MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

@feureau: thanks for reporting, but I need more information about your system, all versions and what you do else. What resolution has the darkframe, what resolution have your clips (are these resolutions always the same?)
I can't reproduce the error you reported.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Rogan Thoerson

Masc sorry for the delay... I have been traveling quite much lately.
Once again thank you for the very good work.
There is maybe another thing that would be great for the app : a button for loading the video in the RAM of the computer for preview without cuts. It seems to be loaded after an export but would be nice to do it before ;)
Here is the file where i have trouble with the colors. I am using a 7D.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjo49weptoogjon/M30-2323.MLV?dl=0

Thank you.
7D Mark 1

masc

@Rogan Thoerson: thanks for sharing. I can reproduce it in v0.16, but in latest revision from our repository it works fine. So the issue seems to be fixed already. We changed a lot in terms of black and white level - there was a very tiny bug in MLVApp, but also ML for 7D is not correct here. But with latest revision you can correct the wrong levels of 7D clips (whitelevel is stored as 16200 @ ISO100 but is somewhere around 14300 on the 7D I tested and somewhere at 15500 on yours). With correct whitelevel highlight reconstruction for 7D clips also works fine.

So if you are on Mac, Danne wrote a compiler app and you could build the latest revision, or you would have to wait some days until we release v0.17.

Edit: The blacklevel is also wrong: it is 2414 in this file (uncorrected) and with 2048 all is fine. Maybe here was the problem, because the RAW-Correction part was working with the wrong uncorrected blacklevel until last week. That is fixed since some days. ;)

Is it correct you filmed the clip with a 1/0sec shutter?! For me that seems wrong too.

A button for loading video to RAM is not there, but a submenu: "AMaZE Cached" can load the debayered clip into the RAM until a memory limit is reached, only processing is done when being played.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Enrico

Firstly I'd like to thanks the developer of this great programme, anyway I have some issues when I export raw videos in uncompressed avi becouse in premiere it doesn't play them, instead everything works with the default windows 10 video player. Any possible solusion or even suggestion in the workflow?

50mm1200s

Quote from: Enrico on June 29, 2018, 09:21:23 PM
Firstly I'd like to thanks the developer of this great programme, anyway I have some issues when I export raw videos in uncompressed avi becouse in premiere it doesn't play them, instead everything works with the default windows 10 video player. Any possible solusion or even suggestion in the workflow?

AVI uncompressed doesn't seem to be supported by Premiere Pro. You'll have to convert it to something like Cineform or Lagarith, if you want lossless, or you could export directly to ProRes 444, inside MLVApp...

Kanakori

Quote from: masc on June 28, 2018, 07:04:17 PM
I can't tell you if it comes from the clip - I don't have it ;) And I never saw such artifacts on highlights in any clip. MLVProducer has a different highlight reconstruction, maybe this one is more effective against such extremly crushed highlights. I can't tell how it works, because I never saw the source code, but I know from my tests it works different ;)
Please upload some frames (cut it and export as MLV), so I could have a look what happens...

@Danne! NICE! 5x??? :P

Ok I can send you a clip as an example through private messaging

Enrico

But converting in Cineform or Lagarith as you suggested requires an extra passage, am I right? Anyway do you think ProRess 4444 is a good codec in terms of quality?

masc

Quote from: Kanakori on June 30, 2018, 01:26:39 AM
Ok I can send you a clip as an example through private messaging
Thanks, I'll download and take a look!

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: Enrico on June 30, 2018, 12:03:39 PM
But converting in Cineform or Lagarith as you suggested requires an extra passage, am I right? Anyway do you think ProRess 4444 is a good codec in terms of quality?
Cineform and Lagarith is not supported by MLVApp, so you need an extra passage, right. I like the quality of ProRes 4444, but it always depends on your workflow and what you want to get if it is enough.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

@Kanakori: download is finished for me and I watched into the MLV. For me it looks like both channels - the dark and the bright one are overexposed in the defect areas. Look here, first picture is dualIso=Off + HighlightReconstruction=On + Exposure=-3, second picture dualIso=On (highlightReconstruction don't cares, because there are no more highlights to detect after wrong dualIso rendering):

@Bouncyball: do you have an idea what happens in complicated dualIso rendering here? For me it looks like something in the 16bit to 20bit to 16bit is going wrong... but can't figure out where. Like very bright areas are cutted and become black (or other nice modern color).

