MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

masc

Quote from: andy kh on July 05, 2018, 09:35:28 PM
here i have a short mlv of color artifacts of trees. can anyone check if it can also be removed
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dQHbwIzPQaaJkDtUXLwpNPc6CMQyuULa/view?usp=sharing
Moving trees is perfect for the ffmpeg filter:
without

with (3 pass + unsharp mask)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

andy kh

#masc  amazing. i have been struggling with this problem with my 70D.  not only the trees but it has gone from iron fenching
5D Mark III - 70D

andy kh

for me higher resolutoin is not priority as i can scale up using after effects but a clean good raw image is the top priority
5D Mark III - 70D

50mm1200s

Quote from: masc on July 05, 2018, 09:48:51 PM
Moving trees is perfect for the ffmpeg filter:
without
with (3 pass + unsharp mask)

Very cool. I think, though, the unsharp filter have has too big ratio. What about this (copied from @Danne post - ratio 3 instead of 5):

moireeFilter.append( QString( "unsharp=3:3:0.6:3:3:0," ) );

Or maybe no unsharp at all?

dfort

@mesebar2

The video2 file shows some extreme brick issues. Using the MLV App alias fixing tool I couldn't get any improvement. There are also some other issues with the shot that I couldn't fix so I went back to mlv_dump and ACR to see what I could do with it.

First of all, this is what mlv_dump -v reports:

Frames Video: 170
    Res:  1728x584
      black_level      2047
      white_level      5586
      sampling        5x3 (read 1 line, skip 4, bin 3 columns)
     Camera Name:   'Canon EOS M'

You trimmed it down to 10 frames -- thanks for that!

There's an issue with pink highlights that affected the ML build you were using but that can be corrected. MLV App has a RAW White Level slider but I couldn't get rid of the pink highlights. Back to good old mlv_dump:

mlv_dump --white-fix=4931 -o video2_fixed.mlv video2.mlv

The fixed mlv still didn't look right in MLV App so back again:

mlv_dump --dng video2_fixed.mlv

It looks pretty good.

Notice the moiré pattern on the bricks:

One of the "interesting" things I noticed when running the "Smooth aliasing" scripts is that when using the 1 pass option it created 8 TIFF files and with the 3 pass option it saved only 4 files. Ran a 3 pass option on a much longer clip and it chopped off 6 frames so it looks like you'll loose a few frames when using the "Smooth aliasing" options.

[EDIT]
@masc - So the reason we can't fix the bricks is because there is no motion? This is also an issue when trying to shoot a "super-resolution" shot. You need some movement or it won't work. I made a post about this a while back, Large image, low fps vs. Small image, high fps.

Danne

I think minimum when using smooth aliasing option is around 10 frames by the way...
@50mm1200s
Yeah, unsharp setting could be optional. Remember it's all just a starting point atm...

mesebar2

I'm happy the clip I provided had the kind of problems you guys were looking for :)

@dfort
That was the first clip I ever recorded with the camera, and when I saw the moire on the bricks I told myself it would be best to use it in crop_rec from that moment on

Feel free to let me know if I can help in other ways, that is recording clips... Or telling you about the best places where to eat and drink in Venice ;D

Danne

@dfort, @bouncyball
Is it possible to transcode pixel coordinates into a fpm list? Let's say you create your own "dcraw" coordinates and then needs them working with fpm lists in mlvfs etc? Maybe doable through fpm utility?

masc

Quote from: dfort on July 05, 2018, 10:54:05 PM
There's an issue with pink highlights that affected the ML build you were using but that can be corrected. MLV App has a RAW White Level slider but I couldn't get rid of the pink highlights.
Really? No such problem for me. Just lower White level (while RAW Correction is enabled) and enable Highlight Reconstruction. Pink highlights are gone...

