MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12georgiadis

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if we can add the H264 proxy workflow that already exists on Danne's switch software ? It allows you "to start to before the MLV files are processed. There's an option in Switch that allows you to trim the H.264 proxies without having to process the MLV files. While not as fast as simply copying the files off the card, it does cut down the wait time between shooting and editing. As an example, on a day that I shot 51 clips totaling 31.5 minutes it took only 17.5 minutes to trim the H.264 proxies compared to processing the MLV files to DNGs which took 4 hours. Yes, you can also use MLVFS or whatever other post workflow you want, just remember that the audio must be extracted from the H.264 proxies and Switch does that for you." (cf. Dfort Reply #314 on Switch Thread). Then, you edit with h264 with audio and make a conformation after your edit to relink to the original MLV for color grading in resolve (in addition to MLVFS).

masc

Hi, no sry. ATM we still do nothing with H264 Proxys. You only can open MLVs and look at them, cut them and build new proxies. With the same cut settings but processed, you export ProRes or whatever then and exchange the files in FCPX or whatever you use. A workflow can be then:
1. Open files in MLVApp, sort out bad ones (delete them).
2. Create proxys
3. Cut in FCPX, Premiere, ...
4. Color-Correct MLVs in MLVApp
5. Export ProRes4444
6. Relink files in FCPX,...
7. Export final video
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

12georgiadis

Thank you for the reply Masc. I often use your workflow for small personal projects but that takes too much time and process for a pro indy workflow. I love your app but most of the time I need h264 proxy workflow. I keep it for playback and hope for realtime soon ;-)

Kanakori

How do you guys process dual iso mlv's? I click the "on" button on the dual iso tab but the end files still have lines.

masc

Yeah... just switch it on and all should be fine. Can you upload the file (at least some frames of it)? So we could analyse what is going wrong. What was the setting used, and on what camera? Are you on Win/OSX/Linux?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

12georgiadis

Hello ilia3101 and masc,
Do you think it's possible to implement an antialiasing script like the one used by danne and the one used by a1ex? A lot of people there doesn't have money to pay a vaf-filter, so it can be a good alternative to process it and then export from mlv free of aliasing to ProRes.

Edit :  it can also allow us to check the before/after in real-time for more accurate comparison

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

masc

Quote from: 12georgiadis on January 05, 2018, 12:01:51 AM
Hello ilia3101 and masc,
Do you think it's possible to implement an antialiasing script like the one used by danne and the one used by a1ex? A lot of people there doesn't have money to pay a vaf-filter, so it can be a good alternative to process it and then export from mlv free of aliasing to ProRes.

Edit :  it can also allow us to check the before/after in real-time for more accurate comparison

I can't tell you, if we can implement that, because it is the first time I have heard about antialiasing in SW here. Do you or does anyone else (@Danne?!) have/has more information? That sounds interesting... Or is it just this ffmpeg antialiasing? Then we can't show it in realtime and can't export to "real" prores.
The best algorithm I knew until now is AMaZE against moiree: not perfect, but way better than most others...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: Kanakori on January 04, 2018, 04:09:07 PM
How do you guys process dual iso mlv's? I click the "on" button on the dual iso tab but the end files still have lines.
Let me guess, you exported DNGs as "fast pass".

masc

Quote from: Danne on January 05, 2018, 05:46:18 PM
A work in progress :)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=21089.msg193622#msg193622
Ah okay, that was this story, I remember. Is there a way to use this with pipes or something like that? ATM I am happy that we don't need temp files. Using these programs would make a big mess again. Do you see a possibility?!  ;D
What you could do: combine the two solutions: take MLV App first to get AMaZE debayered TIFF and then take (a part of) the script fullfilling the antialiasing. That should bring nice results!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on January 05, 2018, 06:37:39 PM
Using these programs would make a big mess again. Do you see a possibility?!  ;D
To avoid using external programs, the optical flow should be implemented into the mlv app processing. Ilia! Where are you? :P

Enfuse/hugin align_image_stack approach proposed by Danne as an aliasing cure is a bit different but indeed gives very clean results.

bb

Danne

Debayered tiffs and using the script in post of course if not using  integrated code like optical flow is my opinion :)

12georgiadis

Yeah, Danne's script is pretty straightforward and gives nice result. It could be a good implementation on MLV app. Even if you have VAF-filter, in certain cases it's not enough. Indeed, with wide lenses, VAF-filter doesn't work (they will update their filters this year) and the VAF is bluring the picture. With the next version, it will be sharp but hey, it's still very expansive. An all in one post-solution is a good alternative especially for cheap cameras

masc

I agree with bouncyball and Danne: if we want a nice solution (with preview, without memory mess, without external programs which always bring problems,...) we only can implement a in-program-solution. This means implementing optical flow and aligning... yeah... if there is someone out there who can help with that... we are here and waiting for you! ;)

Btw: how good is the script solution working with moving objects and wide angle?! I always have big problems when using optical flow for slowmotion with my clips - that nearly never works (brings missing or double objects flimmering in the clip; tested with FCPX & Resolve).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

From my comparison test with interpolation frames through ffmpeg "minterpolate" and the hugin/enfuse solution I got more stable results with the latter. Unfortunately I cannot say much about the optical flow technique but they do things different so I say it´s for testers to decide. Got any test files :)?

masc

Sure. But I had to search for a while. Here you have: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw260tdkmalnja6/M25-1225s.MLV.zip?dl=0
When reducing speed to 50% there happens this: (left original frame, right generated frame, happens in the end of the clip)

Unfortunately there is not much aliasing in the clip... maybe the glass border line?!

Scenes with water also nearly never work with optical flow.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Yeah, I often get something similar. No free lunch here with interpolation. My take is that averaging multiple frames and aligning those into one new file gets nice clean images with reduced aliasing without the intrpolation issues. Still, it needs more testing.

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on January 06, 2018, 08:59:42 PM
if there is someone out there who can help with that... we are here and waiting for you! ;)
+1 !

Kharak

I've been using MLV app for reviewing shots before conversion. It is very nice, the image is very nice in the program and simple light and darken options can simulate very well the look one was looking for. Though like everyone here said before, no way to get real time playback. Still saves one having to convert all Lossless files to then review and delete.

A small bug I noticed, is when importing multiple mlv's and maximizing the window while it is importing, the program will crash.

Also, would be nice if you could add keyboard commands, like CTRL+Z to undo changes in the parameters, one has done by mistake.

I can not see any difference with Highlight Reconstruction ON and OFF. I always set it to ON and choose Film.

EDIT: Win 8.1
once you go raw you never go back

masc

You can get nearly realtime by activating caching and wait until caching is idle. On 8 years old notebooks you can reach more than 10 fps easily, on better computers more than 15 fps what nearly looks like realtime preview.

Yes, while importing you should not do anything. I think I can make that safer. Edit: got it fixed.

Undo changes is very very hard to realize, because we would have to protocol everything you do in the app. We don't do that atm, and for sliders this is even harder to realize, because of showing all changes in realtime.

Highlight Reconstruction only works, if you have a overexposed clip. Then drag exposure to something around -2. The overexposed areas will be pink now. Activate Highlight Reconstruction - now the pink is away. So if you don't have overexposed pinkish areas, you don't need to activate this option.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Kharak

Okey, thank you for the explanation.

I always use Amaze caching and i noticed the speed increasing when it is Idle, but I only get 7 fps. Is the app runned by CPU only? i7, 980m, 32 gb ram.

I have only used mlv app for 3,5k mlv's. I will try with HD, it should theoretically almost tripple the speed?
once you go raw you never go back

masc

Yes, the higher the resolution, the slower the playback. What also helps to increase the playback speed: do not use highres displays (e.g. Apple Retina - external displays can nearly double the speed) and/or make the Apps window smaller (fullscreen is the slowest). The fps I wrote were reached for MLVs at 1856x1044 (5D2).
And yes, all is running on CPU atm. So it runs on almost every computer, the graphics card plays no role. I always had big problems with apps like MLRV and Resolve - long time I did not find any computer where these apps were working, while MLVProducer was working well (even on OSX via Wine).
Bouncyball and Ilia were trying out OpenCL, but this is not so easy as the CPU based C/C++ code (at least I don't understand this) and the first experiments were also not really faster because of memory copy actions. We will see if someone has a good solution for making it faster in the future... ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

dfort

The binaries listed on the first post haven't been updated in a while and I wanted to check out the new focus pixel commits so I decided to compile the qt version on my Mac.

A couple of important steps:

brew install qt caskroom/cask/qt-creator
echo 'export PATH="/usr/local/opt/qt/bin:$PATH"' >> ~/.bash_profile

You also have to tweak the preferences:

Yay!

Danne

dfort

It even works with this EOSM crop_rec pre-RAWC shot if you play around with the options: