MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: domasa on December 30, 2017, 12:37:49 AM
When I delete some video, first video is always selected. It will be better select next video with nereast index ;)
Was already done.

Quote from: togg on December 30, 2017, 11:18:35 AM
Oh, I wonder how it was done on mlrw, preview it's an important thing but I guess it's still usable at 5-8 fps.
So slow?! On my 8 years old Core2Duo MacBook I get something between 10-12 fps with v0.13... that looks not so bad...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

togg

I have a mbpr 2.3 i7, it's not the best but it should be able to handle something okeish!

masc

What??? That should be way faster! Have you found the caching option? Let it cache until it says "Idle" again and then play. You should get around 15 frames with an i7!!!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

escho

I updated my tutorial for compiling  MLV-App in Linux openSUSE (german version).:
https://seescho.wordpress.com/fotos/ml/
An updated english version will follow soon.
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Dmytro_ua

Wow! This app looks so promising!
I'm wondering, is it possible to implement different fps playback function? For example, I have 50-60fps footage, but I'd like to preview it at 25fps (in slow motion). It would be great to have some options like:
- native fps (as it is now)
- custom fps (speed playback options)
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

togg

Quote from: masc on December 30, 2017, 12:05:24 PM
What??? That should be way faster! Have you found the caching option? Let it cache until it says "Idle" again and then play. You should get around 15 frames with an i7!!!

I don't know what to say. I'll try with different drives.

Dmytro_ua

I have 10-15fps on my working i7 desktop. There is great realtime preview on MlRawViewer even on my old notebook.

p.s.
I've found a bug. All my footage stops on 354 frame. Will try different footage to get more information.

bouncyball

Guys like I said I wish we could play video in real time BUT...

MLRawViewer uses pure OpenGL engine for debayer, basic tonmapping and color balancing (and there is none of more sophisticated processing like denoise, etc)

We use CPU engine for all of these.

We did some experiments with OpenCL debayer and now @Ilia3101 experimenting with OpenCL processing (and I guess bilinear OpenCL demosaic).

It is pointless to debayer with OpenGL/OpenCL and then color process with CPU. Technically as OpenGL is by far different than CPU coding it is hard to use for complicated graphics processing. That is why all in one OpenCL (not OpenGL) pipeline is our choice and it needs lots of time to understand ;), implement and tune.

@Dmytro_ua
The FPS override is implemented long time ago and is accessible via export settings "fps override" and It works for playback too.

regards
bb

bouncyball

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on December 30, 2017, 11:03:16 PM
I've found a bug. All my footage stops on 354 frame. Will try different footage to get more information.
Please collaborate more on this (what is your OS, which - 32 or 64 bit version of MLV App you use) and upload some affecting MLVs to check.

escho

MLV-App: Compiling for Linux openSUSE
I just finished the english version of my tutorial:
https://seescho.wordpress.com/tutorial-englisch/
I hope, I didn´t forget to much...

masc

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on December 30, 2017, 07:11:23 PM
Wow! This app looks so promising!
I'm wondering, is it possible to implement different fps playback function? For example, I have 50-60fps footage, but I'd like to preview it at 25fps (in slow motion). It would be great to have some options like:
- native fps (as it is now)
- custom fps (speed playback options)
This is implemented. Go to export settings and set fps override. That also works for playback.

Quote from: escho on December 31, 2017, 12:19:08 PM
MLV-App: Compiling for Linux openSUSE
I just finished the english version of my tutorial:
https://seescho.wordpress.com/tutorial-englisch/
Thank you! :)

And... funny: on none of my computers MlRawViewer feels faster as MLV App... am I doing something wrong?! How do you get it so fast?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: escho on December 31, 2017, 12:19:08 PM
Small correction ;)

cdng (up to 16bit, lossless or uncompressed)

bouncyball

Quote from: masc on December 31, 2017, 12:50:40 PM
And... funny: on none of my computers MlRawViewer feels faster as MLV App... am I doing something wrong?! How do you get it so fast?
MLV App feels very snappy in all aspects except REAL realtime playback ;)

In the beginning I was also eager to implement the same shaders as in mlrawviewer (even have draft concept using QT openGL somewhere on hdd at my work) but then droped this because our goal is different (add more processing features in the future and it would be very hard to do in opengl shaders) hence it should be implemented differently. I did not say it's easy to do this in OpenCL :P, but it's better and future proof.

Danne

Previewer is more than good enough for what it does imo. Even get 8fps on my macbook air  1.6 cpu and around 15-17fps on my macbook pro.

masc

Hm, but MlRawViewer is far away from real realtime as well. I would say MLRV bilinear = MLVAPP AMaZE cached and MLRV AMaZE = MLVAPP bilinear in terms of speed on all of my systems, no matter if Win or OSX.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Thanks a lot escho!

Speaking of real time playback... very soon there will be another upgrade to CPU processing performance, so maybe real time playback :)

Dmytro_ua

Don't you think it is possible to lower playback resolution to make it more realtime?

Quote from: Dmytro_ua on December 30, 2017, 11:03:16 PM
All my footage stops on 354 frame. Will try different footage to get more information.

Never mind. It was footage from some early (summer) experimental builds. Installed the latest build and playback works fine.

JADURCA

Quote from: togg on December 30, 2017, 10:43:37 PM
I don't know what to say. I'll try with different drives.

@togg, I believe that what @masc is telling you to wait until 'Caching' status changes from "active" to "idle" when changing 'Debayer for preview' option. Check screenshot below.

JADURCA

Quote from: reddeercity on December 24, 2017, 06:33:20 AM
@JADURCA this is how to my knowledge arc (viva A.E.) works -- it save changes to the first dng then applies the changes to the rest of your video file or image sequence (e.g. Tiff , PNG , MOV. etc...) I just check your dng's and there no problem with camera raw profiles , all where there to be selected . Test on Win 7 Pro With CS6 After Effects , didn't have 5d3 VisionLOG profile to check only have one for 5d2 . So you want Cdng that are W/B & color corrected from ACR/Camera Raw ? Any reason why ? tiff or PNG not good enough or I'm I missing something here .

It's all about using all the data available with RAW to color correct at it best. So much latitude for intense correction before image breaks, then when finish color correcting I process all images using just .JPEG at 12 quality setting. I once tested and compared image sequences quality pixels using JPEG, Tiff, PNG and even PSD using the same image. Found that there was no difference when using JPEG with all the others regarding pixel quality, just the storage space each one finally takes and performance (JPEG take less Memory from your video editor). JPEG was a clear winner for me, only thing is that if you want to make major adjustments then you better go back to DNG's and make corrections using ACR and process again.

Here's an footage (where it was possible to recover the sky details and three guys there where almots dark) from a music video project I'm working right now. Workflow: MLV, Extracted using MLV App, DNG's color corrected using (VisionLOG profile) with ACR, saved using JPEG 8-bit 12 quality setting and final rendering using H.264 with Sony Vegas.

https://we.tl/jF2BvBW0DV

escho

ilia3101

@reddeercity A tip for getting better results in MLV App: use profile "tonemapped" - I can see there is some harsh clipping in the image you posted, on his hat for example. Makes it look like it was shot on a Sony.
@masc What do you think of making it default profile? I think it looks better on 97% of images. (Edit: didn't we already do this? Default seems to be standard for me on every version I open so I might be going insane)

masc

Quote from: Ilia3101 on January 01, 2018, 12:37:23 PM
@masc What do you think of making it default profile? I think it looks better on 97% of images. (Edit: didn't we already do this? Default seems to be standard for me on every version I open so I might be going insane)
Tonmapped is the default profile. You'll see when importing a file.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Ah nevermind :D Remembered couple minutes after I wrote the post (thought it was a sierra bug at one point). Going to be using the app a lot today.

bouncyball

@escho: :D

@masc: can't you really get realtime playback in mlrawviewer? I can get realtime+ at 3k w/o problem (windows, linux, never tried it on mac) on all of my available PCs/NBs. Bilinear is always realtime, amaze is CPU (same as in mlv app), hence lags quite a bit.

bb