MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

With this little app you can look into the clips and look what exactly is coded: https://mediaarea.net/
AVI uncompressed is not AVI uncompressed. ffmpeg offers more than a hand full different uncompressed AVI... we've chosen the "rawvideo" one. But I still don't understand why you've chosen AVI instead of CDNG when working with Premiere. Do you color correct in MLVApp? Then it could be useful.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kanakori

escho

Quote from: Enrico on July 01, 2018, 05:40:28 PM
Ok but Premiere actually opens uncompressed AVI from After Effects, so if there is no codec what's the problem?

The asi-container from mlvapp, is specially made for the needs of astronomical stuff.  Some astronomical software need exact this format as input.
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

IDA_ML

Danne,

I tried chroma smoothing with MLVApp applied to a 3096x1320@15fps file from the 100D to remove focus dots.  The 2x2 setting dampened the dots but did not remove them.  The 3x3 setting killed them totaly but I did not like the result.  The look is too clean, plastic and digital.  The effect is very much like noise reduction.  Is chroma smoothing supposed to work that way?  I think, focus pixel maps do a much better job.

I also tried Batch_MLV as you suggested but it did not work for me.  It just exports the audio file and puts the original MLV file into a separate folder.  No DNGs.

Danne

Might be needing the setting relaxed set in batch_mlv. Or it´s maybe too old  :P

Enrico

Quote from: masc on July 01, 2018, 07:03:14 PM
With this little app you can look into the clips and look what exactly is coded: https://mediaarea.net/
AVI uncompressed is not AVI uncompressed. ffmpeg offers more than a hand full different uncompressed AVI... we've chosen the "rawvideo" one. But I still don't understand why you've chosen AVI instead of CDNG when working with Premiere. Do you color correct in MLVApp? Then it could be useful.
Is it a bad idea to color correct in premiere using a regulation layer? I personally don't like using CDNG becouse requires extra passages and also after effects render really slowly on my pc (I don't know why it doesn't use my GTX 960M, I tried different tutorials, instead premiere do it and of couse is much faster). Is there any tool which convert AVI from MLVapp in the kind of AVI supported by premiere?

Enrico

Quote from: escho on July 01, 2018, 09:10:25 PM
The asi-container from mlvapp, is specially made for the needs of astronomical stuff.  Some astronomical software need exact this format as input.
Yes AVI from MLVapp are enormous but AVI from after effects made from DNG are even bigger. Sorry for the questions but this is my first approach to videomaking.

masc

@Enrico: Uncompressed AVI is processed 8bit video. So you have to adapt whitebalance and exposure, maybe more to not loose too much information. Again: if you do that, it's no big deal. Filesize plays not the biggest role in terms of quality ;) In cDNG the 14bit RAW from the sensor is untouched. Sure that is slower in Premiere... ProRes is somewhere between: 10-/12bit processed video (depending on chosen encoder).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on July 01, 2018, 10:13:40 PM
I tried chroma smoothing with MLVApp applied to a 3096x1320@15fps file from the 100D to remove focus dots.  The 2x2 setting dampened the dots but did not remove them.  The 3x3 setting killed them totaly but I did not like the result.  The look is too clean, plastic and digital.  The effect is very much like noise reduction.  Is chroma smoothing supposed to work that way?  I think, focus pixel maps do a much better job.
Chroma smoothing and focus pixel removal are two very different things. Yes, chroma smoothing filters also focus pixels... but also a lot more (the algorithms does its job for each pixel in your picture). Focus pixel removal only removes focus pixels, so it is a lot faster and looks better for this task.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Enrico

Quote from: masc on July 02, 2018, 11:07:17 AM
@Enrico: Uncompressed AVI is processed 8bit video. So you have to adapt whitebalance and exposure, maybe more to not loose too much information. Again: if you do that, it's no big deal. Filesize plays not the biggest role in terms of quality ;) In cDNG the 14bit RAW from the sensor is untouched. Sure that is slower in Premiere... ProRes is somewhere between: 10-/12bit processed video (depending on chosen encoder).
I record with a 700D in 10bit but are you saying that the AVI from MLVapp is only 8 bit? I don't understand, I'm so confused  :(

IDA_ML

Thank you for this explanation, Masc.

The reason I wanted to use chroma smoothing for removing  focus pixels is that the new focus pixel maps are not ready yet and it may take a while until they get updated.  But I wanted focus pixel free files to be able to judge the quality of the new 4K files from the 100D.  I was very surprised to see that chroma smoothing affects the overall video quality in a perceptible way - something that I did not expect.  That is why I asked.

Danne

I think a darkframe file and cs2x2 could be a good compromise.
dfort asked for a file as well for updating maps so that is an idea as well.

IDA_ML

Quote from: masc on June 13, 2018, 04:52:07 PM
Today I got some standard clips from a 7D. MLVApp is not able to reconstruct the highlights for all these 7D clips. Did anyone else had such problems with your 7D footage (or maybe also other cams)? Please report! ;)
I found a temp solution (which is not really nice but working) and I would like to test a bit around before releasing a bugfix...

Masc,

I have the 100D and "Highlight reconstruction" does not seem to do anything on MLV files from that camera either.  Slightly overexopsed highlights stay pink all the time, no matter what I do.  I use the latest v.016 of MLVApp.  I hope, this issue can be fixed because Highlight reconstruction is a very important function.  Would you like me to send you some 100D footage?  If yes, please write down the command that I can use to shorten the clips here.  I cannot find it.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on July 02, 2018, 11:30:31 AM
I think a darkframe file and cs2x2 could be a good compromise.
dfort asked for a file as well for updating maps so that is an idea as well.

Danne,

I will provide to Dfort all the files that he needs to update the focus pixel maps for the 100D.  I will do that as soon as it is clear what the final RAW-video resolutions will be for that camera.  I am not sure if that is clear yet.  Porting 4k-crop recording to the Rebels is still bleeding edge and in progress, isn't it?  If you can suggest a resolution that will remain unchanged, I will shoot and provide the files for it as soon as possible.

Danne

50mm1200s

Quote from: Enrico on July 02, 2018, 01:41:11 AM
Is there any tool which convert AVI from MLVapp in the kind of AVI supported by premiere?

ffmpeg or Handbrake. You can easily install ffmpeg through Chocolatey (if you work on windows) or Homebrew (if on mac).

I record with a 700D in 10bit but are you saying that the AVI from MLVapp is only 8 bit? I don't understand, I'm so confused

No, uncompressed AVI from MLVApp seems to be 12bit, but the chroma subsampling is 4:2:0.
ProRes and DNxHR are nearly lossless, have subsampling of 4:4:4 and are 10-bit. Just use these... please. There's no need to complicate.
If you really want a lossless workflow, MLVApp is probably not what you're looking to use. Check Resolve, in this case.

bouncyball

I've added Uncompressed AVI v210 (4:2:2 10bit) to the export list. It is supported by any NLEs. You just have to compile MLV App yourself.

bouncyball

Quote from: 50mm1200s on July 02, 2018, 12:13:29 PM
No, uncompressed AVI from MLVApp seems to be 12bit, but the chroma subsampling is 4:2:0.
It is not 12bits, it's 8 bit (indeed 4:2:0)

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on July 02, 2018, 11:38:36 AM
Masc,

I have the 100D and "Highlight reconstruction" does not seem to do anything on MLV files from that camera either.  Slightly overexopsed highlights stay pink all the time, no matter what I do.  I use the latest v.016 of MLVApp.  I hope, this issue can be fixed because Highlight reconstruction is a very important function.  Would you like me to send you some 100D footage?  If yes, please write down the command that I can use to shorten the clips here.  I cannot find it.
Sure, I take all I can get for testing, debugging and further development! ;) THX! (I bet whitelevel in the file is wrong.) Shorten the clip via CutIn / CutOut and export as MLV.

