MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpegmasterjesse

Quote from: bouncyball on March 16, 2018, 07:03:29 PM
It is possible and g3gg0 was doing this long time ago for experimenting/developing. However I can not imagine the use case of that backward conversion now :)

After a (forced) update to High Sierra I am short on workflows for raw.  I used to use MLraw viewer but the .mov export no longer works on High Sierra.  MLVApp can't import DNGs (as far as I know) and premiere doesn't like the sequence either.  Even Lightroom crashes kinda frequently  after importing these  DNGs (although it's also been crashing dealing with standard 20bit dual iso files.) I haven't tried after effects yet.

So yes, it is backwards, but I'm low on options.

I will upgrade the dark frame in a few hours! It may not have actually worked as I tried it - it automatically ran dark frame subtraction without me providing mine.

bouncyball

As Danne have stated it's because of cr2hdr (MLV App uses code derived from cr2hdr/mlvfs) needs real 14bit data on input to work properly. This is not the first time we have issues with 12bit dual iso MLVs. I'll take a look when have time and see what I can do about it. Guess it won't be hard to fix.

bouncyball

@jpegmasterjesse

I guess you already have switch so grab mlv_dump from it and with this command convert bit depth:

./mlv_dump -b 14 -o output_14bit.mlv your_12bit.mlv

Then try to open it in MLV App, process as dualiso and report back please.

Danne

Cool, didn't know you could convert the mlv file itself to other bits.

jpegmasterjesse

Quote from: bouncyball on March 17, 2018, 07:01:48 AM
@jpegmasterjesse

I guess you already have switch so grab mlv_dump from it and with this command convert bit depth:

./mlv_dump -b 14 -o output_14bit.mlv your_12bit.mlv

Then try to open it in MLV App, process as dualiso and report back please.

I wish I had the necessary knowledge! I'm a bit out of my depth.  Here's the 12 bit dual-iso file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W9IG53Nn-AG1EWKV-trCVyfpPNt5VtTA

bouncyball

@jpegmasterjesse

Here is your MLV converted to 14bit
Here is the 14bit Dark frame ready to use

Import this 14bit MLV to MLV App and also load 14bit Dark frame into the Raw Correction. Now full blown 20bit dualiso processing is working as expected :)

@Danne: Thank you for quickly finding the cause of this issue :D

Lars Steenhoff

Is it possible to make a cocoa version with thumbnails and dng export?

masc

If you like thumbnails you need a kind of extra program which is automatically driven by the OS, which opens all MLV in a folder and makes thumbnail pics (as I understood). If you are using cocoa or something else doesn't matter.
DNG export works already with MLVApp (which also uses cocoa on macOS).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Ilia is a father of coca app, let's wait what he says.

BTW I've always been curious why GUI matters so much if functionality is what you need :) (I'm the guy who never pay attention to theming/skins/looks of applications but its functionality).

Example: Simple default GUI of the foobar2000 player is the best for me.

ilia3101

One thing where I believe the Qt app is worse than cocoa app is the control sliders, you can't just click anywhere on the slider and start moving it, you have to click the knob, which feels a lot clunkier to me. Could you make the slider draggable from any position @masc?
Maybe those who like cocoa app would be happier if the Qt version had a simpler theme, but that isn't really a big deal for me.

As for Cocoa app coming back, probably not. It's currently in a bad mess and doesn't work fully (the last release is about as good as it is going to get). It's just too much work for what it does - it was written without XCode, no interface builder which I think Apple never intends anyone to do. Also written by me with no clue about how Objective C works (the real issue).

Lars Steenhoff

Ah you made it without xcode, wow yea I can understand.   

For me the reason why I like the cocoa version, it feels more native to Mac, and it also is easier to compile.

But I managed to compile the qt version, so thats allright now.

bouncyball

Quote from: Ilia3101 on March 19, 2018, 08:53:52 AM
One thing where I believe the Qt app is worse than cocoa app is the control sliders, you can't just click anywhere on the slider and start moving it...
Haha, right. I never noticed this before :)

Danne

@jpegmasterjesse
Added -b(bit) function in a mlv_dump_on_steroids in Switch so it´s now possible to convert the MLV file itself for use in Mlv app for instance:

Select (12)

Select b for bits information

Noticed that converting to different bits doesn´t work with lossless MLV files but works otherwise.

bouncyball

@jpegmasterjesse, @Danne

I added 10/12bit Uncompressed dualiso support to MLV App (which is exactly your case). Link.

Lossless 8-11/12bit dualiso is not supported because it is very different and needs deeply digging into a1ex's cr2hdr code.

