MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Could you upload examples from another nle that you manage to match better? Also describe in what way colors are wrong? I am curious that's all.

ilia3101

Interested to see. Also if you coul provide one or two MLV files for testing I would be very happy. There will be more progress on the colour very soon. I have decided to scrap BetterProcessing branch and do things more incrementally. Slow and steady (but not that slow).

Improvements cuming very soon.

Naviddabest

Hi guys. I just wanted to ask if there is a way to convert mlv raw to a format that has hdr video or like uses the rec2020 colour space

ilia3101

What kind of HDR video type do you want? hybrid log gamma? I can add that if you want. Gamut selection is coming (Rec2020 will be there).

DavidP

How about these Ilia?

I included a colour chart shot on my ursa and another shot on the 5d mk iii. Both under the same Aputure 300d light with no modifiers so should be close to 5500k. p.s the Magic lantern raw is saved as uncompressed dng but I saved the Ursa footage as Blackmagicraw 5:1

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1660I8zaLNm5BmSPwpKI9lr6c3emW5RnY?usp=sharing

I still can't match them exactly :( The issue is telling resolve what colour gammut the mk iii has.

ilia3101

Thank you!

Quote from: DavidP on August 16, 2019, 07:59:14 PM
I still can't match them exactly :( The issue is telling resolve what colour gammut the mk iii has.

About telling resolve what gamut mkiii has... is that when you are importing it as DNG in to resolve?

MLV App is getting a few upgrades soon, I will try my best to find info about and add blackmagic sensor gamuts as options, so you can simulate prores from the blackmagic almost 1:1 in terms of colour.

DavidP

No problem, anything else I can do just let me know! I also have an a7sii if its any help.

So yes when I import as a prores file with any combo of settings to Resolve I can obviously choose rec709 or Blackmagic Design but I doubt its really accurate? When I then use Resolves colour transform tool it's not even close to matching skintones from those settings. Maybe if there was a way to have prores render it as accurate 5d mk iii to rec709 or bmfilm conversion? I did also try just importing the dngs and no cigar. I can actually match it with lots of qualifying nodes but would be great if we could get an accurate prores export so Resolves transform tool could get accurate base colour for conversions :)

DavidP

Dmytro_ua

Quote from: DavidP on August 16, 2019, 09:48:26 PM
Just to show it is possible

The first one looks much better. In the second one I don't like the transition between the main skin color and a green tint on the right side.
5d3 1.2.3 | Canon 16-35 4.0L | Canon 50 1.4 | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro
Ronin-S | Feelworld F6 PLUS

ilia3101

Quote from: DavidP on August 16, 2019, 09:48:26 PM
Just to show it is possible:
Graded to match but it is via individual color adjustments.

Thanks for that, both look very nice. I think the second one does have a very little tinge of green in some areas of her face though (as Dymotro pointed out).

Was the BlackMagic image shot in ProRes or raw? And the 5D image, ProRes or DNG from MLV App?

Quote from: DavidP on August 16, 2019, 09:35:14 PM
I did also try just importing the dngs and no cigar. I can actually match it with lots of qualifying nodes

Hmmm sounds like Davinci resolve may not be using the colour matrices embedded in the DNG files. Though I don't have much knowledge about this area of Resolve.

Quote from: DavidP on August 16, 2019, 09:35:14 PM
Maybe if there was a way to have prores render it as accurate 5d mk iii to rec709 or bmfilm conversion?... would be great if we could get an accurate prores export so Resolves transform tool could get accurate base colour for conversions :)

This will come true very soon, I found a matrix for BMDFilm on the bmcuser forum, it is not official so not sure if it will be perfect, but should be much closer than current MLV App options. Will have this ready as an option in MLV App soon, as well as a few other gamuts.

DavidP

The green tint in the highlights is likely caused by the sun bouncing off the grass and trees to the right, then she's in a dark area.

That was dng and I manually graded. I've tried all the automatic settings to get something uniform I can easily produce but as noted earlier it doesn't work.

Naviddabest

Quote from: Ilia3101 on August 16, 2019, 03:11:48 PM
What kind of HDR video type do you want? hybrid log gamma? I can add that if you want. Gamut selection is coming (Rec2020 will be there).

Any kind, hdr10 maybe was just wondering if it was there. Thanks for the reply.

ilia3101

Quote from: Naviddabest on August 17, 2019, 09:46:58 PM
Any kind, hdr10 maybe was just wondering if it was there. Thanks for the reply.

