MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bouncyball

@masc

The solution I always use is:

uint32_t file_set_pos(FILE *stream, uint64_t offset, int whence)
{
#if defined(__WIN32)
    return fseeko64(stream, offset, whence);
#else
    return fseeko(stream, offset, whence);
#endif
}

I forgot to mention that in addition to
"win32: QMAKE_CFLAGS_DEBUG += -msse2 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"
fseeko64 should be used for mingw32. So change all fseek to fseeko64 or use the universal routine posted above.

bb

bouncyball

@mario1000

Quote from: mario1000 on August 18, 2017, 09:59:16 AM
I would like to try this version, but after start an error message appears: "This application fails to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows" in "". Reinstallating the application may fix this problem."
Ah yes windows platform plugin for QT was missing.
Download the MLV App again.
Now it runs on my testing clean Windows 7 x64.

masc

Now I ask, if I test with currupted files :( But i get them opened in other apps/tools, and they open on OSX.

I get your version opened now, but it crashes on open a big mlv in the same way as my 32 bit build does. Same for fseeko64.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Hmm... what can I say I'm lost :) Let's wait for others to test it and report.

Just opened two, 4.1 and 4.2 GB, files and play them w/o a problem (on win10 x64).
Regarding my suggestion of fseeko64, will try today with win32 enviroment.

ilia3101

I'll add the screenshot later today.
@bouncyball if you want, I can add you with commit ability to the github repository if you have an account. Might speed up little things like getting the big files working.
Linux screenshot looks good, maybe I can switch to Linux sooner now :)
Also why does fseeko and fseeko64 exist? How are they different from fseek?

bouncyball

Quote from: Ilia3101 on August 18, 2017, 11:27:55 AM
@bouncyball if you want, I can add you with commit ability to the github repository if you have an account. Might speed up little things like getting the big files working.
Would be very nice thank you.

Linux screenshot looks good, maybe I can switch to Linux sooner now :)
:)

Also why does fseeko and fseeko64 exist? How are they different from fseek?
difference between fseek and fseeko is the offset type. fseeko offset type is "off_t" and fseek offset type is "long".
fseeko64 addresses 64bit offsets (>2GB files) for 32bit platforms.

bb

bouncyball

@masc:

Please try this 32bit build (fseeko64).
It opens >2gb files here on windows 10 x64.

And here is a source from which I built it.

Ottoga

Hi

Just some feedback

I tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the app today on a W10 Professional Notebook.

Unfortunately I get the following error on both versions:

"This application fails to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows" in "". Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

After acknowledging the error message I get the following (which is probably normal due to the original error):

Runtime Error!

[Path]/MLVP App.exe

The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Cheers
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

bouncyball

I tested both 64 and 32 bit versions on 3 machines. My work pc win 10, My notebook win10 clean install where QT was not installed ever and win 7 x64 virtual machine clean install.

@Ottoga: You mightbe downloaded 64 bit version from earlier post. Because it works here. However you are right about 32 bit one. qwindows.dll was from older QT version.

Now both checked, updated and are working on all my PCs and VMs with 2GB+ file support _flawlessly!_

Download 32bit and 64bit versions again.

And if someone says it's not working again I'm not gonna believe him in no way :P

DanHaag

Tried the latest native Mac version with new MLV footage I shot about a week ago. Now it works! The best standalone MLV/MLraw app I've ever used! Great work, thank you so much!  8) :)

Will keep using it and report here in case of any issues but so far (except for the known resizing UI bug) I didn't run into any further problems.

reddeercity

Quote from: bouncyball on August 18, 2017, 02:42:11 PM
And if someone says it's not working again I'm not gonna believe him in no way :P
@bouncyball --Really ! that very arrogant of you!! >:(
I just tested it on Win7 Pro Workstation (8core fx8350 , 8GB ram , ssd OS, 8TB raid0 , dual gpu's (gtx580)
I can confirm It Crashes on 32bit version on 4 GB or bigger
from this link http://nic.caucasus.net/mlvapp/?dir=&download=MLV_App_x86.zip

The file is 4 GB 14bit 1920x960 from my 5D Mark ii , open fine with MLVProducer & MLVFS PC(version) It is a spanning file

Same file in MLVProducer

I did try a 3.2 GB file and it open up in this app , I would say that there no Spanning file support --of course as All digic 4 cam don't support exfat.
So something is broken it need to be fixed.