Anyway using dualiso means wide DR is needed, data bits less then 14 already restricts DR and this makes no sense b/c, during 14bit lossless raw recording, writing speed is good enough.

regards
bb

Bernie54

MLV App v0.14 (latest version from bouncyball, btw, this now works well on a Core Duo PC - Thanks!) crashes at PNG Frame Export:

When trying to export single frames from a MLV taken with a EOS M (1728x692px) as a PNG file, Windows reports a crash an ends the app but a PNG was created with a black area - see example posted. This happens when the aspect ratio is set to "Height Stretch 1.67x" (works well with "Height Stretch 1.0x"). The bug appears on all the following configurations tested:
- MLV.App.v0.14.alpha.Win32 on a 32bit-Windows
- MLV.App.v0.14.alpha.Win32 on a 64bit-Windows
- MLV.App.v0.14.alpha.Win64.static on a 64bit-Windows

regards

Danne

Nice.
I also noticed you can decompress and change bits in one take with mlv_dump and lossless will then become clean 10/12/14 bit or whatever you specify. For example apply this to a lossless file:
mlv_dump -d -b 10 -o OUT.MOV IN.MLV
Pretty nice.
As you point out dualiso is another parameter that will or will not work here...

bouncyball

@Danne

Yes sure you can do both at the same time. But I think it is perfectly valid for real full range 14bit raw data only.

Losslessly compressed raw from the camera _always_ 14bits, even when you recording it as 8-11/12bit lossless with restricted values.

Converting 8-11bit lossless to, say 10bits, will result with very low converted to 10bit white level. For example as low as 350. Did you tried this and it worked as expected?

Danne

I tried converting to 8bit back to 14bit. Sucked big time  :P

IDA_ML

Another BUG in v. 014_old_CPU:
=====================

When I try to export Actual Frame, it exports it just fine as a .PNG file, even a thumbnail preview is shown in Explorer.  But when I try to open that PNG with Photoshop CS6, it (Photoshop) crashes.  It opens with FastStone Image Viewer and IrfanView fine but there is no EXIF data in that file.  I was wondering if the Actual Frame could be exported as a TIF-File containing all adjustments made in MLVApp, in the same resolution as in the video and if EXIF data could be added.

Also, MLVApp still crashes during rendering MLV files from the 100D that are about 1 GB in size.  I posted such a file a few days ago already but if you may need more files please let me know.  Could this stability bug be fixed?

AmaZe is AMAZING !!!

bouncyball

As @Bernie54 stated in the message above there is a real problem exporting actual PNG frame. It is corrupted when the aspect ratio is set automatically to "Height Stretch 1.67x".

PNG corrupted example:

Exported TIFF frame is healthy.

@masc: Houston we've got a problem :) maybe something with buffer passed to QT image writer.

bouncyball

@IDA_ML

Unfortunately I could not reproduce the crash on Linux with posted by you 100D MLV. Could you upload some more? I'll try it with older CPU under windows at home.

Edit: Fully processed frame(s) can be exported as 16bit TIFF through export settings dialog (ffmpeg exporter). For pixel peeping/quality checking it's the best.

masc

Quote from: Bernie54 on March 19, 2018, 04:24:10 PM
MLV App v0.14 (latest version from bouncyball, btw, this now works well on a Core Duo PC - Thanks!) crashes at PNG Frame Export:
When trying to export single frames from a MLV taken with a EOS M (1728x692px) as a PNG file, Windows reports a crash an ends the app but a PNG was created with a black area - see example posted. This happens when the aspect ratio is set to "Height Stretch 1.67x" (works well with "Height Stretch 1.0x").

Quote from: bouncyball on March 19, 2018, 06:53:44 PM
@masc: Houston we've got a problem :) maybe something with buffer passed to QT image writer.

@bouncyball... no no, no qt problem... I was a little stupid here. @bernie54: thanks for reporting! That was my fault and I fixed it now.

Quote from: IDA_ML on March 19, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
Another BUG in v. 014_old_CPU:
=====================

When I try to export Actual Frame, it exports it just fine as a .PNG file, even a thumbnail preview is shown in Explorer.  But when I try to open that PNG with Photoshop CS6, it (Photoshop) crashes.  It opens with FastStone Image Viewer and IrfanView fine but there is no EXIF data in that file.  I was wondering if the Actual Frame could be exported as a TIF-File containing all adjustments made in MLVApp, in the same resolution as in the video and if EXIF data could be added.

Hm, strange. I have no problem to open it in PS. There is no EXIF in the png, that is right. You can exort as TIFF via normal export. You should set cutIn and cutOut if you want only one frame.

Quote from: IDA_ML on March 19, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
Also, MLVApp still crashes during rendering MLV files from the 100D that are about 1 GB in size.  I posted such a file a few days ago already but if you may need more files please let me know.  Could this stability bug be fixed?

"Unfortunately" I don't get MLVApp to crash on my computers with your file - that's why I don't know what to fix :(

Quote from: Ilia3101 on March 19, 2018, 08:53:52 AM
One thing where I believe the Qt app is worse than cocoa app is the control sliders, you can't just click anywhere on the slider and start moving it, you have to click the knob, which feels a lot clunkier to me. Could you make the slider draggable from any position @masc?
Maybe those who like cocoa app would be happier if the Qt version had a simpler theme, but that isn't really a big deal for me.

Hehe, yes - there is another functionality in Qt: let the sliders jump in steps. I can set a step width. And if you click in the left or right of the handle, the slider jumps this width. At least I like this Qt feature - but it might be different from clean cocoa. But unfortunately I don't get the cocoa version compiled on my system... so I can't test atm how the sliders work there.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

escho

It took some time, but now i added a Table of Contents to the english version of my mlvapp-compile guide for linux: https://sternenkarten.com/tutorial-englisch/
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed