MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToniX

I have a problem with MLV GUI that severely limits the usability of the program, either with MLV.App.v0.13 /0.14.alpha.Win64.static.

The "edit area" panel is not displayed correctly.

In fact, all the commands on the extreme right of the panel are not completely visible and therefore are not accessible.

I tried different screen resolutions without solving.

I use win 8.1 x64 and I wonder if anyone else has the same issue.

Any solution? (detachable panel, a drop menu, more extended stretching ...)
600D - EFs18-55 ISII

Walter Schulz

Wild guess: Item/font size off.

Run
control /name Microsoft.Display

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back

masc

@ Kharak:
What we need for teaching a look is some sample pictures with and without a look applied. Import is to have as many colors as possible inside such pictures. It can be also more than one picture per look. We then have a little command line tool what teaches the look to some numbers, and this numbers can be compiled with a new name to MLV App. ;-)

@ToniX:
I also think it is a Windows font setting. If Windows overrides our font settings, the fonts may be to big for the GUI. We had the same problem on Linux. If fonts are system standard all should be fine.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

GianlucaM83

@ToniX: I had the same problem. Text in the right panel appeared truncated. I have solved using this way: mlvapp.exe -> Properties > compatibility -> check "override high dpi scaling behavior -> select "system", OK.
I hope this helps you.
EDIT: I use windows 10 x64. In windows 8.1 the procedure may be slightly different.

PS:Sorry for my very bad english.

ToniX

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 17, 2018, 03:26:11 PM
Wild guess: Item/font size off.

Run
control /name Microsoft.Display

Hi @Walter Schulz 

I restricted the characters to the minimum size, actually allowing  the view of the parts of the panel that were missing. Unfortunately, this client side solution involves making the rest of the PC unusable, as the texts are for the most part illegible.

Perhaps solving at level of  programming, would be more logical and functional.

Thanks anyway, at least so I will get to test the app  (which looks to be very cool!)

Quote from: GianlucaM83 on February 17, 2018, 07:12:02 PM

@ToniX: I had the same problem. Text in the right panel appeared truncated. I have solved using this way: mlvapp.exe -> Properties > compatibility -> check "override high dpi scaling behavior -> select "system", OK.
I hope this helps you.
EDIT: I use windows 10 x64. In windows 8.1 the procedure may be slightly different.

PS:Sorry for my very bad english.

Grazie @GianlucaM83 - I've tried, it would have been a preferable solution but it does not work for me. :(

600D - EFs18-55 ISII

ToniX

Quote from: masc on February 17, 2018, 06:14:44 PM

@ToniX:
I also think it is a Windows font setting. If Windows overrides our font settings, the fonts may be to big for the GUI. We had the same problem on Linux. If fonts are system standard all should be fine.

@masc,  I saw your comment just now. Pardon
It is certainly a problem caused by windows, known and annoying ..The default settings are too small, so I switched to "BIG" (or Large),  while sizes of specific items (menu, icons, etc) are set  between 9-11 .... ::)
600D - EFs18-55 ISII

Kharak

@bouncyball

I post it tomorrow, no time this evening.

@Masc

So with this learning, one could skip the steps of mlv - converting to a Log image -> corrections - grade - final look? I guess i am asking could the A.I take an MLV - "fake all the steps" - final look? Too complex? Further more, is this perhaps what fhe future of post processing looks like? And it eventually sends robots back in time ;)

Walter Schulz

@ToniX: Had the same issue with several java and web apps after setting item size to 150 (W7) at the company. Thought giving users with not so optimal vision something good. Had to revert it because of login screen troubles and such like.

Windows, application GUIs and high dpi monitors ... <sigh>.

bouncyball

I have this problem on my 13inch high DPI notebook too.

It seems for QT there is not only macos DPI scalability is possible: Link.

@Kharak: take your time.

masc

Topic highres: is there something we can do? I use already the Qt's highres support with devicePixelRatio and Fusion style. I am not sure if I can do something else. There is absolutely no problem on OSX retina for me - it is only way slower as without retina.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on January 07, 2018, 09:48:59 PM
Thank you!
I shot today a video with x5 crop mode at 14bit lossless resolution 1920x818 (14bit uncompressed works perfectly.)
The pixel dots pattern was different compared with full 2520x1072 resolution so no map worked for it.
Make your tests:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WdY7djRxC9tJjnJvQw_gQ5er30t_joKF
Quote from: dfort on January 08, 2018, 08:03:44 AM
That particular file has the focus pixels shifted 8-frames. I think it has happened before but I can't find the post.

zoom mode is a special case because we're not sure what part of the sensor it was recorded on. I thought we covered all possible locations but maybe not?

In other news, the fpm2pbm.sh and pbm2fpm.sh scrips got a big speed boost:...

Look like the same problem here in MLVApp, the problem was solved in MLVFS and MLVProducer, I don't know if the new focus maps solved the problem or the developers added some codes in their software.

Amazing app thanks!

bouncyball

@theBilalFakhouri

This MLV of yours is very special case:

1. it is 8-12 bit lossless but has white level at 16200
2. it has 1107 vertical resolution of raw buffer

Because of 1st reason it is not detected as 8-12bit lossless, hence MLV App does not generate the correct map.

Use this map from @dfort for this case: 80000326_2592x1107.fpm. Put it into the same directory where MLV App binary is.

masc

Quote from: Kharak on February 17, 2018, 08:02:24 PM
@Masc
So with this learning, one could skip the steps of mlv - converting to a Log image -> corrections - grade - final look? I guess i am asking could the A.I take an MLV - "fake all the steps" - final look? Too complex? Further more, is this perhaps what fhe future of post processing looks like? And it eventually sends robots back in time ;)
It could be possible for a set of very equal clips. But the AI is not intelligent in correcting pictures. It is just intelligent in learning a difference between two looks in the same picture.

