MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddeercity

Yea No Joy with that release , GUI fires up but crash when loading the same mlv files from before. The crossplatform MLV-App (Qt) version works on my mp5.1 on sierra 10.12.5 but not other ones , I'll try may mbp on Yosemite and report back .

reddeercity

Quote from: masc on July 21, 2017, 12:05:41 PM
I found it and updated the version on git. Some .dlls were missing...
Great thanks --GUI fires up but crashes on loading mlv file , the same one i've being testing in the previous posts with my mac

reddeercity

Testing on MBP Early 2011 Yosemite 10.10.5 , i7 , 8GB ram, GPU : Intel HD Graphics 4000
Version:MVP APP (Jul21 2017 19:56:17 @llia-EliteBook-2560p.local) White level Fix
Same thing pink hi lights with that special white level build . There no problem with the white level it's at 15000
as per the info from terminal as this app open up .

MLV Info
MLV Version: v2.0
      File Blocks: 728
etc. ......
RAW Info
       Black Level: 1791
      White Level: 15000
     Bits / Pixel: 14

Notice that the slider for adjustment did not register any number change for "1" see image below

If i load the version: (MLV APP Jul 19 2017 19:15:46 @ilias-iMAC.home) main download with out white level fix the screen is black after i load the same mlv file  see below image

hope this helps .

ilia3101

@reddeercity thanks for testing, now I know that my RAW processing is not that great yet :D, still need to learn how proper highlight handling works :(, the reason the old version didn't work at all for you was not to do with white level, but rather the way I did GUI redrawing, so good to know I've fixed the GUI that didn't work on some systems before.

Don't worry about it not registering the numerical value on the sliders, I'll fix that soon, it does not affect processing, simply not linked up the text with the value yet.

Genuine question: Does anyone have any knowledge about how to fix pink highlights? What kind of algorithm is needed?

Danne

Are they blown highlights? Dcraw get pinks when rebuilding blown highlights. I couldn't test this because the app closes upon selecting a mlv file. Mac os sierra 12.3.

ilia3101

Quote from: Danne on July 22, 2017, 03:41:10 PM
Are they blown highlights?
Yes, they are blown highlights, but as reddeeercity said, pretty much every other piece of software showed less pink highlights, ACR, resolve, even footage. I have seen pink highlights in all of those softwares before, but it seems mine is particularly bad, so I'm wondering if there's an obvious/well known way of fixing them.
Dcraw get pinks when rebuilding blown highlights.
Hmm, mine doesn't rebuild highlights at all, so is there something relatively simple that all raw converters do that I'm not aware of?
I couldn't test this because the app closes upon selecting a mlv file. Mac os sierra 12.3.
Yea that's strange, I sometimes get that, I'm testing on Sierra 10.12.6 and 10.11, the way I've avoided it most of the time is either trying a different file, or opening files with a single click, then pressing open button in the dialog instead of double click, for some reason I've noticed it helps ::)

Danne

I will try some fresh 14bit files later. Thanks for reminder. Good luch on highlights meanwhile. Sorry I couldn't help more on this issue.

DanHaag

I always get a crash with "Segmentation fault: 11" mentioned in the Terminal window. No matter how often I try - it happens with all my MLVs (shot just a couple of month ago). Downloaded the Cocoa Mac app, using it on the latest Sierra 10.12.06.

reddeercity

Are they blown highlights?
Quote from: Ilia3101 on July 22, 2017, 03:49:23 PM
Yes, they are blown highlights .....
No , they are not blown hi light --that was the point of all this
I'll post frames with example of the hi lights thought different app shortly

reddeercity

Ok here we go -- As you can see there's no blown out hi light as seen in your new app.
Top image is from A.E. ACR CS6 Cdng's from Quick-mount with mlvfs on my PC exported as a 16bit Tiff from A.E.ACR

A.E.ACR_M27-1210_00000
by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

Bottom Image is from MLVProducer Exported as  a 16bit Tiff (tried to quickly match the 2 , close  :D )

mlvproducer_M27-1210_00001
by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

I also export a ProRes4444 from A.E.ACR CS6 , if you would like to view locally (about 450MB) 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxNY4d4Aa7KuOTJmcUJlX3VtcVk/view?usp=sharing

and also export a ProRes4444 from MLVProducer , if you would like to view locally (about 450MB)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxNY4d4Aa7KudkdpaVZmOFl1TEE/view?usp=sharing

Here is the Original MLV(M27-1210.MLV) I being test with (1.13GB)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxNY4d4Aa7KuaU5TX0ZQUXVyNkk/view?usp=sharing
hope this helps

reddeercity

Quote from: Ilia3101 on July 22, 2017, 03:49:23 PM
..... but as reddeeercity said, pretty much every other piece of software showed less pink highlights, ACR, resolve, even footage.
No sorry I think you miss understood , I Do Not See any pink Hi lights in those apps at all just in your new app.
I think maybe some how you are clipping the hi lights in the mlv raw decode ? or the conversion  to 8bit color space ?
Just a thought  ;)

ilia3101

Quote from: reddeercity on July 23, 2017, 09:00:42 AM
No sorry I think you miss understood , I Do Not See any pink Hi lights in those apps at all just in your new app.
I think maybe some how you are clipping the hi lights in the mlv raw decode ? or the conversion  to 8bit color space ?
Just a thought  ;)
Ok I completely understand what you are saying now: the clip does not have blown out highlights (according to you)

I decided to investigate a little bit... (thank you for sending the clip)

Here's MLV App handling it:

...not too well

I tried opening it in RawTherapee, and looked like no highlights were blown:

But then I turned off highlight reconstruction, it suddenly showed the highlights had no detail, similar to my app:

However they were not pink like MLV App, but white instead, it is probably doing some kind of equal clipping.

Then I opened it in MLRawViewer, and the highlights looked like this:

The brightest highlights had discolouration, suggesting MLRawViewer is reconstructing them.

Then I looked at highlights in darktable RAW converter:

And results were similar to MLV App.

So I have concluded that the highlights in that video are clipped, but all of your software did a good job of reconstructing them (leading you to believe they were not clipped).
Thank you for starting the whole discussion reddeercity and sending me the clip, so now I can be certain that MLV App needs highlight reconstruction.

... the reason clipped highlights are pink is that green channel clips first.

If anyone has any links to info about how highlight reconstruction works, it would be greatly appreciated, but I think I have an idea of how it could be done.

@DanHaag, unfortunately I can't help at this time specifically, as those errors are hard to track down... especially when someone else is having it,
but that kind of error tends to eventually get resolved over time as the app gets more stable (from my experience).
If you want, you can send an MLV sample that causes problems for you and I can check if it's the file causing problems or not.

DanHaag

That's all right, I'll just try your app again when you've developed it further and report back with more intel in case the error still keeps happening. Thanks for all your work so far btw.!  :)

ilia3101

@reddeercity, ok it turned out basic highlight reconstruction is really easy and even most simple software should do it... New release

How it works:
Program checks if highest possible green value is below white (65535), and if it is, every green value that high will be replaced by an average of that pixel's red and blue channel.

Comparison gif:

@DanHaag cheers

masc

I also added Ilias Highlight Reconstruction (for me that works really good!) to the Qt GUI. I deleted the BMP, JPG and PNG export but added a ProRes 4444 export (8 bit atm, we are working on more... ;) ).

https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/releases/tag/QTv0.2alpha

Windows port comes in the next days (I hope).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Nice!

Just tested it though, and got this:

I highlighted what I guess must have been the error ::) Seems to be a forgotten DLL or something (Got the same error on 10.11.6 and 10.12.6)

Now it's time to make the Cocoa GUI catch up to the Qt one :D still needs to : get native Apple video export working and add a play button.

A small request to people with other cameras:
My 5D mark II does not have 720p or high framerate mode, so could someone please send a sample file shot in 50/60p or 720p in Canon menu,
I want to get 1.66x desqueezing working for mv720/3x5, but first I need to know what the headers in those files say, and of course an mlv file to test on.

Thanks  ;)

masc

:( Sry for that, but QtWidgets is in the package, so I don't understand that. I compiled it on OSX 10.9 today. I'll search for a solution.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Okay friends... new try! I uploaded it again, on my other mac with OSX 10.11 it runs now (had the same problem before).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Niiiiiice - works now!

Still looking for a high framerate/720p sample ;) ...anyone?

masc

When you say high framerate... in the QtGui the ProRes export is forced to 25fps at the moment. But will work on that as well. If someone has a highspeed sample, I would be interested too!
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

reddeercity

@Ilia3101 Yes I can confirm on Yosemite 10.10.5 , no more pink hi lights  ;D

pc_bel

QuoteStill looking for a high framerate/720p sample ;) ...anyone?

Just sent by Wetransfer via PM.

By the way. I can't open any mlv in your APP. Every time I try, APP crashes. I'm using v0.2 alpha (Cross platform version) on Windows 10.

masc

Quote from: pc_bel on July 25, 2017, 04:02:23 PM
By the way. I can't open any mlv in your APP. Every time I try, APP crashes. I'm using v0.2 alpha (Cross platform version) on Windows 10.

Thanks for trying it out and giving a feedback! I have the same problem for nearly all my mlv files. The maximal file size I got opened was about 200MB. We did not yet figure out why it crashes on windows.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

pc_bel

@masc
Oh! sorry!!!.. You are the developer for the windows version... I thought was Ilia3101...
I'm waiting for an app to review mlv files without to need to convert to dng (I don't know why but can't make working MLVFS), so your app is my main hope!

ilia3101

@pc_bel Thank you very much for the sample! I already got one from Danne, but having different ones is very important, so thanks a lot
I'm sorry... I hope the Windows issue gets sorted out soon, me and masc are having some DMs about it today, we may be close to finding the cause.

@masc, I'm sorry for not testing MLV App v0.2 yet (despite saying I'd do so this morning)... The laptop I used before has been stuck on Configuring Windows Updates 35% for hours :'( not sure what to do.

@reddeercity good ;)