I did notice that the image in the preview is really blown out

Same file in mlvproducer with default setting no adjustments (adobe RGB color space)

If I'm not mistaken this app uses either sRGB or rec709 color space right ?
to match mlvproducer I have to drop the exposure down to negative -3.5 to get correct exposure
so there something going on that's blowing out the image in MLV app.
Maybe a decoding problem ? or reading wrong metadata ? just a thought .

ilia3101

@reddeercity
The colour space, while not properly managed yet is treated as sRGB (by default), by the PNG library... Most likely, im certain that's the case on Mac version and probably same is true for the PNG library used in Qt version. So yes, it is sRGB, however ffmpeg which is currently used probably adapts it to rec 709 (which as you know only differs in gamma curve)
It should look the same throughout the process.
But I'm still going to try and add some more colour space stuff in to the app, it's all much clearer to me now.

Also, the overexposure is supposed to be there, we lie by +1.2 stops when it is set to 0. You do good ettr I guess, so for you it seems really overexposed, but for normally (badly) exposed shots it is only a tiny bit bright.

Did you try 64bit version though?

@DanHaag in my opinion at this moment the Qt GUI is a lot better for real world usage, it has more features, so at this moment I recommend using that, however cocoa GUI should eventually catch up on features and get AVFoundation export, which will make it worth using.

@bouncyball just tell me your github account name if/when you have one.

bouncyball

@Ilia3101
Quote from: Ilia3101 on August 19, 2017, 09:35:58 AM
@bouncyball just tell me your github account name if/when you have one.
My username is bouncyball-git

@reddeercity
Quote from: Ilia3101 on August 19, 2017, 09:35:58 AM
Did you try 64bit version though?
? same question.

Spanning file could be reason though, will check.

snipeua

Good day!
I have the same problems as reddeercity on both 32 and 64 bit versions (Windows 7 64bit). The application crashes on every spanning files larger than 3 GB.

bouncyball

@snipeua

Hi, thank you for feedback. I'm just curious it crashes when you import spanning MLV or after, when you export final video?

And would be very nice if you'll also try to test with some standalone ~2.5-3.5GB MLV (not the part of spanning MLV files) and report back.

regards
bb

ilia3101

O yeah, it still needs spanning support.

@bouncyball I've added you on github invite link that github gave

escho

Succeeded to run it under Linux. A first feedback:

1. Exporting to prores results in png. The number of pngs is correct, but the progress bar stops at 50%.
2. I see nothing in histogramm, looking at a small object like the planet mars. Histogramm of the big moon looks fine:
   Histogramm mars: https://seescho.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/mars1.jpg
   Histogramm moon: https://seescho.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/mond.jpg

Tomorrow I will do same more tests.

Very nice app!

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Ottoga

@bounceyball

Both versions working fine with a small sample file. I don't have anything larger than 4gb anyway so I wouldn't have picked up reddeercity's error.

One option that would be really useful would be a button to reset the sliders back to their default settings.

A couple of questions if I may:

• Edit settings are not captured at the clip level - is this intentional?
  • We can choose which codec  to export in and whether to include sound or not. What is the default export frame rate and can this be turned into a user definable parameter?

Cheers
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

bouncyball

@Ilia3101: Thank you, I really appreciate it!

