MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncyball

@IDA_ML

1) Yes @masc already answered that. There are several popular debayer methods and on this scale Bilinear sits on the low end (not the last one thought) and Amaze sits on the upper end (not the 1st one as well, because it depends on raw source, can be achieved some better results with other methods in some cases). Overall Amaze is good almost for everything and it is quite universal. We are using very good and popular multi threaded open source lib a bit modified by @Ilia3101 and now it works great for canon raw.

I can't say anything about prores modes of ffmpeg. Just refer to the ffmpeg help/manual.

2) We are using ffmpeg H264 and H265 which are based on x264 and x265 sources. The constant quality level 24 (which is the default for MLV App) is the best you can achieve with it for reasonable file size and believe me x264/265 is the best codec ever written, better than almost every commercial encoders. I've read some while ago that there lots of commercial BluRay releases were encoded with it and not with other commercial encoders.

3) Yes we got rid of external 16bit PNG lib dependency and use Qt 8 bit PNG writer for quick export. 16bit TIFF export realized via ffmpeg and is great.

4) I don't think this will be implemented ever. Because there are small and convenient open source tools which do this for you. Example: under windows there is VirtuaDub-filtermod which even supports cineform codec natively.

regards
bb

Danne

Kostya prores4444 is better when I compare to Antoliy which is 422 but faster. I see a difference in shadows. This might not be an issue in Mlv App. I pipe through dcraw in Switch.
H.264 is as good looking as prores4444 to me. Only this format should be considered end product. H264 will not hold up in post as good.

IDA_ML

Thanks for this additional informationn Bouncyball and Danne,

The reason I am asking these questions is quite serious for me.  All my disk space (internal and external) is full of MLV files, most of which were shot in full uncompressed 14-bit MLV format before lossless was released about a year ago.  So, I desperately need to free up some disk space to store my RAW footage.  What I plan to do is use MLVApp to convert my MLV files into Kostya  ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ after applying some basic corrections to them (Exposure, Temperature, Shadows/Highlights Dark/Light Strengths and Chroma Separation).  After that, I plan to store the converted files for further usage, mainly with DaVinci Resolve and delete the MLV originals which will free up 60 to 75% of disk space.  Initially, I wanted to archive in ProRes4444 but this will free up just 20-25% of disk space which is not enough.  If you guys share some more thoughts on that archiving issue, I should greatly appreciate that.

Danne

Well you can save a lot of space by compressing the mlv files as well. Or you can also compress the cdng output and also save a lot of space that way.

Kharak

@IDA_ML

Just make sure that you are outputting in a Log Space. Like the Alexa Log-C. that way you simultaneously retain the most information from the MLV.
once you go raw you never go back

masc

Exporting as compressed MLV you can save around 35-40% without any loss of quality.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Quote from: Kharak on March 23, 2018, 12:42:00 PM
Just make sure that you are outputting in a Log Space. Like the Alexa Log-C. that way you simultaneously retain the most information from the MLV.

Well, except for saving the files, I would like to take advantage of the adjustment features of MLVApp to apply some basic adjustments to the files and make them easier to work with later.  I am kind of reluctant to just apply a flat profile like Alexa Log-C and then save the file.  I want it to have at least some contrast and color.  So my question to you is:

Should I first apply the Alexa Log-C profile, then do my adjustments, listed in my previous post and finally save the file in ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ format or you suggest that I leave the adjustments out and just save in Log?  In other words, how would you process and save a MLV file in MLVApp in such manner that:

1) You save the maximum amount of disk space and
2) Simultaneously retain most information?

Thanks.

Danne

Looks like you could benefit from canon wideDR. Not quite log but easier to work with.

IDA_ML

Quote from: Danne on March 23, 2018, 03:04:23 PM
Looks like you could benefit from canon wideDR. Not quite log but easier to work with.

Sorry Danne,

I don't understand what you mean.

