MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

Hello @bouncyball

I have some suggestions:

1-Can you add the resolution + frame rate info in the bottom bar :D
2-Negative controls especially for "Light Strength", it will help a lot for restoring highlights in dual iso footage after shifting the exposure up 4 stops.
3-I don't really use "Fix Bad Pixels" (it somehow hurt the image for me) , so if I can turn it off once instead of doing it for each clip would be a lot helpful.

And thanks for amazing App  ;)

chger

Hello,

I've been using and testing a while now under Windows x64. So far I did not encounter any problems or bugs, but have two feature requests though.

* Integration of DNxHD as an export codec:

I'd prefer using DNxHD or DNxHR as a codec in a .mov-Container (though .mxf would be recognised by Avid MC, Adobe PR has its problems with it.). An example list of command line options and settings for DNX-coding in ffmpeg can be found here: http://www.deb-indus.org/tuto/ffmpeg-howto.htm#Encoding_VC-3 or https://askubuntu.com/questions/907398/how-to-convert-a-video-with-ffmpeg-into-the-dnxhd-format-for-the-purpose-of-usin. Idealy one option would include a 10bit-output.

A direct command line input in the GUI by the user would be an alternative and provide total freedom of codec choice!

* Integration of custom LUTs

As of now I can select from a variety of LUTs (e.g. S-Log 3), but using custom LUTs (thinking of the LUT calc over here: http://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc) would be awesome.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on February 28, 2018, 01:53:53 PM
2-Negative controls especially for "Light Strength", it will help a lot for restoring highlights in dual iso footage after shifting the exposure up 4 stops.

+1

Cheers and THANK YOU!!!! for your amazing work on the App!

With best regards,
Chris

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on February 28, 2018, 10:31:42 AM
...  Initially I thought, the reason is the OS but then I installed Win10x64 and the software continues to crash every time I try to import an MLV file.
Thanks for your report. I can't believe it has something to do with your hardware - I successful use it on a 10 years old Core2duo, without any problem. I would really love to know what causes this problem. I think it could be something with localization - some parts of our app had problems there before too. But I think the only way to debug is, if you install Qt on one of your PCs, load our sourcecode, compile as Debug version and run in Debug mode. The debugger will tell us the line of the crash and then we could help solving the issue. Do you think you get that done? We have a little compilation guide, but you also can PM me, if you have problems or questions.
Edit: you get it running on XP? It was not compiled for that and I also don't get it opened there...

1-Can you add the resolution + frame rate info in the bottom bar :D
If you press "I" once, you see this info, if you press "I" twice, it is hidden again. You also can have opened the info dialog all the time on the left or right or... and the app will work as it is not opened.
You don't mean to invert the slider, but to have a negative range on the slider? Ilia trys to implement a kind of photoshops "Shadows & Highlights", but has still problems and bugs. We all hope he solves it soon.
3-I don't really use "Fix Bad Pixels" (it somehow hurt the image for me) , so if I can turn it off once instead of doing it for each clip would be a lot helpful.
If you import many MLVs, just change it first for one clip. Then Ctrl-C, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-V and you're done.

Quote from: chger on February 28, 2018, 02:17:11 PM
I've been using and testing a while now under Windows x64. So far I did not encounter any problems or bugs, but have two feature requests though.
Good to hear! :)
* Integration of DNxHD as an export codec:

I'd prefer using DNxHD or DNxHR as a codec in a .mov-Container (though .mxf would be recognised by Avid MC, Adobe PR has its problems with it.). An example list of command line options and settings for DNX-coding in ffmpeg can be found here: http://www.deb-indus.org/tuto/ffmpeg-howto.htm#Encoding_VC-3 or https://askubuntu.com/questions/907398/how-to-convert-a-video-with-ffmpeg-into-the-dnxhd-format-for-the-purpose-of-usin. Idealy one option would include a 10bit-output.
Yes, I also thought about adding that. In the tables you posted: are the options so limited for this codec?! For all existing codecs the input plays no role... so that makes it really difficult, which option is chosable for which clip... in a batch it would not be usable at all :(
A direct command line input in the GUI by the user would be an alternative and provide total freedom of codec choice!
That is very very complicated to realize regarding error handling: in the past it was already a challenge to get predefined export options to work without a crash. If the user can type what he wants... oh oh  :P

* Integration of custom LUTs

As of now I can select from a variety of LUTs (e.g. S-Log 3), but using custom LUTs (thinking of the LUT calc over here: http://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc) would be awesome.
There is a enhancement topic added on github for that already, but we will see if and when it is possible to realize that (I am also waiting for that).

