MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on June 14, 2018, 12:18:12 AM
Yes this is because I shot the footage before your commit for 700D 10/12-bit lossless at ISO 100.

In this case, it's not MLV App's fault; you should have mentioned that detail in the initial report. The original MLV had incorrect white level, to begin with.

QuoteShould I run white level tests for other ISO values to avoid pink highlights for 700D ?

White level tests should be run for all models (only 100D was covered, to my knowledge). That commit was pretty much guesswork, based on your sample MLV from the linked thread; maybe I should have waited for the tests, rather than patching just that particular case. Other models may require the same workaround, possibly with different values.

theBilalFakhouri

Sorry for that for all of you ,, I thought the highlights reconstruction in MLV App was to solve pink highlights in any case (like white levels problems) .

I will got into the tests as soon as I get a new battery charger instead of the current burned one (High voltage attack  :'( )

masc

@theBilalFakhouri: no big deal, you gave me what I wanted - a file where highlight reconstruction does not work ;) And with some code change it could work - until now I have no good idea how to solve it generally...

@a1ex: thx for the info. So because the whitelevel is wrong, the "seach for the highest green value" has no success, have I understood that right?
But for my 7D clips I took a standard nightly build (2018Feb04)... do you have an idea why it does not work here? The metadata values are correct here? Shall I upload the file for analysis?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

@theBilalFakhouri highlight reconstruction is for fixing pink highlights, it just has the requirement of a correct white level.

@all sorry been inactive here, I hope to get back to doing some more processing improvements, as the app is getting a lot of love and I feel some responsibility for it. Though hard to find motivation with a broken 5D.

bouncyball

@masc: hehe see? If white level is a root of this issue when I rescale data, and also white level, for lossless dualiso processing scaled white is also wrong, so ... bang... pink "happy" world ;)

masc

Yes... that the whitelevel is incorrect for dual iso clips, I was very sure. But why is it wrong for standard 7D clips? Bug in ML? Or is it something else?

Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy95x9zhupesa4n/M13-1329_7Dpink.MLV?dl=0
Edit2: when reading through the forum... is the white level found for 7D already?! It seems it is not found yet.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Rogan Thoerson

I like a lot the app. it is generally much better than the others. I still miss some features :
-The ability to save preferences like the standard file export being (dng / pro res 444 / ...)
-the ability to save and load presets for color correction
-Sometimes the "Fix Bad pixel" fails and enable RAW correction would not be perfect. on top of that if there are wrong color than the colors would also be wrong in the DNG.
-A tab to report bugs

But very good work !!! I wonder when we will be able to do it on smartphones/tablets.

7D Mark 1

masc

Quote from: Rogan Thoerson on June 16, 2018, 07:28:38 PM
I like a lot the app. it is generally much better than the others. I still miss some features :
-The ability to save preferences like the standard file export being (dng / pro res 444 / ...)
For now only the last export setting used is saved.
-the ability to save and load presets for color correction
Is realized: edit->import/export receipt.
-Sometimes the "Fix Bad pixel" fails and enable RAW correction would not be perfect. on top of that if there are wrong color than the colors would also be wrong in the DNG.
Is it what your pictures show? That looks very strange! Could you please upload a short MLV where that happens? (You can set cut in/out and export as MLV, so the file can easily be shortend) BTW: which OS do you use?
-A tab to report bugs
Please use this thread or the issue tab on GitHub (is also linked in the apps about box).
But very good work !!! I wonder when we will be able to do it on smartphones/tablets.
Thank you very much, and also thanks for the report!
In principle it should be possible to compile the app itself for android - only the file export using ffmpeg / AVFoundation can't work. But note, the user interface is 100% for desktop and not at all for smartphones. So the usebility should be more than bad ;)
I never tried it and I think some settings have to be adapted for it. If there is someone who wants to try it: have fun ;) You'll just need to install Qt for Android, open the project and look what happens 8)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

a1ex

Quote from: masc on June 14, 2018, 06:17:43 PM
Yes... that the whitelevel is incorrect for dual iso clips, I was very sure. But why is it wrong for standard 7D clips? Bug in ML? Or is it something else?

Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy95x9zhupesa4n/M13-1329_7Dpink.MLV?dl=0
Edit2: when reading through the forum... is the white level found for 7D already?! It seems it is not found yet.

