MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Quote from: bouncyball on August 20, 2017, 07:17:28 PM
@mascI forgot that in addition to 'fseek' there are lots of 'ftell' used in 'video_mlv.c'. And of course they also should be replaced by 'ftello64' for mingw :P.

I have to test this code also for Linux (if it works for Linux it should work on Mac without change) and then I will push changes to repo (thanx to Ilia, he gave me access).

Perfect! Thx! :-)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

escho

I wrote for me a little step by step howto for running MLV-App under Linux. I share it with you, but it´s in German:
https://seescho.wordpress.com/fotos/ml/
Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

masc

@Edgar: na das triffts doch ganz gut! ;) I always wanted to write that, and I even should do that. Some remarks:
1.: The app does not search for ffmpeg. I told the app, it is located exactly next to the executable, because on Win&OSX this was the easiest to do. So for Linux, if the location is anywhere else, we can add this special path.
2.: MLV App does not only need ffmpeg. It also needs libpng 1.6 and zlib. Otherwise it won't compile. On Win&OSX this was the most difficult part (at least for me).
3.: The histogram thing: I even think it is not wrong, I wrote it some messages above. There is just this peak in the very left (that is the black in your picture)... but if anyone has an idea how to cut peaks without making the histogram to flat... pleeeaaase tell me... this problem drives me crazy!  :P ;D

Anyway... thanks for this very good installation manual! I like it :)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: bouncyball on August 20, 2017, 12:17:37 PM
Hey guys patched - frame number not reported correctly for 2GB+ MLVs in the info dialog.

Download 32bit and 64bit versions again.

Both 32/64bit versions should hopefully work for everyone now ;)

Tested the 32bit version emulated in Wine on OSX without problems Could also open a 2.3GB file.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Ottoga

@bouncyball

This is the first time that I have ever downloaded and tried the app so I wasn't doing any serious testing. I really just wanted to confirm that the versions that you provided the links for were working.

The actual file only had a few hundred frames captured when testing the 10/12bit raw recording on my 7D as I didn't have access to anything larger on the night.

Playing around with it tonight and it seems to be handling spanned files >4gb without any problems.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

andy kh

wow this programs is so good. thank you bouncyball,masc and Ilia for making such a wonderful app
5D Mark III - 70D

Wayne H

Terrific Progress guy's, amazing work, quick question though.... anyone know how to batch import?? i can only seem to import one clip at a time, or am i missing something???????

masc

Quote from: Wayne H on August 21, 2017, 05:26:43 PM
Terrific Progress guy's, amazing work, quick question though.... anyone know how to batch import?? i can only seem to import one clip at a time, or am i missing something???????
I am not sure, if the latest version we uploaded as binary had already a filedialog for multiple files. Are you on Windows or OSX?
Windows: take the version from bouncyball, that should be new enough, select as many files you want in the dialog.
OSX: if it is new enough, try the same. If that does not work: select the files in Finder and chose "Open with..." -> MLV App.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

andy kh

Quote from: Wayne H on August 21, 2017, 05:26:43 PM
anyone know how to batch import?? i can only seem to import one clip at a time, or am i missing something???????

i can import as many as i want. btw im on windows 7 64bit
5D Mark III - 70D

Wayne H

Hi Masc, i'm on MacOS, i'm currently using the 0.5 alpha version.. the latest version on the download page, just tried finder to select multiple MVLs to import, but when i go to "open with", the MLV app is grey'd out and won't let me select it, to open with, guess i'll wait for the app to be updated, again fantastic work, thanks.

masc

Quote from: Wayne H on August 21, 2017, 07:46:40 PM
Hi Masc, i'm on MacOS, i'm currently using the 0.5 alpha version.. the latest version on the download page, just tried finder to select multiple MVLs to import, but when i go to "open with", the MLV app is grey'd out and won't let me select it, to open with, guess i'll wait for the app to be updated, again fantastic work, thanks.
Yes, I have that on Mavericks too, on El Capitan it works for me, whyever. There is a option "Show only recommended" or something like that (have never seen the english version ;) ), and when you uncheck that, it also works on Mavericks.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Wayne H

Hi Masc, PERFECT. Just unchecked recommended apps, to ALL apps (MAC SIERRA)... and all MLV's loaded straight into MLV app. Thanks for feedback, really appreciate it. GREAT APP  :)

Ottoga

I tested an MLV clip with sound last night. w10 64bit version.

Video exported fine, however there is no sound and/or no separate audio file created.

When reviewing the app preferences Export Audio is ticked but greyed out.

EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

masc

Quote from: Ottoga on August 22, 2017, 04:10:38 AM
I tested an MLV clip with sound last night. w10 64bit version.

Video exported fine, however there is no sound and/or no separate audio file created.

When reviewing the app preferences Export Audio is ticked but greyed out.
Audio is not implemented, that is the reason why it is still greyed out. Ilia wants to implement audio read out, I also wait for that :)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Wow! Finally it works :D for 2GB+ files thanks for feedback guys.

@masc: I pushed my latest stuff to repo. I think you'll appreciate commit 1aadb46 ;)

bouncyball

Btw I noticed that FPS, while playing MLV, differs for Win and Linux builds (no matter 32 or 64 bit):

Win ~7-10 fps
Linux ~15-18 fps (even 20 sometimes)

Tested on the same PC with the same hardware and MLV files.

ilia3101

Thanks a lot @escho, I've added it to first post.

