MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: dfort on January 18, 2018, 10:22:10 PM
A couple of important steps:

brew install qt caskroom/cask/qt-creator
echo 'export PATH="/usr/local/opt/qt/bin:$PATH"' >> ~/.bash_profile

You also have to tweak the preferences:

Yay!

You mustn't do that. Just install the version provided on the Qt homepage and you don't have to adjust anything.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

dfort

Quote from: masc on January 19, 2018, 08:15:27 AM
You mustn't do that.

Most of what I do I mustn't do.

Ok, so the download link on the www.qt.io website took me to a Russian page but the next link went back to English--that was weird. I opened a QT account in order to run the installer, figured out what I wanted to install (there are lots of options) and when I finally got it working--

:-1: error: No rule to make target `FFmpeg/ffmpeg', needed by `MLV App.app/Contents/MacOS/ffmpeg'.  Stop.

Oh yeah--go back and read the MLV App instructions. Ah ha, - unpack ffmpegOSX.zip in `platform/qt/FFmpeg` and - go to tab project, add command line argument -j4 (for quad core)

Yay!

masc

Hehe. Yes. And it also works without Qt login/account. If you don't like the online installer, there is also a offline installer.
Using Qt5.10 has one bug for me - at least in the UI editor: the frame position slider is too short. But this happens only for OSX style, not for dark style. Qt5.9.3 is fine.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: dfort on January 19, 2018, 09:33:04 AM
Most of what I do I mustn't do.
Yay!
Haha, now, that very familiar cat looks beautiful everywhere ;)

@dfort: Congrats! Now you are the part of us, "MLV App"ers :)

Ilia, Masc, and I did our best to make this proggie as useful as it is now... more is coming, (@DeafEyeJedi, I'm not teasing... well, may be a lil' bit :P)

ilia3101

reddeercity

Had a problem trying to download the latest windows version thought windows explorer (on Win7Pro , I don't use win10 ,  don't like it at all waiting for wins 12  :P)
I tried with this link  https://ilia3101.github.io/MLV-App/
Anyways here the screen shot with Explorer

So I had to use Google Chrome   >:( ,  the download links show up and could be downloaded .

Appears to be errors on the download web page with github , maybe have you downloads on a different hosting site even bitbucket
just a thought

masc

5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

@reddeercity
Yes try the github release page.
Internet explorer has been deprecated for years, so it's a vulnerability and may not support some javascript features that are used to fetch the releases through Github API.
I could be able to fix it if you tried to track down some what causes the problem specifically, but probably not worth the time.

reddeercity

ZakWestbrook

This is incredible! I personally don't know much about coding and what would be involved but if it were possible to incorporate ACR's "clarity" function and ACR's highlight function this would be the perfect app for magic lantern! Also the app on my OSX just randomly closed the second time I used it when I tried to export the file. Awesome work though. It does really simplify things

ilia3101

@ZakWestbrook Features like that are coming next. I agree "clarity" and highlights/shadows are the main thing it needs right now to be even better.

Quote from: ZakWestbrook on January 21, 2018, 01:27:15 AM
Also the app on my OSX just randomly closed the second time I used it when I tried to export the file.

Which app version, which export settings? Explain as much as you can!!!

ZakWestbrook

This app actually does an incredible job of reproducing the image I see in my cameras LCD. I've always used MLVFS in the past, ran it into davinci and exported prores 422 and for whatever reason, the image renders a few stops darker than what's actually on my LCD (without changing any settings). Then when I would bring the exposure back up, a TON of noise and red lines from the ISO would show up. It's always been a battle finding a good middle ground of how to properly expose. In general I always like to over expose a stop or two to eliminate as much noise as possible and ACR's highlight and clarity function have saved me on numerous occasions. Having those functions in the MLV App would be incredible for the flexibility alone. This is a recent test I did with hardly any light at all at 400ISO with my Mark III using the MLV App. I wanted to test out the flexibility of the White Balance in the MLV App in low light and I wanted to see how well I could get rid of noise in the shadow areas in the MLV App. Here it is below..there is no noise reduction on the clip.

https://vimeo.com/252102973/89c08d20e5

I'm using the QT MLV.App.v0.13.alpha.OSX on a Macbook air OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.6. (Idk if that matters). I've used the app a couple of times now and half the time it's been great, however the other half it's been quitting unexpectedly right when I go to "Export Selected Clips". I played around with it a ton tonight and I can't find any consistency as to why it's closing out. The only thing that's consistent is that it quits unexpectedly right as I click "Export Selected clips".

A couple other minor suggestions I have are
1. When going to save the project, I have to retype the project name in every time I save it to overwrite the project. Is there a way to streamline that and have it populate when I go to save the project?
2. Playback seems to skip for me and looks like it's only showing every 3rd frame in the actual app. (it's fine once it's actually exported though) so right now what I'm doing is opening up the MLV in MLRawViewer to decide whether or not I like the clip and then export into the MLV App. (it'd be awesome to have everything in 1 place)
3. The White Balance temperature and tint doesn't seem to be as flexible as Davinci or ACR. There's some weird things happening when I push the white balance in the darker areas as seen in the clip that doesn't happen in ACR or Davinci.

I love the work that's being done here though! I'd love to use this app for every project I have moving forward and there's no doubt that this has some serious potential! Keep up the great work!

masc

Thanks! Each info can be useful.

Not bad... I see no noise! :) But at ISO400 I only expect that... :) I often record at >=ISO1000 @f/1.4 and there the noise starts in the darks using my 5D2.

When the app crashes, OSX brings a Messagebox. There is a button "Report". It would be interesting what it tells (OSX is so kind telling the crashing function ;) ).

1. You mustn't type the name. Just click the file. But yes, I also can improve that.
2. Deactivate "Drop Frame Mode" and you'll see every frame in playback, with the maximum speed you Mac is able to render. (Drop Frame = Realtime with dropping frames it can not render in time)
3. Do you have example pictures? I don't understand it completely...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on January 23, 2018, 08:20:20 AM
often record at >=ISO1000 @f/1.4 and there the noise starts in the darks using my 5D2.
Yes with that popular lovely 50mil I often use ISO 1600 @ f1.4 on my 5D3, the noise in shadows very manageable.

btw: the coolest thing is that Canon's 50mm @ f1.4 is ~0.5 stop brighter then it should be :)

domo94

I'm so glad I found this.

As an editor, I would like to see blacks, shadows, highlights, and whites, instead of whatever is on the interface already.
It runs opposite to what's the standard in this industry for any type of image correction.

That's just my 2 cents: coming from an editor who would like to further use these programs consistently in his workflow.

Overall great app so far though. I love the option for Pros Res 422 and the likes.

Akurra

It seems to repeat the problem from raw2cdng and Davinci Resolve - the WAV files generated are few frames shorter than DNG sequence, and Davinci is not attaching it automatically to the DNG sequence.
The files were from 5D2 - system fps setting was 24 fps.

Also a corrupt MLV file - the one that did not fit into memory card, crashed it.

Otherwise - great APP. Even more than great!

Danne

@Akurra
Can you upload your file? Also, test the same mlv against batch_mlv, it also should work with automatic resolve embedding.
Wav being a few frames shorter is common. As a matter of fact I never recorded a mlv file plus wav that matched exactly yet.
Wav being shorter is better, when longer it disables resolve embedding.

Akurra

A correction. It does not seem to be a *.wav file length problem.
The same problem occurs when using raw2cdng 2.7.9.

Batch_mlv outputs works fine.

I checked again: even when the *.wav file has correct length this is what happens:

In the Davinci media explorer file shows as video with audio (a little musical note sign). And when I click the "audio track" icon in the bottom-left of viewer to display just the audio there seems to be an audio file, which plays ok.
But when I switch back to video track, the video playback is mute,
and when I drag the file to the "Bins" window, the audio is corrupted? shifted? ... as you see on the image below, there is just a very short wave peak at the beginning.
Below is audio imported separately.

Dropbox file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e85swbxwfjj913l/M04-1853.MLV?dl=0

darmowa galeria allegro

masc

Quote from: Akurra on February 04, 2018, 04:24:48 PM
It seems to repeat the problem from raw2cdng and Davinci Resolve - the WAV files generated are few frames shorter than DNG sequence, and Davinci is not attaching it automatically to the DNG sequence.
The files were from 5D2 - system fps setting was 24 fps.

MLVApp cuts audio only when it is longer than the video. So if audio is shorter (whyever, I also have a 5D2 and audio is always longer), then you have only one chance: move cutOut some frames to the front. Then it should automatically attach in Resolve. It is not only the length, it is also the metadata inside the wav what is needed by Resolve. But MLVApp writes that - at least in newer versions.

Quote from: Akurra on February 04, 2018, 04:24:48 PM
Also a corrupt MLV file - the one that did not fit into memory card, crashed it.

Are you using latest version of MLVApp? We had this problems many versions ago, but fixed that. Can you please upload the file which crashed MLVApp, or is it too big? Would be nice to have it for debugging.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Akurra

@masc

As I wrote above, it does not seem to be a problem with wav lenght after all.

I downloaded MLVApp just yesterday for the first time, so I guess it's up to date.

Unfortunately I deleted the file that used to crash it (stupid me).

masc

@Akurra:
It must be something in your workflow: I downloaded your file, exported to dng and imported to Resolve: Audio+Video is automatically linked. I used MLVApp 0.13 and Davinci 14.2.1.

Edit: now I think I found what your problem is: audio plays only for the first few frames and then it is like muted in Resolve. Playing the original WAV works fine... that is strange. Could you test if you have the same problem for a "rounded" fps? You use 23.976 - maybe try with 25. If that works we know where to search ;-)

Edit2:
I think I found it:
Timecode audio: starts always at 0
Timecode video: starts not at 0
So video and audio does not fit, even when it is linked. We have a bug issue for that now: https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/issues/72
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Yeah seems this issue is fixed now, however when we're gonna release the v0.14 all testers are welcome :D

escho

Three things:

Is it possible and makes it sense to add some kind of progressbar, when importing a mlv? What do you think?

I found a way to create some kind of "table of content" in wordpress. I added this to my german-compile-tutorial ( https://seescho.wordpress.com/fotos/ml/ ). I will add this to the english version too. Later...

Did someone with Linux try to enable filter?
Without mlv loaded, no problem. With a mlv loaded, mlvapp freezes and crash 10 seconds later:
Speicherzugriffsfehler (Speicherabzug geschrieben)
Tested with opensuse leap and tumbleweed.
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

masc

Hej escho,
1.: does it still take long time for you to import? On my old Macbook I can import a lot of MLVs from USB 2.0 HDD within seconds... When it was slow some versions ago, I also thought implementing that.

2. Cool!  8) I like your tutorials a lot! It is much more detailed than my one.

3. Hmmm... I had that when playing around on macOS. But with the version in the repos I get no error on Win & macOS. Maybe bouncyball can test with his Linux?! ;) Are you able to debug and tell us the line where it crashes? v0.14 won't take longtime until release - so each bug found before will be good for everybody :)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202