MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncyball

@escho: Great! :)

@masc: Now PNG frame export works flawlessly :)

Danne

Could need some help with compiling on mac. I get the following error codes:

After some tinkering I removed an older Mlv app project and now QT is asking for stuff. Maybe this could clear out a few issues?

masc

@Danne: If I see it right you are on Qt 4.8.7. Minimum Qt for MLVApp is 5.6. So the compiler won't find some things we are using. The most compatible version should be 5.9.4 atm (support for most OSes), best performance should have 5.6/5.7.
On the "Configuration Project" page chose "clang 64bit" Release (& Debug if you like to debug).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

I compiled with Qt 5.10.2 on my mac mini without problem, however @masc doesn't like this version ;)

masc

Hehe... I don't want to say I don't like 5.10. But 5.10 dropped support for some OS and has some stupid slider bugs. :)
But I recognized with my tests, that 5.7 is way faster then the newer versions. For me nearly factor 2 at playback on a MBP-Retina on OSX.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Something is conflicting. I downloaded qr creator 5.9.3 and that is what I'm opening up but still it seems I have som old version still in there as well.

masc

You downloaded only Creator, or the whole Qt? What does it output?

Here it looks like that:
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on March 20, 2018, 11:55:51 AM
But I recognized with my tests, that 5.7 is way faster then the newer versions. For me nearly factor 2 at playback on a MBP-Retina on OSX.
It is very interesting! I have to try this version under Linux. Is it performing better under windows too?

masc

@bouncyball: I don't know. Under Windows my 32bit 5.6 is slower than your 64bit 5.9.1 - but 32 vs. 64 bit ... that is no real comparison.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

There is nothing when checking "kits".

When checking "about" this is showing:

Qtcreator 4.4.1 based on 5.9.3??

Anyway. Here is what I downloaded and installed:
https://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/5.9/5.9.3/qt-opensource-mac-x64-5.9.3.dmg
Coming from here:
https://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/5.9/5.9.3/

It would really help if you would point to direct download links of which qt version most likely will work. In this particular case it´s even more problematic as since there are open source versions, commercial versions, the need for email adress etc. And the file itself is around 3.5gb  8)

Hopefully you can help me solve the issue :)

@bouncyball. Howdid you install QTcreator on your mac mini?

Ok, think I´m on to something:
Reinstalled and selected macOS this time:

Now I get this:

Will try to compile in a while....

Danne

Wohoo, compiling:

It´s smaller in size 38mb as opposed to 64mb from official version.

bouncyball

@Danne

Congrats!!! Welcome to our club :)

Official version includes ffmpeg in the archive and also .app has structure with needed files.

You can compile it as debug or release version. Debug is good if you will find the bug/crash and the Qt creator debugger will show you exact line in the code where bail out has happened. Otherwise the release version a bit faster than debug version.

Hehe since you are real BugBuster I hope you will reveal some nasty ones, if any :)

masc

Woohoo, it works! NICE! Yes, you need to install Qt for macOS, otherwise you have no libs...

Your version is now smaller, that is right. It will work for now only on this particular mac (or another mac where Qt is installed in exactly the same way). The app gets its libraries from the Qt installation directory.

With (at least on my system) /Applications/Qt5.9.0/5.9/clang_64/bin/macdeployqt <path to MLVApp>/MLVApp/platform/build-MLVApp-Desktop_Qt_5_9_0_clang_64bit-Release/MLV\ App.app/ (adapt that to your system) you can insert the Qt libs into the app. But do this only once! If you compile after that again, the links inside the app are broken - it would not work on another mac, also if you do macdeployqt.
So always manually delete app -> build -> macdeployqt (at least if you like to deliver the binary).

In principle any Qt version newer 5.6 should work on most systems... (if OS is new enough)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Quote from: masc on March 20, 2018, 03:06:00 PM
With (at least on my system) /Applications/Qt5.9.0/5.9/clang_64/bin/macdeployqt <path to MLVApp>/MLVApp/platform/build-MLVApp-Desktop_Qt_5_9_0_clang_64bit-Release/MLV\ App.app/ (adapt that to your system) you can insert the Qt libs into the app. But do this only once! If you compile after that again, the links inside the app are broken - it would not work on another mac, also if you do macdeployqt.
So always manually delete app -> build -> macdeployqt (at least if you like to deliver the binary).

I´m lost  :P. Could you add some more info about statically compile Mlv app?