Danne

An alternative to log signal which sometimes is hard to work with in post there are friendlier output which you could make yourself in Mlv App by tweaking the settings. Canon WideDR is only an example.
There are math and a lot of philosophies which will take you where you want. Guess it all comes down to what you film and how you work and future plans.
There is also the parameter with color science which I don't fully grasp and where Mlv App is right now.
Many questions out there  :P

Kharak

If i had to output to a compressed codec, then it would be straight to Log. And to not mess up the log file i would not mess with it other than setting correct wb and raise exposure to increase the files signal strenght (as needed).

Log-c is a really nice log, its easy to work with and is designed for higher DR than our cameras can capture.
once you go raw you never go back

ilia3101

Quote from: Danne on March 23, 2018, 04:12:58 PM
There is also the parameter with color science which I don't fully grasp and where Mlv App is right now.

Colour science: MLV App is getting better in this soon. Current version has no camera calibration (those matrices not used), but in a version maybe two that will be implemented (as well as "correct" whitebalance stuff that g3gg0 was explaining ages ago) - You can have a preview of this stuff if you look at "WhiteBalance" branch on GitHub. Colour matches Davinci/Adobe quite well with new colour processing methods.

Output colour space: it's sRGB/rec709 I think. I hope we figure out how to encode in wider space with FFmpeg (already can with AVFoudnation), as output in other colour spaces will soon be supported in processing(watch that "WhiteBalance" branch).

Danne

Petter Sand

Hi! Thank you for making this software. I think it is super. I tried to process a dual iso MLV-file(HDR video). Is there any specifications that i have to follow when processing an dualiso HDR video file? I had a 1280 50p file from the latest nightlybuild on my 5dmk3. When processing  from mlv to prores the video is still flashing like these unprocessed HDR-videos do. I checked the box "on"  at the dualiso section. Please enlighten me. Best regards Petter

bouncyball

Magic lantern HDR video and dual iso are two very different things. HDR MLVs are not supported by MLV App for now. For HDR processing better use 'Switch' from @Danne. Ask him and he will help you for sure :D

Danne

@petter sand
In Switch main menu select (p) for prores output. Then select (01) or something else and also select HDR at the bottom then run Switch.

JADURCA

"MLVApp has stopped working"

That is when I select a MLV File for Darkframe Subtraction option.

Any help?

Thanks!

OlegK

masc

Quote from: JADURCA on March 27, 2018, 09:37:11 PM
"MLVApp has stopped working"

That is when I select a MLV File for Darkframe Subtraction option.

Any help?

Thanks!

Could you please upload such a file and provide some more information (OS, version, ...). Thx.

Quote from: OlegK on March 28, 2018, 12:49:35 AM

Can I add more filters? any LUTs?
Thanks!

You can add one of the implemented filters. There is no LUT support atm.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

OlegK

Quote from: masc on March 28, 2018, 08:35:44 AM
Could you please upload such a file and provide some more information (OS, version, ...). Thx.

HOW I CAN DO THAT?

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

JADURCA

Quote from: masc on March 28, 2018, 08:35:44 AM

Here are the files => https://we.tl/UtdYLcW4Fw

M22-1506 (footage) and M27-1523 (darkframe)

Windows 10 Home, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.309

Using MLV.App.v0.14.alpha.Win64.static.zip

Magic Lantern version: crop_rec_4k.2017Oct28.5D3113

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

@JADURCA: this bug is already fixed, but not yet released. For darkframes lossless is not supported - but this is no problem for you. I think you tried to load the full MLV as darkframe - this is the problem. First you need to load the darkframe clip to the session as normal clip (here lossless is supported). Then export it as averaged MLV (now it is not lossless). This file now can be loaded as darkframe to your clip. Always when using the darkframe feature it must be an MLV with ONE frame (best averaged with our average MLV export).

In v0.14 MLVApp was not that stable when loading something else than we expected. In the actual revision on github the app won't crash and will give some informative message boxes. You will get that with v0.15 ...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball