MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncyball

I was right. LJ92 encoder loops forever and causes buffer overflow (writes outside of buffer). I also used vanilla Baldand's encoder (we are using encoder modified a bit by g3gg0) and the same thing's happened.

For some, not known by me, reason LJ92 encoder does not like the 16bit raw data produced by dual iso processor and can not encode it properly and unfortunately I can not fix this.

This does not apply to all dualiso processed raw, because I have some dualiso footage recorded by me which encodes normally. @masc: u know this :).

@Doofii: 2 questions:

1. Do you have some other dual iso MLVs with the same issue, other scene (more light), other resolution, no high (50/60) frame rate? Give the sample.
2. Do you experience issues when exporting lossless dngs for no dual iso MLVs? If yes please give the sample.

On the other hand this is not the end of the world because you can export uncompressed DNGs and they are healthy.

bb

Doofii

I tried various combinations of dual iso/resolution/frame rates, but none of them crashed till present moment. Probably the file I uploaded was just exceptional.

Doofii

Another clip I shot in the same palace

Same camera settings, same export settings, weird...

bouncyball

Yes I guess it is exceptional. Nice to have one for testing :)

Second crashed on 54% that means something is wrong with middle frame(s). Please upload these example too. Thx in advance.

Meanwhile, despite I really can not fix this issue in the Baldand's jungle ;) I'll try to handle this exception gracefully without a crash (still needs to dig to lj92 code but I can handle this without touching main algorithm)

bb

canneloni

Had a similar problem with a specific configuration with the 100d once. I used fps overeride and 10bit lossless and it crahed. When i processed the file with mlv_dump on steroids i saw there was a frame missing somewhere in the middle, like frame 333 jumped to 335.

Maybe its the same here?
100D.100B ; Canon 18-55 STM ; Canon 50 1,8 II ; Canon 75-300 4,0 - 5,6 III ; Sigma 17-50 2,8

bouncyball

When I'm gonna have the original MLV will be able to tell what the actual reason is :)

Doofii

It seems that the APP crashes when it's exporting the 161st frame. I processed the file with mlv_dump then, but found no frame missed.
Can you give me some code so that I can upload, for example, 160-162 frame?

OlegK

I also noticed sometimes if you copy and paste attributes to another clip, it could stop playing the file at some point, when you bounce this file it bounce just the part that was playing not whole clip.

I am on Mac Sierra 10.12.6.

QTv0.12alpha

masc

Quote from: OlegK on December 11, 2017, 04:03:26 PM
I also noticed sometimes if you copy and paste attributes to another clip, it could stop playing the file at some point, when you bounce this file it bounce just the part that was playing not whole clip.
Haha, sure... the cutIn/cutOut is also in the receipt. So if you copy from a shorter clip, you paste the shorter cutOut. Will think about that...
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

@Doofii

mlv_dump -f 150-170 -o middle_part.mlv your_input.mlv

20 frames would be eanough.

OlegK

Let me check!

Also when I trying import MLV files mouse freeze only arrows works, the same in previous build.

OlegK

Also something weird in MLV App the bokeh looks chopped, with color fringing, None of this in Footage app.

I tried my best with chroma slier  but cannot make it smooth like in Footage app.

Maybe you can add some sliders to correct this issue?
Thanks!

masc

You can't compare Footage, because this is completely different processing. As I understood Footage uses Apple Standard Functions / Libraries which only work on Mac (not cross platform) and which don't work with all Cameras. My 5D2 did not work at all at Footage. It may be that Apple Functions are here and there better (Apple is a little bigger than us three hobby developpers). In the end, nobody knows what Apple exactly did in this processing functions, so we can't just copy it. If you know a algorithm (best in C/C++) let us know and we add it if we can.

Quote from: OlegK on December 11, 2017, 05:30:24 PM
Also when I trying import MLV files mouse freeze only arrows works, the same in previous build.
It needs some time to parse the GigaBytes... quite normal. But we are working on another solution here.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

OlegK

Quote from: masc on December 11, 2017, 06:15:07 PM
You can't compare Footage, because this is completely different processing. As I understood Footage uses Apple Standard Functions / Libraries which only work on Mac (not cross platform) and which don't work with all Cameras. My 5D2 did not work at all at Footage. It may be that Apple Functions are here and there better (Apple is a little bigger than us three hobby developpers). In the end, nobody knows what Apple exactly did in this processing functions, so we can't just copy it. If you know a algorithm (best in C/C++) let us know and we add it if we can.
ok got it. Can you do something in your program to improve it?
Thanks!

bouncyball

@Doofii: thank you :)

@OlegK: personally I prefer amaze version of your samples. It is a LOT sharper! With lots of details. Even martinherring himself says that apple raw engine in not up to the task as he would desire and wants to replace it by something more robust.

Apple example has more saturation and I'm sure has applied the canon matrix to raw color. That's it.

You could just blur the amaze version and would get your smoother anamorphic bokeh ;)

bouncyball

@Doofii

I exported your mlv w/o a problem. It seems that all frame are healthy. Maybe other frame is corrupted.

masc

@bouncyball: you remember my mlv file with missing frames I sent you? When exporting this file (lossless cdng), the missing frames end in strange corrupted dngs. Maybe on other systems this could also lead to a crash - who knows.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

erikbaldwinson

When exporting 14bit lossless in MLV.App.v0.12.alpha.Win64.static every few seconds a frame is black. This is not the case in Resolve?

masc

A reason may be that the frames in your MLV are not in the right order. In v0.12 we did not care about this yet, what could result in black frames. Some days ago bouncyball fixed that by replacing the false frames in the right order. This will come with the next release.
With this few information you gave, I don't know if it is really this reason. Best is, if you upload some seconds of your MLV (the seconds where you get the problems), so we can debug.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

erikbaldwinson

Quote from: masc on December 14, 2017, 09:18:01 PM
A reason may be that the frames in your MLV are not in the right order. In v0.12 we did not care about this yet, what could result in black frames. Some days ago bouncyball fixed that by replacing the false frames in the right order. This will come with the next release.
With this few information you gave, I don't know if it is really this reason. Best is, if you upload some seconds of your MLV (the seconds where you get the problems), so we can debug.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eU2t2cCUMTy6fXudJ3F-QCUMTIsXrpzz

bouncyball

I've taken a look at your mlv (investigated with mlv_dump, it is healthy), with latest mlv app there are none of black or corrupted frames. The issue was what @masc said. Please wait for next release, use other tools for now.

erikbaldwinson

Quote from: bouncyball on December 15, 2017, 12:12:39 PM
I've taken a look at your mlv (investigated with mlv_dump, it is healthy), with latest mlv app there are none of black or corrupted frames. The issue was what @masc said. Please wait for next release, use other tools for now.

Thx! I used resolve with MLVFS and the results look better than the pro-res 444 output with bilinear. Maybe the Amaze option is better? I saw the bokeh problem and thought to use Bilinear.

masc

Quote from: erikbaldwinson on December 16, 2017, 08:45:01 PM
Thx! I used resolve with MLVFS and the results look better than the pro-res 444 output with bilinear. Maybe the Amaze option is better? I saw the bokeh problem and thought to use Bilinear.
You can't say that any way is better than another before having seen the result of the special clip. I also did many tests with bokeh clips (using my lenses), but had never an issue as OlegK - not with Resolve, not with bilinear and not with AMaZE. Watch each result and than decide which fits best for the clip! ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202