Uncompressed AVI in v0.16 - 8bit 4:2:0
Uncompressed AVI by bouncyball - 10bit 4:2:2
ProRes ffmpeg - 10bit 4:2:2 or 4:4:4
ProRes AVFoundation - 12bit 4:2:2 or 4:4:4

@Enrico: 10bit from your sensor is different to 10bit processed video (in terms of values which are represented inside these 10bits).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

squig

Quote from: Enrico on July 02, 2018, 01:41:11 AM
Is it a bad idea to color correct in premiere using a regulation layer? I personally don't like using CDNG becouse requires extra passages and also after effects render really slowly on my pc (I don't know why it doesn't use my GTX 960M, I tried different tutorials, instead premiere do it and of couse is much faster). Is there any tool which convert AVI from MLVapp in the kind of AVI supported by premiere?

After Effects video frame rendering is CPU only. Use AE CS6 or CC 2014 for multiprocessor rendering, it's much slower (single processor) in CC 2015 onwards. Resolve is much faster.

50mm1200s

Quote from: bouncyball on July 02, 2018, 12:33:54 PM
It is not 12bits, it's 8 bit (indeed 4:2:0)

Well, exiftool is giving me wrong informations:

ExifTool Version Number         : 8.03
File Name                       : M21-1816.avi
Directory                       : .
File Size                       : 113 MB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2018:07:02 07:09:15-03:00
File Permissions                : rw-rw-rw-
File Type                       : AVI
MIME Type                       : video/avi
Frame Rate                      : 23.976
Max Data Rate                   : 4.857e+004 kB/s
Frame Count                     : 57
Stream Count                    : 1
Stream Type                     : Video
Video Codec                     : I420
Video Frame Rate                : 23.98
Video Frame Count               : 57
Quality                         : Default
Sample Size                     : Variable
Image Width                     : 1568
Image Height                    : 882
Planes                          : 1
Bit Depth                       : 12
Compression                     : I420
Image Length                    : 2074464
Pixels Per Meter X              : 0
Pixels Per Meter Y              : 0
Num Colors                      : Use BitDepth
Num Important Colors            : All
Software                        : Lavf57.82.101
Duration                        : 2.38 s
Image Size                      : 1568x882

ffprobe don't seem show the bit depth:

Metadata:
    encoder         : Lavf57.82.101
  Duration: 00:00:02.38, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 398007 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Video: rawvideo (I420 / 0x30323449), yuv420p, 1568x882, 405004 kb/s, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 23.98 tbn, 23.98 tbc

70MM13

14 bits lossless cdng is just PERFECT for resolve.

The filesize is respectable, with perfect quality and real-time playback, even at 3K.

Keep adding power to this app and eventually there won't be a need to use anything else except a NLE!

With each new version, I find myself able to use more clips straight from mlvapp!

Unfortunately, the complexity of grading difficult shots is still way out of range, but nothing is impossible if you work toward it!

This is a great program!

Seruji

Filmmakers
¿Any tip for someone who has a 5D MK2 (mlv 2.0) and wants to shoot a shortfilm in raw and then post-edit in Adobe Premiere? In terms of LUT's order..if it's more important to apply a LUT in MLVAPP or export (proRes 4444) and apply the LUT in Premiere?

¿Which LUT for general color-grading do you guys apply? MLVAPP or in a video editing software (such as Resolve, Final Cut, Premiere..). I have dozens of LUT's, but don't know when to apply them, or if there are some very common on this community.

masc

@50mm1200s: this is what mediainfo tells:
General
Complete name                            : /Users/masc/Desktop/M05-0608.avi
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
File size                                : 2.79 MiB
Duration                                 : 43 ms
Overall bit rate                         : 544 Mb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf57.71.100

Video
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : YUV
Codec ID                                 : I420
Codec ID/Info                            : 8 bit Y plane followed by 8 bit 2x2 subsampled U and V planes.
Duration                                 : 40 ms
Bit rate                                 : 581 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 856 pixels
Height                                   : 1 044 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Compression mode                         : Lossless
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 12.000
Stream size                              : 2.77 MiB (99%)

Quote from: 70MM13 on July 02, 2018, 02:36:07 PM
Keep adding power to this app and eventually there won't be a need to use anything else except a NLE!
With each new version, I find myself able to use more clips straight from mlvapp!
Thanks. That is our goal and what I do as well.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202