For this particular file, clipping points are different for each channel:
- red: about 14500
- green1: about 15000
- green2: about 14300
- blue: about 14800-15000

To remove the pink cast, try 14300.

The clipping is not harsh, as on most other models.

This behavior should be checked on multiple 7Ds, at all ISOs. White level found by raw_diag cannot be trusted in this case; each file has to be analyzed manually. Maybe 14000 is good enough for all ISOs, or maybe just for ISO 100, or maybe not.

Danne

@masc
A white level slider? Maybe even for black levels...

masc

@a1ex: thanks! I made a quick change in the MLVApp code to always set 14300 as whitelevel and it works for this clip. Do you have a ready to use toolor algorithm (peak with brightest color value?) for finding that?

@Danne: yes, this is what we are planning next... https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/issues/90
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

olofen

Hi,
THANKS for a wonderful app - exactly what was needed  :D

Here are just a few things from a user perspective I wonder If you could look into:
- using Commando Z on a Mac does not work when changing settings in the menus i.e. you change something and then wants to get back to the number prior to that (and also if possible to get back to default setting by double clicking on it as in Lightroom)
- not having to double click on each clip to mark it, see the length of it and work with it - a single click must suffice
- exporting many MLV files to AVI at the same time does not work
- is it possible to show sound as two separate stereo channels?

GREAT work anyway!
yours olof  ;)
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

Danne

masc

@olofen: thanks for the feedback!
Quote from: olofen on June 20, 2018, 09:53:44 AM
- using Commando Z on a Mac does not work when changing settings in the menus i.e. you change something and then wants to get back to the number prior to that (and also if possible to get back to default setting by double clicking on it as in Lightroom)
About "Undo" on command Z I thought a lot already, because I would love to have it myself. But this is very very difficult to introduce at the actual state of the app. Now we would have to rewrite half of the GUI just for this small feature (or someone else has a better idea).

Reset to default by doubleclick on sliders is realized and comes with v0.17!

- not having to double click on each clip to mark it, see the length of it and work with it - a single click must suffice
This won't be possible, because then it is no more possible to select "some" (not all) clips and export only these or apply receipts on them. I you like to switch faster between the clips, you can use J and K.

- exporting many MLV files to AVI at the same time does not work
Really? Thanks for reporting! I'll have a look!

Edit: what exactly happens for you? I tried it out and it works fine...

- is it possible to show sound as two separate stereo channels?
Not yet. Maybe a future feature to realize ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

olofen

QuoteThis won't be possible, because then it is no more possible to select "some" (not all) clips and export only these or apply receipts on them. I you like to switch faster between the clips, you can use J and K.

I got the hinge of it now - the J and the K made it and I also succeeded in exporting more than one file at a time to avi (by the way is the avi the best file to export to if you want the maximized information when importing to Photoshop?)

Edit: BUT when I export the clips to the same folder as the MLV files tha app crashes...

As for the info of the different clips like length I looked at the timewindow at the top and there was no change BUT by opening the info window I could see the difference between the clips (thanks to J and K  ;D)

All the best to your work with this incredible app. I must tell you I just stumbled across it after trying out the MLFS one and thanked my lucky star  :D
EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3
Mac OS High Sierra

masc

goood if it also works for you now! :)

Quote from: olofen on June 20, 2018, 10:15:35 PM
(by the way is the avi the best file to export to if you want the maximized information when importing to Photoshop?)
Photoshop is able to import avi? Hm... I think TIFF (16bit uncompressed single pictures) or DNG (if you like to use Adobe's RAW engine) could be good too.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Hej guys,
in the last time you haven't heard so much from us, but we are working on the next version of MLVApp.

We will have two new sliders to manually correct the RAW black and white level. That works fine at the moment for none dual iso clips. For dual iso clips this is still tricky and brings effects we don't understand yet. Here we'll need some time.

Finally there will be a very first version of white balance picker! It is not very fast and works just in 100K (temperature) and 10 (tint) steps for now, but the comfort is so much better than without.

There will be LUT support for 1D and 3D cube LUTs.

