro?

Thanks!

masc

Quote from: RobinF on September 01, 2018, 05:05:54 PM
Now I know Mlv APP does stretch them in some way, only that some programs don't recognise the data included to a raw sequence and that Premiere Pro doesn't. Lightroom and After Effects seem to automatically read the data and stretches the footage to 1920 x 816.

Is there another, faster and more ergonomic way to do this is my question? Stretching the height of the footage before editing in premiere pro?
This happens only if you are using cDNG. You could also color correct in MLVApp and export in ProRes or another format. Or you stretch manually in Premiere, what means 100% the same, because stretching in cDNG is just metadata, no "real" stretching inside the cDNG.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

70MM13

I'm amazed at the results obtainable with mlvapp's elegant and uncluttered controls!

One thing that would come in really handy is being able to store and retrieve receipts quickly from ram with keyboard shortcuts, similar to resolve's "memories".  They use the number keys, plus alt to store or Ctrl to load.

Something like this would be excellent for powerful workflow on grading clips.

Also, any chance of high colour depth jpeg 2000 MOV export?  It is a very nice format in resolve, and maybe it would work well with mlvapp!

Mlvapp is an awesome program!

masc

Thanks @70MM13. You mean having multiple "slots" for receipts, than just one (as it is now)? That is no bad idea and should work somehow. I'll think about how to integrate that.
JPEG2000 as mov... hm... now I got only as sequence, right?! MotionJPEG is also something different?! (Don't know exactly these codecs, sry.) If ffmpeg can do that (maybe you found a call somewhere?), MLVApp could do that in future too! ;)

Edit: found somewhere ffmpeg -y -t 1 -i OUT2.mov -vcodec j2k -pix_fmt yuv422p -an -strict experimental testj2k.mov ... I'll try that out one day...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

No matter how many bits I want, ffmpeg gives 8bit. Here what we could get (5D2 example):
General
Complete name                            : /Users/masc/Desktop/M15-1953.mov
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : QuickTime
Codec ID                                 : qt   0000.02 (qt  )
File size                                : 6.18 MiB
Duration                                 : 342 ms
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 152 Mb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf57.71.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : JPEG 2000
Format profile                           : No restrictions
Codec ID                                 : mjp2
Duration                                 : 320 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 160 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 856 pixels
Height                                   : 1 044 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:4:4
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 3.310
Stream size                              : 6.12 MiB (99%)
Language                                 : English
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

70MM13

No worries on the jpeg 2000...  It was just hopeful thinking.

Multiple slots for receipts would be far more important!!!

Thanks!

swinxx

WOOOHHOOOO.. i was long away from MLV and my CAM.. Now making some testshots and found THIS APP!!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR YOU EFFORT.. THANK YOU MAGIC LANTERN AND THE DEVELOPER(S) OF THIS AMAZIN GEM! THIS IS IT! WWOOOHHHOOOOOO

EOS M dude 1

It would be fantastic if MLV app had an option that combines the movie clips together when converting so it will be one whole file not many seperated.

ilia3101

Quote from: swinxx on September 04, 2018, 03:52:55 PM
WOOOHHOOOO.. i was long away from MLV and my CAM.. Now making some testshots and found THIS APP!!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR YOU EFFORT.. THANK YOU MAGIC LANTERN AND THE DEVELOPER(S) OF THIS AMAZIN GEM! THIS IS IT! WWOOOHHHOOOOOO
:)

The kind of reaction I was expecting to get from myself while intially creating it, except I was the one making it, so reacting to my own creation would have been weird.

So that is perfect thank you :D

RobinF

Quote from: masc on September 01, 2018, 08:01:36 PM
This happens only if you are using cDNG. You could also color correct in MLVApp and export in ProRes or another format. Or you stretch manually in Premiere, what means 100% the same, because stretching in cDNG is just metadata, no "real" stretching inside the cDNG.

There has to be a better way than color correcting in the mlv app? What's the point shooting in raw when you have to color grade prores in davinchi or basic grade raw in the mlv app?
Okay you have the ability to get a prores file from your dslr wich normally isn't possible but then again you could also use a external recorder to record in prores.

It's not impossible this way but really inconvenient watching compressed footage and manually stretching them, someone has to have the ultimate workflow for this right?

Thanks!