MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Danne

New version:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/mlv_app_compiler/downloads/mlv_app_compiler.dmg

Added some more stuff to MLV_App_compiler.app, possibilty to check out other branches:

Cocoa app is now a hidden feature(recommended by Ilia3101). You still reach it if you write co and press enter in the main menu...

Seruji

I don't know if it's my problem, but the right side column (where you set up the RAW pic before you convert it), it's very squashed, I mean, you can not strecht it or move or modify the size, so it's almost imposible to work with it. I'm working in a 4K resolution (very common nowadays). I attach a screenshot of what I exactly see.
Thank you so much for this app and for the help!

escho

The German version of the Linux-Compile-Guide is now updated and extended (openSUSE and Kubuntu): https://sternenkarten.com/fotos/ml/
English translation will follow soon

I removed the compiling with qt-creator part. I´m, planning to moove this qt-creator-stuff to a seperate guide (debugging). But this will take some time.
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

masc

@escho: hehe, so easy, isn't it?! :)

Quote from: Seruji on May 30, 2018, 07:52:52 PM
I don't know if it's my problem, but the right side column (where you set up the RAW pic before you convert it), it's very squashed, I mean, you can not strecht it or move or modify the size, so it's almost imposible to work with it. I'm working in a 4K resolution (very common nowadays).
You changed the windows font (size). Windows is very strange here because it overrides also fixed application fonts, but the GUI geometry is untouched. The font sizes in the app are already fixed. So the only way to get it working is change Windows to its default and/or using another monitor. No such problems on 4K OSX.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Seruji

Yes, that worked, thank you (I had it to 150%). Still is visually small, so I have to change the resolution to 1080p to be able to work.
I'm pretty new on RAW (5D MKII) and I'm quite confused on the amount of apps that exist to convert MLV. ¿Which app do you recommend to start with? I'm not a big fan of running 2+ apps before you start editing (mlv converter+after effects and finally premiere, for example).

masc

Nice. Good to know.
I also work with a 5D MkII and use MLVApp+FCPX or MLVFS+Resolve+FCPX. That brings all I need... but other people might love other workflows and apps.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

escho

masc

Hello to our Linux-users! There is a compiled Linux 64bit MLVApp AppImage for download now:
https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/releases/download/QTv0.16alpha/MLV.App.v0.16.alpha.Linux.x86_64.AppImage

Please try out and report if it works (success on Ubuntu 14.04 and 18.04).

Make it executable (with chmod a+x) and doubleclick.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

escho

@all
guide for compiling Mlv-App (english) in Linux: https://sternenkarten.com/tutorial-englisch/
This guide is updated now too.

@masc
I will try the app-image later

edit:
What about ffmpeg? Does the app-image contain ffmpeg?

bouncyball

Quote from: Seruji on May 31, 2018, 12:14:05 PM
Yes, that worked, thank you (I had it to 150%). Still is visually small, so I have to change the resolution to 1080p to be able to work.
If you are on Windows 10 there is no need to change font size or resolution.

Right click on MLVApp.exe, choose Properties/Compatibility

Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and select "System (Enhanced)" in "Scaling performed by:"

Run your app and use it happily :)

Regards
bb

masc

@bouncyball: nice, didn't know this one... :)

Quote from: escho on May 31, 2018, 05:41:09 PM
What about ffmpeg? Does the app-image contain ffmpeg?
No, not yet. The tar command you provided does not work for me. It brings "FFmpeg/ffmpeg not found" or something like that. I only could include it manually to the appimage. But if I untar it is >100MB, is that right?! Or do I need only one single file from the archiv (ffmpeg, or ffmpeg_10bit)?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

escho

jpegmasterjesse

Quote from: escho on May 31, 2018, 05:41:09 PM
@all
guide for compiling Mlv-App (english) in Linux: https://sternenkarten.com/tutorial-englisch/
This guide is updated now too.

I was still having problems with qmake, unfortunately.  Wanted to let you know that I think "gitclone" should be "git clone" in your translated instructions.

Quote from: masc on May 31, 2018, 03:01:28 PM

Please try out and report if it works (success on Ubuntu 14.04 and 18.04).

Just tried it on Kubuntu 16.04 and it was very easy to get going.  Already processed a dual-iso video on my chromebook, very pleased. This puts chromebooks on the map for me in a real way!

Kanakori

Hey guys. I recently started working with James Miller's C-LOG profiles. Don't now if you guys are familiar with it but my question is what export profile should I pick in MLVapp? I got Cineon, Alexa's and the s-log. Anyone's been through this and reached a conclusion of what's best?

escho

Quote from: jpegmasterjesse on May 31, 2018, 08:14:53 PM
I was still having problems with qmake, unfortunately.  Wanted to let you know that I think "gitclone" should be "git clone" in your translated instructions.

You are right. Looks like I did a copy and past error. Fixed. ThankYou very much.

For your qmake-problems. Just for my Info. Which QT-Version do you use?

qmake --version

50mm1200s

Quote from: Kanakori on May 31, 2018, 08:55:39 PM
Hey guys. I recently started working with James Miller's C-LOG profiles. Don't now if you guys are familiar with it but my question is what export profile should I pick in MLVapp? I got Cineon, Alexa's and the s-log. Anyone's been through this and reached a conclusion of what's best?

Below "Highlight reconstruction" box you'll have different spaces you can work with. MLVapp don't seem to support C-Log, but from what I checked, these LUT's you're using are based on SLOG3. This one is supported on MLVapp, so you just pick this one, adjust exposure/WB and export (preferably using ProRes XQ 4444 or DNxHR 444).

Kanakori

Ok thank you! It's S-log3 though, does it matter? I've been exporting with the alexa profile.

50mm1200s

Quote from: Kanakori on May 31, 2018, 11:22:16 PM
Ok thank you! It's S-log3 though, does it matter? I've been exporting with the alexa profile.

Yes, you have to output to S-Log3, not Alexa Log-C. These LUT's you're using are constructed based on S-LOG standard, if you output Log-C and put a LUT based on S-Log3 it'll end up with wrong colors and contrast, and might generate all sorts of issues, such as bandings and chroma artifacts. Even if you're working with the correct profile, these LUT's can generate wrong colors. That's the case of ImpulZ LUT's. I really like to output Log-C on MLVapp and then apply the Vision3 emulation from ImpulZ, but it always generate magenta midtones, for some reason.
If you want color precision, as I have said in many other posts, working with ACEScct on CinemaDNG files is probably the best non-destructive workflow today (although the color matrix on some processors like Resolve don't seem to be precise, as @Andy600 pointed in other posts too)...

domasa

I recorded videos in crop mode 1920 1:1 (5D mark III), exported to *.dng and deleted sources.
But result files contains vertical stripes:

How can I fix it additionally? MLVApp can not open generated dng-files.

Kanakori

Quote from: 50mm1200s on May 31, 2018, 11:55:43 PM
Yes, you have to output to S-Log3, not Alexa Log-C. These LUT's you're using are constructed based on S-LOG standard, if you output Log-C and put a LUT based on S-Log3 it'll end up with wrong colors and contrast, and might generate all sorts of issues, such as bandings and chroma artifacts. Even if you're working with the correct profile, these LUT's can generate wrong colors. That's the case of ImpulZ LUT's. I really like to output Log-C on MLVapp and then apply the Vision3 emulation from ImpulZ, but it always generate magenta midtones, for some reason.
If you want color precision, as I have said in many other posts, working with ACEScct on CinemaDNG files is probably the best non-destructive workflow today (although the color matrix on some processors like Resolve don't seem to be precise, as @Andy600 pointed in other posts too)...

Unfortunately I don't have data space and processing power for a CDNG workflow. I export to prores 444 and need to use proxys to edit with no breaks on premiere. I will take your advice and check S-LOG3 on the MLVAPP before exporting. I was confused because I thought James Miller's profiles were based on C-LOG and I saw everyone saying how the 5dIII was similar to the alexa so I associated the two. Thanks for taking your time. I'm still a noob in regards to codecs and color theory.

bouncyball

@domasa
Sorry there are no plans to support DNG import in MLV App. If you on Win try mlvproducer.

@jpegmasterjesse
Is it acceptable (time wise) to work on chromebook with DUALISO??? :D
I'm glad you can run it w/o problem, thanks to @masc for taking time and adding AppImage linux version

jpegmasterjesse

@Masc - For a 5 frame, 12bit dual-iso clip it took 23 seconds from clicking "save" to convert to H.264. Not amazing but could be a lot worse. I'm running an Acer R11, Intel Celeron CPU N3160 @ 1.60GHz, 4GB Ram.

For standard conversions I'm getting about 2 frames a second.

My guess is a Pixelbook or any of the as-of-yet overpowered chromebook offerings would perform pretty damn well.

I've been playing around with Linux more in anticipation of native Linux container support in ChromeOS (codename Crostini), possible only on the Pixelbook but getting pushed out to most recent models probably within the year.