@escho
Quote from: escho on August 19, 2017, 11:12:27 PM
1. Exporting to prores results in png. The number of pngs is correct, but the progress bar stops at 50%.
You gotta put ffmpeg binary to the same dir as MLV App and it's gonna pass the 50% :) (will encode to MOV and then delete PNGs)

@Ottoga: Thank you, can you be more specific about "small sample file". What was exact size, b/c MLVs less then 2GB were working from the beginning.

escho

Quote from: bouncyball on August 20, 2017, 10:15:43 AM

@eschoYou gotta put ffmpeg binary to the same dir as MLV App and it's gonna pass the 50% :) (will encode to MOV and then delete PNGs)

Got it. Thankyou!
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

bouncyball

Hey guys patched - frame number not reported correctly for 2GB+ MLVs in the info dialog.

Download 32bit and 64bit versions again.

Both 32/64bit versions should hopefully work for everyone now ;)

EDIT: just converted 6.87GB MLV from 0 to the last 2025th frame :)

@Ilia3101, @masc
Intermediate PNG export is a huuuge waste of space, for 1920x1080 one PNG frame is ~10MB (imagine size for 3K). Had to free some space on my SSD to make this export.

bb

snipeua

@bouncyball
Hi, it crashes in first stage when i import spanning MLV.

UPDATE: New version still crashes - nothing change.

masc

Woooow, 2 days off and so much feedback. Thank you guys.

@Bouncyball: I'm sorry, I won't see a Windows PC for the next 4 weeks, so I hope other members of the forum will test and help to get feedback until then.

Somebody was asking for resetting the sliders: Menu -> Edit -> Reset receipt does the job.

@reddeercity: you think the exposure is wrong in MLV App? I always thought it is wrong in MlRawViewer and MLVProducer, because when opening any of my clips there I always get a "near to black" image, and I start seeing anything when doing something like exposure +3EV - then it looks near to what I saw on my camera. I don't have that problem when opening files in Resolve. But if I am right, we don't use metadata for processing, so it may be wrong... don't know what Ilia says about...

Quote from: bouncyball on August 20, 2017, 12:17:37 PM
@Ilia3101, @masc
Intermediate PNG export is a huuuge waste of space, for 1920x1080 one PNG frame is ~10MB (imagine size for 3K). Had to free some space on my SSD to make this export.

Yes, you're right, I know. I already tried to get the ffmpeg library working... but... after some days I gave up. I did not understand that library interface - it is really huge. But if you know how to do that, we could try another time. That should be faster and consume a lot less temp memory. And that would be much more elegant.

And... what did you change for your last upload? :)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: escho on August 19, 2017, 11:12:27 PM
Succeeded to run it under Linux. A first feedback:
2. I see nothing in histogramm, looking at a small object like the planet mars. Histogramm of the big moon looks fine:
   Histogramm mars: https://seescho.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/mars1.jpg
   Histogramm moon: https://seescho.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/mond.jpg
Edgar
Thanks for testing on Linux! I think the histograms are both right. The picture with the mars is really dark, so the black in the histogram is so huge, that you nearly can't see the rest. Atm we are anywhere between linear and log scaling on the y axis. Log would be good for pics like that, but "normal" pictures would result in a line. Linear is good for normal pics but if there is a peak, you'll see only the peak.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

Quote from: snipeua on August 20, 2017, 04:58:23 PM
UPDATE: New version still crashes - nothing change.
Oh man... I can't believe this :D, then I guess it really depends on footage, I tried mostly 1080p/14bit/Uncompressed, any file size works here (on my four windows systems).

@snipeua:
Please tell us which:
1. Windows version you used;
2. MLV App version you used (32bit or 64bit);
3. What hardware you used;
4. Would be very nice if you upload exact MLV file which causes crash, please do it and I will test it asap.
Thank you in advance.

@masc
Quote from: masc on August 20, 2017, 05:45:55 PM
And... what did you change for your last upload? :)
I saw that if file size is more than 2GB, info dialog always shows 591 or 592 frames. Then I remember that in addition to 'fseek' there are lots of 'ftell' used in 'video_mlv.c'. And of course they also should be replaced by 'ftello64' for mingw :P. That's what I changed last time and now info panel shows correct frame count.

I have to test this code also for Linux (if it works for Linux it should work on Mac without change) and then I will push changes to repo (thanx to Ilia, he gave me access).

bb