But there will be a small highlight, where Danne (thanks again) and me, we are working since yesterday evening: we got a kind of moiree / aliasing filter with the help of ffmpeg. The main difference to Danne's cleaning script is, that the export has less ghosting effects on moving objects in the clip.
Especially for clips of my 5D2 + EF16-35L at f/8 or more there is so much moiree and artifacts... (I know I shouldn't film with that setting, but sometimes I do and I go crazy with the artifacts in post :P ) and most of them will be away with our new filter (flickering trees, color artifacts in water and on the boats, ...):

(Before)

(After)

We will have a one pass mode, a three pass mode and a three pass + unsharp mask mode. The picture above shows the three pass + unsharp mask mode.

If someone likes to try it manually (for 25fps clips):
One pass:
ffmpeg -i input.mov -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 2 -pix_fmt yuv422p10 -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709 -vf minterpolate=50,tblend=all_mode=average,framestep=2 out1pass.mov

Three pass + unsharp mask:
ffmpeg -i input.mov -vf minterpolate=50,tblend=all_mode=average,framestep=2 -f matroska - | ffmpeg -i - -vf minterpolate=50,tblend=all_mode=average,framestep=2 -f matroska - | ffmpeg -i - -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 2 -pix_fmt yuv422p10 -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709 -vf minterpolate=50,tblend=all_mode=average,framestep=2,unsharp=7:7:0.8:7:7:0 out3pass_sharpen.mov

Explanation of one pass mode: "Let's say your source is 25 fps. minterpolate, tblend and framestep are filters. The first does the oversampling. The 2nd, the blended frames, and 3rd reduces the stream back to 25 fps."
Be aware: it is very CPU hungry and will need a lot of time. As intermediate format in 3 pass mode we still use matroska here, what might not be perfect... but for now Danne and me, we are very impressed by the filter.

If you are able to compile MLVApp, you also can check out latest revision from the repos and compile yourself. Then you just have to load a MLV, select a setting in export dialog and run the export.

If someone tests it: please report your findings! Thanks!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kharak

Amazing work, looking forward to it. Especially LUT support!

Is there any shortcut for fullacreen? If not, could you add it? Ctrl+F or TAB like in MLRawViewer?
once you go raw you never go back

masc

Fullscreen is realized in principle. But so far it will never be in release version. The problem is: Qt is really buggy in terms of fullscreen. You can set fullscreen and then the problems start (no keyboard entry, no possibility to get fullscreen 100% closed,...). If you like to try, search for a fullscreen comment in initGui() in MainWindow.cpp and comment in one single line, compile and then you can test fullscreen.

So better is to maximize the Window and press A S E , then it is "near to fullscreen" without problems.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

andy kh

Quote from: masc on June 23, 2018, 02:49:12 PM

sometimes I do and I go crazy with the artifacts in post :P ) and most of them will be away with our new filter (flickering trees, color artifacts in water and on the boats, ...):

wonderful work masc and team. i really need to get rid of color artifacts of tress
5D Mark III - 70D

Teamsleepkid

the aliasing moire filter..how long does it take to do a 30 second clip? or 10 seconds? would like to know. thank you:)
EOS M

feureau

I keep getting this error randomly when trying to export as CinemaDNG Lossless. Not sure what's triggering it. The same MLV files export perfectly with CinemaDNG uncompressed and ProRes.

Recorded on EOSM using latest crop 4k build from the experimental branch

masc

Quote from: Teamsleepkid on June 24, 2018, 01:30:59 AM
the aliasing moire filter..how long does it take to do a 30 second clip? or 10 seconds? would like to know. thank you:)
I think as always that depends on your CPU and resolution and... For me 1 sec of 5D2 1856x1044 needs some minutes on a MBP 2010 (Core2Duo), but this is not the Hardware to do Benchmarks ;)
Edit: 10sec -> 24min on this system with 3pass.
Edit2: 10sec -> 11min with 3pass on iMac 2011 i5 Quadcore

@feureau: what do you mean with randomly? It may happen for every clip, or does it happen only for some clips, ...? If it happens for a special clip, please upload, so we could ask the debugger for the exact reason.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Tried finding some other wrapper than matroska for piping but nothing works better when piping filters. So far it looks real nice. Gonna test some more soon.

masc

Quote from: Danne on June 24, 2018, 10:26:03 AM
Tried finding some other wrapper than matroska for piping but nothing works better when piping filters. So far it looks real nice. Gonna test some more soon.
Thx Danne. Same for my testing... I tried - hm, don't know how many wrapper formats - nothing was better than matroska.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202