Quote from: Kharak on February 17, 2018, 02:31:26 PM
You should talk to hyjalinim or how you spell it, he has some really nice examples of Ektar 100 film. I find his Ektar 100 LUT requires a very specific exposure to yield nice results, perhaps that is something the A.I can learn to do for us? Just a suggsstion.
I trained the Ektar 100 look to MLV App. But I think it is not good as it is now, because it is very difficult to get a clean set of pictures, where
a) the MLV App look is the basic
b) the converted look is the same picture with Ektar100 applied
Both apps bring a different look - also without the LUT. Very difficult... so it may work for some clips, but it will not work good for other ones. In my opinion the result is too intense... see examples... and I had to decrease saturation a lot for not getting screaming colors.

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kharak

Hard to tell by the flowers, but that top one of the boat looks very nice. Atleast on my phone it does.

Edit: Just looked again at the pictures on my computer, did not see the boat picture on the right before. So that is the Ektar one, yeah it is not too nice, way too intense. Normal one looks kinda like what I imagined the Ektar 100 to look like when correctly applied.

The LUT is very intense, hence why I only use it for photography, because i always, after setting DCP to ML Log in ACR, have to pull highlights -85 or -100 and boost shadows around +30 to not lose too much detail.

I dont know which LUT you used, but Hyjalinim and Danne made the LUT for Danne's ML log. So that might be why it is so intense. There are many versions of ghd lut in his thread. And applying the LUT to Log-C turns the colours wrong.

Edit: @Bouncyball,

I was about to upload MLV example of the ones I could not see in the Import Window, tried the import window one more time now and I can see the MLV's. So all good!

bouncyball

Quote from: Kharak on February 18, 2018, 07:20:59 PM
I was about to upload MLV example of the ones I could not see in the Import Window, tried the import window one more time now and I can see the MLV's. So all good!
Heh, good to know, b/c that was weird :)

masc

I used the "BMD to Etkar C", minus a lot of saturation. I trained the AI again with more pictures and it looks a bit better now... but like the LUT - I don't know - I don't think so  :P  :D
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

Thanks! @bouncyball it worked.

But it's just 14bit lossless with white level of 16200 not 8-12 lossless.

bouncyball

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on February 18, 2018, 09:22:56 PM
But it's just 14bit lossless with white level of 16200 not 8-12 lossless.
Hehe :) you mean you did not record it as 8-10 or 12 bit lossless?! (In some rare cases somehow 8-12bit restricted lossless has full range white level like 16000+)

But if you say it was initially recorded as 14bit lossless... then... Houston we've got a problem - @dfort: new special case arrived! Our restricted lossless check is down the drain ;)

theBilalFakhouri

Yes I didn't record at 8-12bit lossless, it's 14bit lossless form the beginning :)

dfort

Quote from: bouncyball on February 19, 2018, 11:31:56 AM
@dfort: new special case arrived! Our restricted lossless check is down the drain ;)

In my script I'm just reporting whether it looks like a lossless compression clip but always applying the most aggressive focus pixel map. It doesn't seem to hurt the image and is better than having focus pixels showing up because the lossless check failed.

if [ $bits_per_pixel -eq 14 ] && [ $white_level -lt 15000 ]; then echo "Detected a 12 or lower logical bit depth lossless compressed file"; fi

BTW -- This test passes. The file was recorded 14bit lossless. We've already found out that sometimes the focus pixels shift 8-pixels when recording in 14bit so we need to account for that. The reduced bit depth clips map files just cover more of the sensor area.

bouncyball

Quote from: dfort on February 19, 2018, 04:53:23 PM
We've already found out that sometimes the focus pixels shift 8-pixels when recording in 14bit so we need to account for that. The reduced bit depth clips map files just cover more of the sensor area.
Right, then zoom mode pattern generator have to account 2nd pass of shifted pixels for any lossless MLV.

bouncyball

Hello everybody!

What's up guys it's so silent here. Any feedback? Any bugs? Any suggestions? Anything else? :D

Edit: LINK - good rate of downloads for 2 weeks anyway :)

IDA_ML

Bouncyball,

I would love to test the latest version of MLVApp and provide feedback on it but as I stated seval times it will not run on any of my computers.  Initially I thought, the reason is the OS but then I installed Win10x64 and the software continues to crash every time I try to import an MLV file.  It starts normally and displays the GUI though.  The PC on which this happens has now two OS-es:  Win10x64 and XPx32.  The same software crash is observed on both OS-es with the 64-bit and the 32-bit MLVApp versions, accordingly.  My PC has the following configuration:

MoBo: Intel DP35DP
CPU: Quad core Q6600
RAM: 8 GB DDR2
GPU: GTX 750 Ti

I observe exactly the same behavior also with my laptop Lenovo 3000 N200 with 4GB of RAM on it.  No luck here either.

I have never ever observed any problems with any other software on the above two computers, even DaVinci Resolve 14.3 runs perfectly on the Q6600 PC.  It is very powerful, despite being 10 years old.  Just MLVApp refuses to work on it and on my laptop too.  And since there are many friends of mine who experience exactly the same problem with MLVApp on their older PCs, I have a request to you.  Could you please check and see if a colleague or friend of yours has an older PC similar to the ones listed above?  If you find such a person and ask him to let you run MLVApp on his computer maybe you could find out what causes the crash and perform a fix, accordingly.  My friends and I really should greatly appreciate if you could do that.  On my part, I promise to provide feedback on the latest MLVApp as soon as I get it working on my PCs.

Thank you in advance.