One of the "interesting" things I noticed when running the "Smooth aliasing" scripts is that when using the 1 pass option it created 8 TIFF files and with the 3 pass option it saved only 4 files. Ran a 3 pass option on a much longer clip and it chopped off 6 frames so it looks like you'll loose a few frames when using the "Smooth aliasing" options.
Japp... but I can't tell you yet where the "lost" frames are and why they get lost. But had that issue as well. It seems each ffmpeg filter call cuts 2 frames.

@masc - So the reason we can't fix the bricks is because there is no motion? This is also an issue when trying to shoot a "super-resolution" shot. You need some movement or it won't work. I made a post about this a while back, Large image, low fps vs. Small image, high fps.
My filter idea works in a similar way as a motion blur, but without really bluring. So if there is no motion, nothing will happen.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

I like to announce that v0.17 is out now:

-fixes for dual iso (processing and export)
-new highlight reconstruction for dual iso clips
-added 1D/3D LUT (.cube) support
-added sliders for RAW black and white level (& export corrected MLV / DNG)
-double click sliders for default value
-added white balance picker 🎉 (for grey and skin tone)
-added smoothing filter via ffmpeg export (cleans aliasing artifacts)
-added uncompressed AVI V210 export codec

Minimum OS:
-OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion
-Windows 7
-Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/releases/tag/QTv0.17alpha
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: Danne on July 06, 2018, 08:47:40 AM
@dfort, @bouncyball
Is it possible to transcode pixel coordinates into a fpm list? Let's say you create your own "dcraw" coordinates and then needs them working with fpm lists in mlvfs etc? Maybe doable through fpm utility?
I don't quite understand your point

Give me sample :)

timbytheriver

Hi

Just testing:

v0.17 freezes up (App not responding / beachball) with 3-pass anti-alias when export to .mov reaches 100%  Resulting .mov file is unplayable.

v0.16 Was working fine on Export.

Mac 10.11.6
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

bouncyball

Quote from: Danne on July 06, 2018, 02:00:20 PM
Convert these?
Ah, what software generated this? Our previous good old mlv_dump? ;)

In this case in order to convert them we need the frame resolution, raw buffer resolution and panpos or offset x,y.

Danne

Created in imageJ and the converted to a formatto be used with your version of mlv_dump.
Well, let'say I provide above info, could this transcoding be automated? I also assume the map files should be built from the raw buffer resolution rather than from frame resolution?

GianlucaM83

Quote from: timbytheriver on July 06, 2018, 02:25:06 PM
Hi
Just testing:
v0.17 freezes up (App not responding / beachball) with 3-pass anti-alias when export to .mov reaches 100%  Resulting .mov file is unplayable.
Mac 10.11.6
Hi!
Same here but on Windows 10 x64.
If I export in Appleprores 4444 with smooth aliasing 3 pass + unsharp mask. trying to import the file into adobe premiere cc 2018 as the error message "file has no audio or video streams" keeps appearing.
No problem at all with "smooth aliasing" option turned off.
Do you have any suggestions?

masc

Quote from: timbytheriver on July 06, 2018, 02:25:06 PM
Hi

Just testing:

Mac 10.11.6

Quote from: GianlucaM83 on July 06, 2018, 10:49:39 PM
Hi!
Same here but on Windows 10 x64.
If I export in Appleprores 4444 with smooth aliasing 3 pass + unsharp mask. trying to import the file into adobe premiere cc 2018 as the error message "file has no audio or video streams" keeps appearing.
No problem at all with "smooth aliasing" option turned off.
Do you have any suggestions?

3-pass anti-alias was not existant in offical v0.16. Have you been waiting until MLVApp brought "Export finished"? I guess not. When process bar is at 100%, MLVApp rendering is done and ffmpeg filter starts its 3pass work - it is not possible to measure the progress here, thats why you see the 100% a very long time. For a 10 sec clip you'll see the 100% for 5-20 minutes until it is done, depending on your hardware. If you stop export before, file is not playable.
Other suggestion: your clip was smaller than 10 frames - as posted some posts above about 10frames is minimum to get a working export with 3-pass anti-alias.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: masc on July 06, 2018, 11:41:33 PM
3-pass anti-alias was not existant in offical v0.16. Have you been waiting until MLVApp brought "Export finished"? I guess not. When process bar is at 100%, MLVApp rendering is done and ffmpeg filter starts its 3pass work - it is not possible to measure the progress here,...

Yes this is true I thought in the first the App wasn't responding but after couple of minuets it finished. So what about a message telling us when reaching 100%: "Applying 3-pass anti-alias. Please wait..." or something like that .

bakersdozen

Thanks for the update! LUT support is a game changer  :)
Is there anyway to bypass adding a curve at all? Ie. to be able use a LUT designed for straight out of camera raw as in Hunters LUT or EOSHD 5D3 LUT? These were primarily designed for use in resolve directly on the CDNGs. It would be awesome to be able to apply these within MlvApp without having any curve applied prior and going straight to ProRes export. Is this a possibility?
EOS M + 5D3

reddeercity

Quote from: masc on July 06, 2018, 12:45:58 PM
I like to announce that v0.17 is out now:
-added uncompressed AVI V210 export codec
why a use a very chunky AVI codec (1.5Gb/s) ?
IMO there's far better open source  AVI codec  out there ,  it's nearly impossible be to work with .
(when i use to edit video on a pc platform (before i wised up and fell in to the MAC world of video) i use to use
V210 plus others , but it was very painful . I did find a very good AVI open source codec that uses wavelet compression .
similar to QT Apple(not ffmeg) Prores 4444XQ and the old Cineform . The great thing is it can encode to 12bit as will as good old 10bit .
That always been the problem with  AVI ,  limited to either 8bit or 10bit  no 12 or 16bit  :(
the codec is called  "zoe-lossless-codec" to download codec or source code go to https://github.com/edanvoye/zoe-lossless-codec , supports 32 & 64 bit windows
looks like it's based on Huffman codec  the last commit was to add 12bit support see link Version 1.1.1 - Add packed 10 bit grayscale and 12 bit grayscale
Anyways it's just my 2 cents worth
:)

IDA_ML

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to Bouncyball, Masc and Ilia3101 for this wonderful ML tool !!!

My very first and brief impressions on the v.017:
-------------------------------------------------------
I used som 2320x1304 (16:9) footage from the 100D for the tests

1) White balance tool - a long awaited feature that works very well;
2) Highlight reconstruction does a very good job now.  Not only it removes the pink cast of blown up highlight areas but also reconstructs quite a bit of detail.  Extremely useful!
3) My favorite one is the MLV export.  Setting Cut-in and -out points, cleaning the focus dots and save as compressed MLV is extremely useful.  The resulting files open nicely in Resolve via MLVFS.

Keep testing, it's a lot of FUN !

GianlucaM83

Quote from: masc on July 06, 2018, 11:41:33 PM
3-pass anti-alias was not existant in offical v0.16. Have you been waiting until MLVApp brought "Export finished"? I guess not. When process bar is at 100%, MLVApp rendering is done and ffmpeg filter starts its 3pass work - it is not possible to measure the progress here, thats why you see the 100% a very long time. For a 10 sec clip you'll see the 100% for 5-20 minutes until it is done, depending on your hardware. If you stop export before, file is not playable.
Other suggestion: your clip was smaller than 10 frames - as posted some posts above about 10frames is minimum to get a working export with 3-pass anti-alias.

Thanks for the clarifications.
currently I'm trying with a video that contains 659 frames
I wait until the message " export is ready" appears. this advice appears after only a few seconds that the bar has reached 100%. the duration of the complete export process is about four minutes for entire video.
maybe a record video could explain better than my bad english:
in this video there is the whole export procedure. I exported only 100 frames of not edited video, to speed up the process.
https://youtu.be/b6iqG3AXDxI
Thx for help! :)

bouncyball

Quote from: Danne on July 06, 2018, 09:52:33 PM
Well, let'say I provide above info, could this transcoding be automated?
Well, I think yes. I have to take a deeper look.