Edit: hmmm... preview mode is working...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

@Bouncyball: I think I found it... it works nice now! I changed scale_bits_for_diso in dualiso.c. The problem is 12bit lossless seems to bring to high values and the sh** happens. I inserted two lines for limiting the shifted values and voilĂ ... but maybe you have a better idea to correct it ;)

int scale_bits_for_diso(struct raw_info * raw_info, uint16_t * image_data, int lossless_bpp)
{
    else if(lossless_bpp < 14)
    {
        for(int i = 0; i < pixel_count; ++i)
        {
            uint32_t temp = (((uint32_t)image_data[i] - raw_info->black_level) << shift_bits) + raw_info->black_level;
            if( temp > 16383 ) temp = 16383;
            image_data[i] = temp;
        }

return 1; // scaled for losless dualiso
    }
}

You shift by 2, that multiplies by 4. Whitelevel is 5586. 5586*4=22344 ... that is more than 14bits, so all over 16383 is cut.

@Kanakori: you can compile? Change these few lines and you can render your clips for now... ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kanakori

You guys are a godsend but I can't compile. I don't have that type of knowledge, I'm a simple user.  :-X

Kanakori

Thanks but what do I open it with?

I'm in windows btw.

masc

You're on Windows? Meh... hm, then we have to wait for Bouncyball, I only could compile a 32bit version for you, but don't know exactly what was changed for this force dual iso... my success here was not at 100%. I thought you know what Bouncyball changed there.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on June 30, 2018, 10:14:07 PM
You shift by 2, that multiplies by 4. Whitelevel is 5586. 5586*4=22344 ... that is more than 14bits, so all over 16383 is cut.
S..t! Right! Have to revise that scaling.

Edit: it is calculated correctly.

bouncyball

@masc

No it was correct because I'm doing:

(5586-2047) * 4 + 2047 = 16203 
e.g.
(5586-2047) << 2 + 2047 = 16203

I guess some raw values in this particular case may be greater than white (5586) level and that is the cause of this issue. Should be debugged. I need the source MLV.

bouncyball

Anyway if your check is working this should work as well.

Could you check this commit out?

masc

Hehe, you're better at maths! :D (and know what you did). Yes, commit works as well!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

masc

In this particular clip the highest value is 5632, whitelevel is 5586.
(5632-2047) << 2 + 2047 = 16384 ... so exactly 1 to high to work?!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Hehe, I was right then. We could just make -1 in the formula ;) (just kidding)

Enrico

Quote from: 50mm1200s on June 30, 2018, 01:02:25 AM
AVI uncompressed doesn't seem to be supported by Premiere Pro. You'll have to convert it to something like Cineform or Lagarith, if you want lossless, or you could export directly to ProRes 444, inside MLVApp...
But actually After Effects exports AVI uncompressed when it imports sequences of DNG or TIFF. Maybe the issues regard the codec, I'm not very knowledged in these things.

50mm1200s

Quote from: Enrico on July 01, 2018, 01:29:56 PM
But actually After Effects exports AVI uncompressed when it imports sequences of DNG or TIFF. Maybe the issues regard the codec, I'm not very knowledged in these things.

Well, just because AE exports, it doesn't mean it will open on PP. There's no codec on uncompressed AVI, it's just a container (.avi) with raw data. You should just use ProRes 444 or convert it as we said already.

Enrico

Quote from: 50mm1200s on July 01, 2018, 03:24:21 PM
Well, just because AE exports, it doesn't mean it will open on PP. There's no codec on uncompressed AVI, it's just a container (.avi) with raw data. You should just use ProRes 444 or convert it as we said already.
Ok but Premiere actually opens uncompressed AVI from After Effects, so if there is no codec what's the problem?