I´m trying to follow this but can´t even find the src folder they are referring to:
https://doc.qt.io/archives/qq/qq09-mac-deployment.html#staticlinking

*update
Ok, so in terminal:
/Users/dan/Qt5.9.3/5.9.3/clang_64/bin/macdeployqt /Users/dan/MLV-App-master/platform/build-MLVApp-Desktop_Qt_5_9_3_clang_64bit-Debug/MLV\ App.app
Will beef my version to 62.4mb. That easy?

masc

I have no idea what you want to try... :D
Just type the command I wrote and all will be fine... ;) In the end you won't see a difference on OSX if it is static or dynamically linked - you'll get a .app and you can doubleclick it in order to start MLVApp.

As I wrote:
1. delete MLVApp.app in your build folder.
2. compile with Creator.
3. type this macdeployqt command in terminal
Ready. Your app should have 62.x MB now and work on many Macs... (depends on your OS, your XCode,... thats why I use an old Mavericks to have a big compatibility from 10.8-10.13)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Awesome!
Actually, I tested your suggestion and updated my answer just before you posted not knowing it was that easy :)

/Users/dan/Qt5.9.3/5.9.3/clang_64/bin/macdeployqt /Users/dan/MLV-App-master/platform/build-MLVApp-Desktop_Qt_5_9_3_clang_64bit-Debug/MLV\ App.app
All done! Size is 62.4MB

Thanks a lot for your help.

masc

Cool! If your debug version is slow... compile as release - should be way faster! ;) Debug is good for searching a crashing line in the project. You can toggle in Creator in the low left corner (computer icon).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Hell yeah. Added -j4 and went to release and twice as fast previewing. Feel free to have a look at my compiled baby  :P
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/MLV%20App.app.zip

masc

Looks good. But now it is getting compilcated... on which OS have you compiled? And with which XCode? Depending on this and some hidden settings in Qt you define the minimum OS on which the app will work. On 10.9 it does not work...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Bouncyball,

I have now shot two more large files with the 100D for you to try on an old CPU computer and see if you can reproduce the crash issue.  The files were shot in the Normal 1736x976 and the Movie Crop Mode at 1800x1012 and download links are as follows:

100D_Norm_1736x976.MLV
-------------------------------
https://we.tl/IpIRL4TTao

100D_3x_MvCM_1800x1012.MLV
------------------------------------
https://we.tl/xRka2hENRH

Please note, the crash happens every time at different moments of the timeline - sometimes at 23%, sometimes at 85%, sometimes not at all but this is rarely the case.  So, please render them more than once, maybe at different MLVApp settings until you end up with  a crash event.  I also tested both files on a more powerful machine of a colleague of mine at work and they both rendered fine, without crashes.  So, the crash issue seems to occur only on old CPU machines under Windows x64.

You said, you fixed the Actual Frame export issue.  Is there a new old-CPU build with that bug fixed and if yes, where should I download it from?

Thanks.

Danne

Quote from: masc on March 20, 2018, 05:58:06 PM
Looks good. But now it is getting compilcated... on which OS have you compiled? And with which XCode? Depending on this and some hidden settings in Qt you define the minimum OS on which the app will work. On 10.9 it does not work...

Compiled on mac OS Sierra and xcode 8.3

Tested just now also on Mac OS High Sierra and works buttersmooth on that workstation too. So backward compatibilty will be an issue. Couldn´t find the QT minimum OS setting anywhere.

masc

Exactly... it is only backward compatible. Please don't ask exactly how to get it to work in the other direction - I got it only one time to work:
First you must get an older MacOS-SDK from apple - each OS has it's SDK. I have 10.9 and 10.10 here:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKsMacOSX10.9.sdk

Somehow this must be registered in XCode - but here I forgot how to do.

Then you must activate the SDK in Qt:
/Applications/Qt5.7.0/5.7/clang_64/mkspecs/macx-clang/qmake.conf

In this file there is a line with QMAKE_MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET = 10.x
With this I got the compatibility in forward direction - at least up to 10.8... (SDK 10.9 seems to have 10.8 compatibility somehow)

Sry - I really forgot how I set this up some years before. Some month ago I tried another time and failed. Something is missing...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

I will take a dive some other day on this. Right now I am thinking about how to fire of a shell command from within Mlv app just to run darkframe storage scripts on my mac  :P. I´m sure bouncyball likes that idea  :P 8)

masc

A while ago we started ffmpeg from Qt as program command:

QProcess::execute( QString programCall );

But there are also other possibilities in Qt...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: Danne on March 20, 2018, 07:29:55 PM
I will take a dive some other day on this. Right now I am thinking about how to fire of a shell command from within Mlv app just to run darkframe storage scripts on my mac  :P. I´m sure bouncyball likes that idea  :P 8)
Yeah why not we need more developers! :D