MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncyball

Quote from: feureau on July 08, 2018, 04:05:36 AM
First MLV will complete render just fine, then MLVApp will crash on second or third MLV.
Is it crashing if you change the order of clips?

masc

Quote from: feureau on July 08, 2018, 04:05:36 AM
MLV.App.v0.17.alpha.Win64.static keeps crashing when batch exporting with Dark Frame Subtraction enabled.

Steps to reproduce:

Import multiple MLVs into Session, enable DarkFrame Subtraction Ext with pre-prepared MLVs for each file, batch export all MLVs as prores.

First MLV will complete render just fine, then MLVApp will crash on second or third MLV.
Don't get it reproduced. Can do this with 20 clips and more - no crash, all works fine. Would really like to know what causes this on your PC with your clips... :(
Do you have some coding skills? I think best would be to run MLVApp via debugger on your PC. The debugger tells us in which line it crashes.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on July 08, 2018, 10:01:09 AM
Do you have some coding skills? I think best would be to run MLVApp via debugger on your PC. The debugger tells us in which line it crashes.
@masc: +1

Edit: BTW congrats! you've become a Hero Member :D

masc

Quote from: bouncyball on July 08, 2018, 11:19:47 AM
Edit: BTW congrats! you've become a Hero Member :D
LOL... yeah... thanks. In 5 days it is one year ago, when I started programming the GUI with Ilias processing code! ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Quote from: masc on July 07, 2018, 11:39:31 PM
@IDA_ML: thanks! Looks great! Could you provide the clip with the blinking highlight? Maybe my chosen recovery-range is to small...

Hello Masc,

Here is one of my 100D test clips that has the pink highlight glitch in the window area after processing with v.017.  All you need to do is open it in MLVApp, activate Dual ISO, make corrections to your liking and export it in H.265.  Then, you should be able to see the pink area. 

https://we.tl/EMglnJjFZO

Keep up this excellent work!

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on July 08, 2018, 11:26:03 AM
LOL... yeah... thanks. In 5 days it is one year ago, when I started programming the GUI with Ilias processing code! ;)
Hm... we must celebrate "QT App" birthday then :D

Danne

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on July 08, 2018, 11:27:03 AM
Hello Masc,

Here is one of my 100D test clips that has the pink highlight glitch in the window area after processing with v.017.  All you need to do is open it in MLVApp, activate Dual ISO, make corrections to your liking and export it in H.265.  Then, you should be able to see the pink area. 
Thanks @IDA_ML. This clip is perfect for debuggin... I get other effects on rendering than you... depending on how many cores of the processor are rendering (on dual core it does not blink, but real pink color areas are filtered). I think I have still have to change some things in the highlight recovery algrorithm for dual iso... that is so tricky...

@bouncyball & Danne... 8) do we need some birthday cake? 🎂 🍰 :D
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

feureau

Quote from: bouncyball on July 08, 2018, 08:44:56 AM
Is it crashing if you change the order of clips?

I tried reimporting the clips with different order but it still happens.

Quote from: masc on July 08, 2018, 10:01:09 AM
Don't get it reproduced. Can do this with 20 clips and more - no crash, all works fine. Would really like to know what causes this on your PC with your clips... :(

I never used QT before so I'm not sure if I can get anything useful, but let me see if I can set it up.

Anyway, is it possible that it's caused by having the .mlv darkframes in a separate drive? (regular spinning disk HDD, not SSD)

masc

Quote from: feureau on July 08, 2018, 01:04:43 PM
I tried reimporting the clips with different order but it still happens.

I never used QT before so I'm not sure if I can get anything useful, but let me see if I can set it up.

Anyway, is it possible that it's caused by having the .mlv darkframes in a separate drive? (regular spinning disk HDD, not SSD)
I can't tell how to setup a 64bit version. 32bit (MinGW) is just downloading and installing. Download repos, open .pro in QtCreator, select Debug toolchain, build, start debugging. Then do what you always do - BAMM - and the debugger should show the line.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: masc on July 08, 2018, 11:26:03 AM
Quote from: bouncyball on July 08, 2018, 11:29:26 AM
Hm... we must celebrate "QT App" birthday then :D

thanks for the reminder :)

and wow... a year 😍

@bouncyball @masc also why do we still call it alpha? I would say it's at/past beta stability already ;) Can we soon make a 1.0 release?

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on July 08, 2018, 12:30:01 PM
@bouncyball & Danne... 8) do we need some birthday cake? 🎂 🍰 :D
Yes that is perfect: biiig cake (for everybody on a party) with one candle :D

bouncyball

Quote from: Ilia3101 on July 08, 2018, 02:30:31 PM
@bouncyball @masc also why do we still call it alpha? I would say it's at/past beta stability already ;) Can we soon make a 1.0 release?
That is the good question! Can we? :) And call it anniversary release?

Danne

Release it already. I want plenty cream on my cake  :P.

bouncyball

ilia3101

Yes let's do an anniversary release. I hope to get a small/big processing improvement done in time.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Ilia3101 on July 08, 2018, 05:46:39 PM
Yes let's do an anniversary release. I hope to get a small/big processing improvement done in time.

Do you mean to say that MLVApp is going to render faster?  Right now it renders painfully slow but it does the job. Recently, I let it render about 30 GB of MLV footage on a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo laptop overnight and when I woke up on the next morning it hadn't finished yet.  So, a speed improvement would be more than welcome!

ilia3101

Quote from: IDA_ML on July 08, 2018, 06:04:37 PM
Do you mean to say that MLVApp is going to render faster?  Right now it renders painfully slow but it does the job. Recently, I let it render about 30 GB of MLV footage on a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo laptop overnight and when I woke up on the next morning it hadn't finished yet.  So, a speed improvement would be more than welcome!

Are you using the "RAW Correction" tab? If so, which ones. Focus pixels, stripes etc... sometimes they take the longest

Sadly this improvement isn't speed, I could do openCL but it seems like there's a lot of stuff going on in processing now and getting it to work together might be a bit of a struggle (until big rewrite, if that happens ever).

I once rendered a 6 minute video with MLV App, that took 37 minutes. Yes it's quite slow, not sure what slows it down the most, encoding, processing or corrections.

IDA_ML

Ilia,

Yes, I use the "RAW Correction" functions a lot:  focus pixels, bad pixels and Dual ISO lately.  But I also apply highlight recovery to every overexposed clip, sometimes LUTs as well as sharpening and chroma smoothing to the footage.  The latter cleans chroma noise nicely. In addition to that I apply all usual basic corrections to the clips.  Finally, I export to ProRes and the clips are ready for assembling the final movie.  This workflow works well for me, especialy on my old laptop that does not support DaVinci Resolve and that I use all the time when traveling. I often use Filmora for the final cut and it works very well on it.   I only wish, MLVApp export was faster.

Kanakori

Hi guys! Can someone explain what the deflicker target option is? Does it remove flicker and what are the best values to use..

VGT

Hi, guys!

Just downloaded the new version of the App: looks great, so many new features, - thanks a lot for updating the great application!
My question: I use 7D and the vertical banding noise in the shadows is driving me mad...(((
I tried to fix it with the "pattern noise" function in MLV App. It changed the view of noise a little, it became more pleasant, but the new ugly artifacts appeared, making the footage unusable.
Also tried to use dark frame subtraction, loaded the .MLV file shot with the cap on the lens - no visible changes at all.
Other options in the "RAW correction" tab don't help with banding noise either.

Question 1: Can anyone give me an advice how to fix 7D BANDING, using the App?
And  2: How should I use Dark frame subtraction correctly - where to read about it?? - should it be a still image or video and how to guess it works or not?
Thanks!

Danne

Try around 3000-5000. @dmilligan created this first in mlvfs...

bouncyball

Quote from: Kanakori on July 09, 2018, 03:29:45 PM
Hi guys! Can someone explain what the deflicker target option is? Does it remove flicker and what are the best values to use..
It works only in one case: IF you export DNGs and IF the tag which inserted into dng header correctly interpreted by the app which loads and processes DNGs.

ilia3101

Quote from: IDA_ML on July 08, 2018, 08:55:22 PM
Yes, I use the "RAW Correction" functions a lot:  focus pixels, bad pixels and Dual ISO lately.

Some of those algorithms, especially dual ISO will just be slow, they are very complex(also good btw), and I wouldn't even go near them in code as I don't know how they work or how I could make them faster.
Unfortunately it might just be a fact of life that some are slow :(

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on July 08, 2018, 08:55:22 PM
Yes, I use the "RAW Correction" functions a lot:  focus pixels, bad pixels and Dual ISO lately.  But I also apply highlight recovery to every overexposed clip, sometimes LUTs as well as sharpening and chroma smoothing to the footage.  The latter cleans chroma noise nicely. ...  I only wish, MLVApp export was faster.

Quote from: Ilia3101 on July 09, 2018, 10:19:38 PM
Some of those algorithms, especially dual ISO will just be slow, they are very complex(also good btw), and I wouldn't even go near them in code as I don't know how they work or how I could make them faster.
Unfortunately it might just be a fact of life that some are slow :(

Yapp, unfortunately dual iso and most of the RAW Corrections are written for single core only atm and I also don't really understand how it works. For most RAW Corrections that is no big deal because they are fast. But dual iso is another story...
All the processing and debayer stuff is multithreaded already... so this part is not sooo slow - we got >20fps on i7 machines for "normal" clips. The good thing of the slower non-OpenCL SW architecture is: it works on nearly every computer instead of many other programs. First OpenCL tests were working on bouncyballs computer, but I got only crashes because I don't have such hardware :D
5D3.113 | EOSM.202