Okay, I looked it up, HDR10 uses the Rec2020 colour gamut and Hybrig Log Gamma transfer function. I will add HLG as an option too. It'll be possible to get HDR10 output by selecting Rec2020 and HLG - not sure how you deal with that footage later on though, somehow you'll need to make other software interpret it as HDR

Quote from: DavidP on August 17, 2019, 06:13:11 AM
The green tint in the highlights is likely caused by the sun bouncing off the grass and trees to the right, then she's in a dark area.

Ah I see. BTW do you use mac or windows? I may want to send you a test build earlier than release, for you to test if the improved BMDfilm matches better.

UPDATE: I have done most of the work of allowing selectable gamut and transfer function, see commits. We just need to do the interface and then some more refinement. Should have a release ready soon.

ilia3101

A small gift to the Linux users here... MLV Stitcher

Use case: Shoot in crop mode on a tripod, move the crop window around to capture a larger area of the sensor in a few separate shots, then combine those separate shots using this little app to create a new, higher resolution MLV!

Based on MLV App code, it can import multiple MLVs, move them around, crop them, and stitch them together. Has feathering for smooth transitions, exposure adjustment and difference blending to make aligning easier.

I will not continue as there is too few real life use cases. I also used Gtkmm for the interface, painful to use crap.

Download : https://drive.google.com/file/d/19aNCQh9xdWPPA2_P2pz_GWRFNw8zc4N_/view?usp=sharing

Source code found at https://github.com/ilia3101/MLV-App/tree/master/platform/mlv_blender

Danne

Cool! Mac users would love this ;). Hopefully linux users find it useful and could maybe post some examples.

ngemu

when apply luts, selecting log type, and white balancing, does it matter what order I do these in on mlvap?

From my testing, it seems like whatever I select, everything comes out the same.

Asderq

Hello? guys.
Maybe someone can help me. I'v found some kind of hot pixels. "Fix bad pixeles" didn't help.
This is 0,5 speed of 1920*1080 11-8 bit raw from 5dmIII with magiclantern-crop_rec_4k.2018Jul22.5D3113 firmware.

ilia3101

You are correct, processing internally always happens in the same order.

Quote from: Danne on August 18, 2019, 08:52:10 AM
Cool! Mac users would love this ;). Hopefully linux users find it useful and could maybe post some examples.

Anyone is welcome to have a go at compiling it, you'll need Gtkmm library, maybe homebrew will let you install it.

jpegmasterjesse

Some recent notes on my experience with MLV App lately.

-Would love if, when a clip ends, spacebar would restart the video by default.

-When using MLV App to preview/delete footage, it's a bit of a chore. You can't delete a video if it's open in the file browser. You have to delete it from MLVApp and then remember the title and delete it in explorer. If it's possible to delete the actual file via MLV App that'd be ideal.

-Re-sorting videos based on name/date/ect would be nice.

-Maybe a render-queue would be nice? Since you can't work/queue up additional videos while rendering, there's a video of memory and juggling involved once you've finished working on your videos. A star rating or color label system could help with this too.

-This is a long weird one. I recently acquired a fun little tool that magic lantern users might be interested in. It's called a tourbox, and it's essentially just a handful of buttons, knobs, and dials that currently is well-integrated with Photoshop but can work with any software using keyboard commands. Right now I can't really use it in MLV App because there aren't any keyboard commands to assign. If MLV App had something like Mlrawviewer had with changing color bance (4 and 6 changed blue value, 5 and 7 changed red value, ect), that could be a nice efficiency. Or more simply, if there was a "next slider" command and highlighting each slider allowed for alteration with keyboard commands (like up or down arrow), you can go down the list and use your dials to change values.

As always thanks for the wonderful App.

masc

Thanks for your feedback @jpegmasterjesse!

Quote from: jpegmasterjesse on August 22, 2019, 10:04:43 PM
-Would love if, when a clip ends, spacebar would restart the video by default.
Okay. Could be done somehow, I think.
Edit: done. But the clip needs to be longer than 1..2 sec, because switching the debayer algorithm to playback setting + jumping to first frame needs time, so you'll never see the first frames. It still works better using X button.
-When using MLV App to preview/delete footage, it's a bit of a chore. You can't delete a video if it's open in the file browser. You have to delete it from MLVApp and then remember the title and delete it in explorer. If it's possible to delete the actual file via MLV App that'd be ideal.
Already done.