Thank you all for your feedback!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

There is nothing left for me to answer :)

Thanks @masc

P.S. @IDA_ML
As I understand your problem is not related to particular MLV file right? Then you're gonna be very helpful if you do what masc asked.

IDA_ML

Quote from: bouncyball on February 28, 2018, 05:56:52 PM
P.S. @IDA_ML
As I understand your problem is not related to particular MLV file right? Then you're gonna be very helpful if you do what masc asked.

I am afraid, I have no coding/compilation skills whatsoever.  This is like Chinese to me.  I would be more than happy to try but I will need very detailed step by step instructions on how to do the compilation.  I am not sure if you guys would have the patience with me to do that.

Walter Schulz

Easy to follow for OS X/macOS users:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16012.0
Just copy text found at the end to console and your first compiler run is done.

The guys here will guide you through compiling code for this app, too.

masc

Quote from: IDA_ML on February 28, 2018, 06:22:14 PM
I am afraid, I have no coding/compilation skills whatsoever.  This is like Chinese to me.  I would be more than happy to try but I will need very detailed step by step instructions on how to do the compilation.  I am not sure if you guys would have the patience with me to do that.
You don't have to know anything about coding. It is just downloading and installing Qt for Windows (just for Windows (MinGw, 32bit), with QtCreator, all other options disabled in online installer). https://www.qt.io/download
In the source folders MLVApp/platform/qt open MLVApp.pro in QtCreator, set target to debug (just some clicks on/after import), press debug button (2nd button low left corner). Then MLVApp should start. Open a MLV - bang - crash. Qt will show you the code line where it crashes... make a screenshot. The rest we will do.
After all is done, you can uninstall it easily. (unfortunately Qt is some GB big)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

IDA_ML

Thank you Masc,

I have just registered on the Qt site and downloaded a file called "qt-unified-windows-x86-3.0.2-online.exe".  However, it is only 19 MB.  Is this what I need?  Should I install it on my Win7x64 machine?

Also, I don't understand the following statement:

"In the source folders MLVApp/platform/qt open MLVApp.pro in QtCreator ... "

Is MLVApp.pro the MLVApp.exe that I have downloaded from the first page of this thread or is it something else?

Sorry for the stupid questions but please be patient with me!  Thanks.

masc

You dont need to register - there is a very small "skip" (also in the installer).
Yes, the Online installer is right. It downloads all what is needed on install. Open it, click a few times "next", when you are on the register page search for the "skip". At one point you choose the parts to install. Enable Qt for windows 5.10.1 with mingw, and QtCreator, you won't need more for that. Mingw must be enabled somewhere (it is a long time ago I installed on Windows... sry).

Download the sources from here: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/archive/master.zip
If you unzip it, you'll understand the path I wrote. Open the .pro file in QtCreator. Creator will ask you then, what environment you like to use (there is a little triangle to enlarge, make sure Debug is enabled).
The project should be configured automatically then. On the left there is a computer icon. Press it and make sure Debug is chosen. Below there is the Debug button. Press it. It will compile (needs maybe some minutes) and start MLVApp when ready. Thats all.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kharak

I cant say that I have used the app exstensively, but so far no real bugs to be found. However it did crash yesterday after i had reviewed and tinkered with a lot of 3.5k mlv's. I think it was about 50 mlv's imported and i had tinkered around with about 30 of yhem when it just suddenly crashed, a windows message appeared "the program has encountered an error" something like that. Not a big deal for me, as i so far only used mlv app for reviewing lossless files before converting to DNG with Danne's windows batch script.

One thing I think is off with MLV App is the White Balance slider, i am on a fairly calibrated monitor and i think the Kelvin does not coincide with the normal temperatures, that I am used to from other software e.g. ACR, Resolve etc. what I mean is that I think it is overly warm. A shot under normal daylight with 5600 k looks wrong, i push it to 4800-5000 to get it to look right. Same goes for the AI Film Emulations, they are very warm. Film Convert has a very warm look, so if it learned from that, I understand.

I will compare head to head when i have the time between mlv app and acr to see if there is a difference. So far it looks off.
once you go raw you never go back

masc

Quote from: Kharak on February 28, 2018, 08:35:07 PM
...However it did crash yesterday after i had reviewed and tinkered with a lot of 3.5k mlv's. I think it was about 50 mlv's imported and i had tinkered around with about 30 of yhem when it just suddenly crashed, a windows message appeared "the program has encountered an error" something like that. ...
Yes, for me that also happens - but I have not found yet a defined way how to crash it. If you can reproduce that, please let us know!

One thing I think is off with MLV App is the White Balance slider, i am on a fairly calibrated monitor and i think the Kelvin does not coincide with the normal temperatures, that I am used to from other software e.g. ACR, Resolve etc. what I mean is that I think it is overly warm. A shot under normal daylight with 5600 k looks wrong, i push it to 4800-5000 to get it to look right.
Really? Do you have examples (jpeg and MLV(just one frame is enough))? I did a quick test, because I did not notice that yet... but can't see a big difference. Whitebalance is identical (4973K), for all other parameters I tried to find a equivalent. 1st: MLVApp, 2nd: Lightroom:

Edit: I think I remember... @bouncyball: is this a camera matrices problem? 5D2 is best and all others are more or less off?!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

It's my fault that white balance is wrong. I'll have this fixed some time soon (I've written a really nice black body simulator which I'll put to use in white balance). Also matrices.... I've almost got to that :D

@IDA_ML I have ran it on a Lenovo x61 from 2007 with linux. It's probably something to do with windows being bad as usual.

bouncyball

Not a big deal for me, as i so far only used mlv app for reviewing lossless files before converting to DNG with Danne's windows batch script.
You could batch export DNGs from MLV App directly. Is there any reason why you don't do this? If yes, then there will be some info for me to chew on.

I will compare head to head when i have the time between mlv app and acr to see if there is a difference. So far it looks off.
If it is not 5d2 then it can be so. I have implemented (in my test build) ufraw black body code modded by alex->dmilligan->(humbly me) to account camera matrixes and it woked lot better for my 5D3 than actual current release. I did not post or commited it anywhere at the moment (needs some more work).

@Ilia3101: very interested in you approach of black body radiation emulation!!! :) (you did great job emulating and interpolating wb multiplier values troughout of 2000-20000K range, unfortunatelly it's for 5D2 only)

Danne

Good guess Kharak is using the darkframe automation in the script ;).
So, not knowing too much how this darkframe workflow is fully working in Mlv app i'd like to make a suggestion to it.
1 - have the user select any amount of darkframe footage recorded and then have Mlv app all files averaged and ready for usage.
2 - have these darkframes stashed away in a storage folder, always active and used if matched footage is used. There could be an 'activate storage' button for instance.

I'm thinking every user can now keep on filling their darkframe storage and in time it would be more or less complete.

Of course unwanted scenarious could happen such as user selecting non darkframes so some sort of exposure control would be good here. Also ways to erase darkframes etc and the location of the storage folder.

Or maybe easiest way is to select a darkframe storage folder from within Mlv app and that way a user can reuse the folder with every new version coming. Mlv app could then create averaged darkframes that will work with matched footage and the storage can be activated from within the app. Every time a vanilla darkframe mlv is added to the folder Mlv app would average and standardize to suit Mlv app workflow. That way you could skip a lot of hassling steps described above and I think it would be kind of a game changer.

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks @masc

Quote from: masc on February 28, 2018, 05:23:33 PM
You don't mean to invert the slider, but to have a negative range on the slider?

Yes, I meant to have extended values for dropping highlights down.

bouncyball

@Danne: Hehe, that is one of the reasons maybe :)

Quote from: Danne on March 01, 2018, 11:48:53 AM
1 - have the user select any amount of darkframe footage recorded and then have Mlv app all files averaged and ready for usage.
This is no problem. Just import all dark frame footage clips and make averaged MLVs for each in batch export.

2 - have these darkframes stashed away in a storage folder, always active and used if matched footage is used. There could be an 'activate storage' button for instance.
Automatically matching DF with clips - this is what's not implemented (and have not been considered to be implemented) in MLV App :)

Of course unwanted scenarious could happen such as user selecting non darkframes
This can be kinda overcome b/c after loading you see all thumbnails of all imported clips. If it is not black then it certainly not DF footage.

That way you could skip a lot of hassling steps described above and I think it would be kind of a game changer.
Right... that kind of automation certainly great to have. Automatically averaging newly added DF clip also nice, but matching is kinda main problem here it must work like focus maps in the folder. There could be not only one folder of DFs, but whole DIR structure like CameraID/Resolution/ISO and also there are parameters like shutter speed, digital/analog gain, binning/skipping...

In short all this have to be coded somehow in filename or dir structure for fast access (for not reading every time all DF MLVs, or some headers in case of some new format for DFs) or implement some kind of database to quickly access those dark frame files (with any names) to match current clip parameters.

Do you use anything like this in your script for DF automation?

Danne

I did a lot around df automation and the most intuitive way is that you can add darkframe MLV,s and regular MLV files in the same folder and Switch will sort them out by reading pixel brightness. Well, I use convert(imagemagick) for this.

Here is a workflow I use with a storage folder and as you say this includes renaming, prefixing the created, averaged darkframe for fast matching. Only if it finds MLV files without the prefix avg_ then it will start processing the darkframe.
Movietime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A36KsIpVDJw&feature=youtu.be

These are my matching features, there might be more to account for as you say:
avg_14bit_EOS5DMarkIII_res_1920x672_iso_100_fps_59.940000.MLV
avg_14bit_EOS5DMarkIII_res_1920x800_iso_200_fps_59.940000.ML
V

Let me know if I could share anything else here but matching is pretty straight forward. Getting the values:
    bit=$($mlv_dump -v "$FILE" | awk '/bits_per_pixel/ { print $2; exit }')
    res=$($mlv_dump -v "$FILE" | awk '/Res/ { print $2; exit }')
    iso=$($mlv_dump -v "$FILE" | awk '/ISO:/ { print $2; exit }')
    fra=$($mlv_dump -v "$FILE" | awk '/FPS/ { print $3; exit }')
    cn=$($mlv_dump -v "$FILE" | awk '/Camera Name/ { print $4,$5,$6,$7; exit }' | cut -d "'" -f1 | tr -d ' ')

Then check if those values will marry with the regular MLV recordings.

bouncyball

Quote from: Danne on March 01, 2018, 02:03:10 PM
...Switch will sort them out by reading pixel brightness. Well, I use convert(imagemagick) for this.
Very smart move :D

Quote from: Danne on March 01, 2018, 02:03:10 PM
avg_14bit_EOS5DMarkIII_res_1920x800_iso_200_fps_59.940000.MLV
Got it, you use simple and effective file name coding. Great! :) (I should've known it if I were mac user :P)

Matching clip and DF parameters is easy in MLV App b/c you have all information at your fingertips after importing MLV, but IDK when and IF this kind of automation will be implemented and available any soon. Instead I chose the path of implementing builtin DF for cut and exported MLVs.

Anyway thanks for sharing!

And I'm interesting what personally Kharak gonna say.

regards
bb

Kharak

DeafEyeJedi

Or maybe easiest way is to select a darkframe storage folder from within Mlv app and that way a user can reuse the folder with every new version coming. Mlv app could then create averaged darkframes that will work with matched footage and the storage can be activated from within the app. Every time a vanilla darkframe mlv is added to the folder Mlv app would average and standardize to suit Mlv app workflow. That way you could skip a lot of hassling steps described above and I think it would be kind of a game changer.

OoOoOoh yeahhh I'm feelin' this one, @Danne!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

Kharak

@Bouncyball @Masc

I use the 5D3.

And I use Danne's Batch Script because of the Batch Process, just select Card/Folder containing MLV and select output and batch convert to DNG with Darkframe Automation.

Quote from: masc on February 28, 2018, 08:57:45 PM
Yes, for me that also happens - but I have not found yet a defined way how to crash it. If you can reproduce that, please let us know!
I have not found anything reproducible. It happened again yesterday evening, when I was going through about the same amount of MLV's, maybe 20-30 MLV's. So far this the most "reproducible" thing I have found, in being, that it happens after going through several MLV's. The error was a Runtime Error. It was so late, so I was not bothered enough to take a screenshot of it, but it was just a general Windows Runtime error, no specific code or anything.

Quote from: masc on February 28, 2018, 08:57:45 PM
Really? Do you have examples (jpeg and MLV(just one frame is enough))? I did a quick test, because I did not notice that yet... but can't see a big difference. Whitebalance is identical (4973K), for all other parameters I tried to find a equivalent. 1st: MLVApp, 2nd: Lightroom:
The lightroom DNG, is it exported from MLV App? That might be why they give similar results, but I don't know if you have some sort of bake-in going on with DNG export. Also 5000k for what looks to me like a sunny day, does not seem correct to me, but ofcourse, I was not there and if its your shot, then you know how it was supposed to look like that day.

Here are 4 examples of mine. 3 different softwares: MLV App, ACR and Resolve, I added a 2nd version from MLV App where I (quickly) tried to match exposure to the other two and added some saturation.

All set at 5500k
Tint on 0 on all.

No colour correction.

https://mega.nz/#!wAAHnRwA!On_Allt6g0jzkNe_gej6DEJo-mFRb0rVwqN8Lr0qhII https://mega.nz/#!RVYFVDaa!Gx_v4JU1nNnzwh73XxMOY75W0YIbf6qwCOC79UUtipk https://mega.nz/#!FYQGBIJD!jsfhJCui_qT34ItGF8xsCvrPXW4Itjyc1_2wX8geLzg https://mega.nz/#!pd4kiKxB!h8LCWwdAGmYEqQvb34rDNVIEge1mxaxEB7MqbjPw69g

All exported as PNG because MLV App exports Frames as PNG (very nice feature btw).

Some Notes:

Resolve version is DNG set to Linear to LOG-C and added Arri-Log-C to Rec709 to normalize it, 5500K in Raw Tab and exposure +1.0 to make it match the others more. Maybe there is a better way in Resolve to get a normal look with a DNG, but I never work with DNG's in Resolve.

I think the White Balance of ACR and Resolve matches a lot, even though they dont have a similar look, the overall temperature/colours look to be the same. 

But this might not be an issue with White Balance, it might just come down to how the software process' the RAW information. ACR uses process' of different kind to pop colours and Black Magic have been working a lot on there debayering since they introduced their BMCC cameras. And again, MLV App just looked off to me, maybe because I am so used to ACR and Resolve and "see colours" with their eyes.

I'd like to add that I also think its a good idea with some basic information about the MLV at the bottom bar like Resolution, Frame Rate, Lens, Aperture, ISO and Date/Time. And if one wants the full info, one can click the Info button.

bouncyball

@Kharak

Right now I'm looking @ your posted PNGs. You are right all 3 software use very different processing.

The main reason I never been satisfied with MLVProducer (despite it is great software) is pale desaturated reds and this is what also shown on your PNGs from mlv app (used only 5d2 color multipliers, matrix not suited for other cameras like 5d3, also there are other reasons for sure which IDK exactly). IMHO the difference (not featurewise but imagewise) between MLVP and MLV App is that in MLV App you can achieve more pleasing results after less tweaking (but not ideal), what I'm not able to do even with curves, etc in MLVP. For me colors are always wrong there, no matter what I do. In short - out of the box image is better in mlv app for my eye. I think in regard of color and WB accuracy MLV App can not really compete with resolve or ACR at the moment. Besides, like Ilia already said, he's working on a lot of improvements in this field.

Quote from: Kharak on March 01, 2018, 09:36:24 PM
All exported as PNG because MLV App exports Frames as PNG (very nice feature btw).
You better export 16bit TIFFs not 8 bit PNG which is only for quick peek.

Quote from: Kharak on March 01, 2018, 09:36:24 PM
I'd like to add that I also think its a good idea with some basic information about the MLV at the bottom bar like Resolution, Frame Rate, Lens, Aperture, ISO and Date/Time. And if one wants the full info, one can click the Info button.
As Masc mentioned already you can open info dialog and leave it open while switching between clips (the dialog info will update every time you go to the next MLV).

regards
bb

Lars Steenhoff

I woud love to see a 2X resize preset. ( 200% )

So I can easy export and upscaled to 4k

Markus

So you can use this app now for DF averaging and put out new cdng files on Win (or maybe soon)?
If that's so I have to try this out!

@Danne, You have a program for osx that does this aswell?