@bouncyball I know two potential causes for slowness:
Linux kernel can be up to ~40-50% better in cpu performance than Windows (I know this from the Blender world)
(More likely) The UI widget/component used by Qt in Linux is more efficient than the one used in windows, as I noticed on Cocoa version, the NSImageView widget refreshes much faster when the window is small - it seems to be the main bottle neck for Mac.

@masc I see you added mlv dump sources to the repository. I will try and implement them, although some of them will probably need to be moved from src/processing to src/mlv, as they work mostly with bayer data, not RGB which the processing module does.
Caching rewrite still on the list :( ugh
I'm back and more stuff is coming.

We also need a really nice icon.

bouncyball

Quote from: Ilia3101 on August 22, 2017, 07:03:15 PM
I know two potential causes for slowness
Yes I also thought about the same two reasons you mentioned.

The icon refresh would be very nice :).

masc

Quote from: bouncyball on August 22, 2017, 06:10:23 PM
Btw I noticed that FPS, while playing MLV, differs for Win and Linux builds (no matter 32 or 64 bit):

Win ~7-10 fps
Linux ~15-18 fps (even 20 sometimes)

Tested on the same PC with the same hardware and MLV files.
Haha... with Windows it is so slow... yes, I have seen that too, so I am not alone:
- Win 8.1 Pro [email protected] (PC from 2013): 10 fps
- OSX 10.9 Core2Duo 2.4 GHz (MBP 2010): 10 fps
- OSX 10.10 i5 2.5 GHz (iMac 2011): 17 fps :)

Quote from: bouncyball on August 22, 2017, 05:03:52 PM
@masc: I pushed my latest stuff to repo. I think you'll appreciate commit 1aadb46 ;)
I'll check that out this evening!

Quote from: Ilia3101 on August 22, 2017, 07:03:15 PM
@masc I see you added mlv dump sources to the repository. I will try and implement them, although some of them will probably need to be moved from src/processing to src/mlv, as they work mostly with bayer data, not RGB which the processing module does.
Caching rewrite still on the list :( ugh
I'm back and more stuff is coming.

We also need a really nice icon.
Oh yes! A nice icon would be cool. I just created this ugly thing for having anything... but I don't like it!

I added the mlv dump sources because I was playing around. I tried to add chroma smoothing, but without luck. Maybe I did not call it at the right step. When do we have to call it? I thought before the debayering when I understood the code and the comments right. Is that right? But it works with integer and Ilia implemented float. Is that a problem?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

@Ilia3101, @masc

Quote from: masc on August 22, 2017, 08:31:46 PM
When do we have to call it? I thought before the debayering when I understood the code and the comments right. Is that right? But it works with integer and Ilia implemented float. Is that a problem?
All processing routines, the original MLVFS/cr2hdr ones or the ones added/modified by me, work only on RAW bayer data. It's all done on any bit raw unpacked to uint16_t image buffers. I have to take closer look at Ilia's implementation before debayer. I think he also unpacks raw bits to 16bit and there won't be a problem, just performance/fps penalty of processing, bad pixels/focus pixels/stripes are less heavy, chroma smooth and pattern noise are slower.

bb

masc

@bouncyball:
I think anywhere in the near of getMlvRawFrameFloat() in video_mlv.c would be right then (or where this one gets called).

Cool stuff at the repos! I made a new release and counted up to v0.6 alpha. Would you please compile and upload the windows version(s)?
https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/releases/tag/QTv0.6alpha

@all:
New in v0.6 alpha:
- Bugfixes for >2GB file support on Windows
- Changed histogram algorithm (cuts peaks at very low and high end, and is something between linear and log now) @escho & @DeafEyeJedi: please try out if shows better would you like to see
- Preview pictures in sessions (list mode and picture mode)
- Scrolling and dragging support at 100% zoom in picture viewer
- Small bugfixes
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

escho

Newest version works fine hier in Linux. And for compiing in QT Creator there is only one pass needed now. Great.

The histogramm of Mars is now OK. I uploaded a comparition between MLV App and darktable on my website: https://seescho.wordpress.com/fotos/ml/

I will change my howto later. Nice to found the link on the first post of this Tread :)  I think, I will add some english text into the howto.

btw. What is this for in MLVApp.pro?

#Linux
linux-g++*: INCLUDEPATH += /usr/local/include/
linux-g++*: LIBS += -L/usr/local/lib/ -lz -lpng

/usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib are empty on my system.

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

bouncyball

Quote from: escho on August 23, 2017, 11:12:43 AM
#Linux

And where are compiled libpng16 and zlib1 in your case?

masc

Quote from: escho on August 23, 2017, 11:12:43 AM
The histogramm of Mars is now OK. I uploaded a comparition between MLV App and darktable on my website: https://seescho.wordpress.com/fotos/ml/

btw. What is this for in MLVApp.pro?

#Linux

Edgar
Hey cool... the simple trick seems to work in the histogram.

How can you compile when that is empty? That's strange.  In the repos under platform/qt/ there is a folder: libpng. Here you find the source for this library - unpack, compile and install. Zlib should work if you install the dev version with apt-get or whatever you use. If not, you can download this in the internet, compile and install.

Quote from: bouncyball on August 23, 2017, 10:48:31 AM
Done :)
Thanks!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202