MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Rawvideo will not work with filters. Tried keeping the prores codec with matroska but that seemed like it only did some passthrough to the last pass. Prores don't do piping so I guess outputting the actual file three times is an option. Tested this and still looked better with matroska so until something better comes along let's stick to what we have now :).

Danne

Temperature picker! Works great :)

Question. Could the picker stay in picking mode until picking the button again? Now one do one pick, has to go back to the picker button, push it test another white balance area, go back to the button etc. If it stays on we can pick until satisfied.

masc

Yes, that should be possible. Right now you can also press B, that may be faster than searching the button again. From the function side this is only one single line and it does what you want. But Qt has some predefined function in the graphicsview to show these hand cursors... and after each click the pipette is away... :P Where do they do that?! I have to find the place... :D

Edit: found it and commited. Done.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

aaah, yes, working. Setting white balance this fast is key for fast and more correct further processing. Very nice indeed. Thanks.

70MM13

It's great to see this application's capabilities growing.
It is taking up more space in my workflow all the time!

Keep up the great work!

50mm1200s

Quote from: Danne on June 24, 2018, 12:46:33 PM
Temperature picker! Works great :)

Question. Could the picker stay in picking mode until picking the button again? Now one do one pick, has to go back to the picker button, push it test another white balance area, go back to the button etc. If it stays on we can pick until satisfied.

Nice! This will be really useful for me. Thanks.

a1ex

Shameless plug: you might also find this idea useful (WB picker on skin). Back then I've used a hardcoded ratio between R, G and B, from a reference photo with skin tones that looked good to me. Purists will scream, as it's too much of a hack, but I've found it handy.

masc

Quote from: a1ex on June 25, 2018, 02:18:11 PM
Shameless plug: you might also find this idea useful (WB picker on skin). Back then I've used a hardcoded ratio between R, G and B, from a reference photo with skin tones that looked good to me. Purists will scream, as it's too much of a hack, but I've found it handy.
WTF?!?!?! :D I added your values in a quick test and it seems to work out of the box. Crazy... cool! I'll think about how adding this to the app! Thx! Hahaha... ;D

Edit: hope you like it? With the new button you can toggle between grey and skin.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Nothing wrong with the creative force going on here. Not the best images but I could pick the guy for white balance. Very good addition:

Skin

Grey

Kanakori

Hey Guys I'm having a really annoying issue with MLVAapp. Some dual iso clips don't export without the horizontal stripes. Some do, some don't. I select the Dual Iso amaze option as usual and it doesn't seem to change anything.
Has anyone had this issue before and is there a work-around?

masc

@Kanakori: please upload one of the clips where it does not work, so we could analyze what happens. Thx. Does the viewer show it correctly? What OS are you using?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kanakori

Quote from: masc on June 25, 2018, 10:08:01 PM
@Kanakori: please upload one of the clips where it does not work, so we could analyze what happens. Thx. Does the viewer show it correctly? What OS are you using?

I'm using windows 10. The viewer doesn't show it correctly on these clips. With or without the dual iso option selected. I don't know what I made different, there are clips from the same shoot that work fine.
You can check one of them here. It was the shortest I could upload (my internet is slow as shit):

https://we.tl/SDQ4FvkguR

@masc

50mm1200s

In case you guys want to test in a real gray card, here's two samples. These are precisely 17.8% reflectance material (according to the company):
https://we.tl/t45SiodapN
https://we.tl/7WNCIdIJnp

I think the idea of getting WB from skin tones is good if you don't have a gray card, but the 'correct' will always be to get a neutral balance so the colorist can work through it...

bouncyball

Quote from: Kanakori on June 25, 2018, 09:34:10 PM
Some dual iso clips don't export without the horizontal stripes. Some do, some don't. I select the Dual Iso amaze option as usual and it doesn't seem to change anything.
It's because of the clip is not detected as dualiso by the current detecting code. It depends on the image itself. There is no better solution right now to detect this. However in the latest pull requests of g3gg0 he added full DISO block support for mlv_lite, when merged to main repo this will be accounted in MLV App.

Here are frames from your clip correctly processed.

regards
bb

bouncyball

Quote from: 50mm1200s on June 26, 2018, 01:31:43 AM
In case you guys want to test in a real gray card, here's two samples. These are precisely 17.8% reflectance material (according to the company):
This second clip (first can not be downloaded) has very unusual WB out of the box (maybe some complicated mixed lighting?). I even straggled to white balance it manually.

olofen

I am missing one file format...
Instead of the cumbersome but invaluable Tiff sequence with its 16 bits of colour I would like something like the Avi uncompressed (unfortunately still smaller than the original mlv file though...) but with 16 bits of colour and at least the same size as the mlv.
Is this possible to achieve?
Yours faithfully
olof thiel
sweden
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

masc

Quote from: olofen on June 26, 2018, 11:27:35 AM
I am missing one file format...
Instead of the cumbersome but invaluable Tiff sequence with its 16 bits of colour I would like something like the Avi uncompressed (unfortunately still smaller than the original mlv file though...) but with 16 bits of colour and at least the same size as the mlv.
Is this possible to achieve?
Uncompressed avi is not 16bit atm, right. I changed the format to 16bit for a quick test: VLC tells in metadata viewer it is 16bit, but it is impossible to decode. All other player also can't play it back...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

olofen

QuoteUncompressed avi is not 16bit atm, right. I changed the format to 16bit for a quick test: VLC tells in metadata viewer it is 16bit, but it is impossible to decode. All other player also can't play it back...

For me working as an artist with color and changing A LOT of the content it is almost mandatory to work in 16 bit. Do you have any suggestion how to achieve this with the MLV app? Or ideas?
I work mainly in photoshop.
/olof  :)
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

masc

Quote from: olofen on June 26, 2018, 12:18:15 PM
For me working as an artist with color and changing A LOT of the content it is almost mandatory to work in 16 bit. Do you have any suggestion how to achieve this with the MLV app? Or ideas?
I work mainly in photoshop.
/olof  :)
If you work in Photoshop, chose cDNG, this is unprocessed (or at least lossless) and has full raw info availlable.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Ottoga

@Bouncyball @kanakori

QuoteIt's because of the clip is not detected as dualiso

I have a 7D mk1 and can't do dual_ISO video but I have experienced the same effect with stills when I had Dual_ISO and ETTR enabled and,

"Link to Dual_ISO" was enabled in ETTR

Occasional ETTR would override my alternate ISO and make both ISOs the same. None of the processing programs available would see the images as Dual_ISO and I would be able to see the horizontal lines in the image.

Hope this sheds some light onto what may be happening.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

olofen

QuoteIf you work in Photoshop, chose cDNG, this is unprocessed (or at least lossless) and has full raw info availlable.
I tried in vain with both Cinema DNG uncompressed and lossless but got the following answer (see attachment)

EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

masc

Quote from: olofen on June 26, 2018, 01:11:18 PM
I tried in vain with both Cinema DNG uncompressed and lossless but got the following answer (see attachment)

Please upload a file which produces this error! We'll search for what is going on there...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

olofen

QuotePlease upload a file which produces this error! We'll search for what is going on there...
It is an 667 MB MLV file - do I send it with WeTransfer and in that case to what adress?
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

masc

Quote from: olofen on June 26, 2018, 04:23:47 PM
It is an 667 MB MLV file - do I send it with WeTransfer and in that case to what adress?
Yes, for example. You can post the link here, or you send it to me via PM.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kanakori

Quote from: bouncyball on June 26, 2018, 09:18:15 AM
It's because of the clip is not detected as dualiso by the current detecting code. It depends on the image itself. There is no better solution right now to detect this. However in the latest pull requests of g3gg0 he added full DISO block support for mlv_lite, when merged to main repo this will be accounted in MLV App.

Here are frames from your clip correctly processed.

regards
bb

Thanks for the reply but I didn't understand what I can do about it... Does someone have a suggestion? I need to export it in s-log3