-Re-sorting videos based on name/date/ect would be nice.
Puh. Could be possible, but will be a hard job because of internal realization. We just see the infos from the current clip and just filenames from other clips. So there is nothing to sort but the filename - and this would work exactly one time and never again.
-Maybe a render-queue would be nice? Since you can't work/queue up additional videos while rendering, there's a video of memory and juggling involved once you've finished working on your videos.
Unfortunately 100% impossible with current concept. We would have to rewrite the whole GUI. And even then rendering speed and export speed would drop by 50%, because we then have two tasks at the same time. So this would be extremely slow.
A star rating or color label system could help with this too.
Yeah... myself, I would like to have that, but don't know yet how to realize it... not impossible, but I want to have it in a nice way, and we have to think on a couple of existing presentation features.
-This is a long weird one. I recently acquired a fun little tool that magic lantern users might be interested in. It's called a tourbox, and it's essentially just a handful of buttons, knobs, and dials that currently is well-integrated with Photoshop but can work with any software using keyboard commands. Right now I can't really use it in MLV App because there aren't any keyboard commands to assign. If MLV App had something like Mlrawviewer had with changing color bance (4 and 6 changed blue value, 5 and 7 changed red value, ect), that could be a nice efficiency. Or more simply, if there was a "next slider" command and highlighting each slider allowed for alteration with keyboard commands (like up or down arrow), you can go down the list and use your dials to change values.
On Windows this should be possible with Tab and Arrow left/right, isn't it? I thought this is Qt standard functionality (at least on Windows). Edit: works.
You can't connect e.g. a mouse on this box? This thing has enough CPU power to render frames?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

Quote from: masc on August 10, 2019, 12:24:36 PM
And there is another new feature: AVFoundation export can be resized now. This is not really fast, but from quality side this looks not bad.
If you're able to test, please let me know if it works for you, or if you get problems with it.
A note for our hardworking beta testers: I got this resizing algorithm multithreaded. On a dualcore processor (tested with i5, 4 threads) rendering time (for resizing) dropped around by half. Would be nice if you could test it and tell me if it works for you too (or not).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

jpegmasterjesse

Quote from: masc on August 22, 2019, 10:27:06 PM

Unfortunately 100% impossible with current concept. We would have to rewrite the whole GUI. And even then rendering speed and export speed would drop by 50%, because we then have two tasks at the same time. So this would be extremely slow.

Just to be clear I wasn't thinking this would mean the app is operable during rendering. The problem I'm trying to solve is that, when working through a lot of videos, i will often think "this one is good to go" and also not want to stop editing. By the time I've mads it through all the clips, it's difficult to just grab everything you feel is "done" for a large export. So yeah, even just like an X you could tag next to the file name to help with selection would be great.

The tourbox is just a peripheral. It's a little frivolous but has led to some real efficiencies. In premiere i use a dial to jog frame by frame which I really enjoy. I'll mess around with mapping it and try to find a good preset for mlvapp.

Thanks Masc!

The Story Board

First of all, just amazing software. Long time user, first time writer. I've loved the 5d with ML for years now, but your software is just manna from heaven for those of us on Mac. And for free? just crazy.

My co-workers and I have been shooting documentary footage with 5dm3+ML and a C300, and MLV App has been so useful for this project. I just have a couple relatively simple questions. (At least, I think they are simple?)

My co-workers and I have been shooting documentary footage with 5dm3+ML and a C300.

First, are there settings you recommend using in MLV App to get as close to C300 C-log3 as possible? It makes matching so much easier in the NLE.

Second, since we have been shooting SO MUCH ML Raw, I'd love to know what settings to turn on or off to make the conversion process from MLV to QT as fast as possible - essentially, I want to make unprocessed proxies as fast as possible. I use MLV App to do fine color tuning once I have my offline edit finished, but I don't need the highest quality conversion for the first steps, and I am often leaving transcodes overnight for 150-200 MLV files, and finding them still unfinished in the next morning.

So what settings would you recommend for speed of transcode, as opposed to the best quality?

Again, LOVE the software. The look I get out of the 5d is just stunning. Thank you!

masc

Currently you just can delete unwanted clips from session. You could also render all clips without any settings as proxy, cut with that, export a fcpxml which you import again in MLVApp. Then MLVApp only shows the used clips. FCPX and Resolve are able to export projects as fcpxml files, maybe even more programs.

If you just want to toggle through clips:
J - previous clip
K - next clip
, - previous frame
. - next frame
X - first frame
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Luther