MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Tested the deflicker algo in mlvfs applied through program "Switch" boy, long time since I used that one. Damn you Mlv app! ;). Anyway. Flicker seems too subtle here so it wasn´t removed.
So, next up I tweaked Switch to use tblend filter which usually neglects this filter if not a HDR file in Switch and the result was much better. Check file here:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/M24-1055.mov

Then I tested running the tblend filter on the above file once more and result seems almost perfect:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/M24-1055b.mov

So, a script with a double pass run of tblend averaging should be a good compromise. Of course averaging frames has its downsides so pick your poison wisely ;).

Sidenote: aah, how nicely dcraw handles highlights in this case(-H 2 I think).

Danne

Actually, there´s a deflicker solution in Mlv App. Set export options "Smooth aliasing" to 3 pass. Works really nice too:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/M24-1055c.mov

masc

Not bad, not bad. The flicker is gone at the cost of some ghosting.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

Quote from: Danne on August 06, 2019, 09:25:56 AM
It could work. I tested this with mlvfs set to around 5000, can't remember exactly. Tested to even out hdr files so that was a pretty strong contrasty test file. No idea how above file will work. Maybe @dmilligan (author) still around?
dmilligan

Quote from: Veerle on August 06, 2019, 11:18:44 PM
But, perhaps deflicker is not what's needed. Really liking the look of Danne's version b (double pass run of tblend). Is there a way this could be implemented in the app? Smooth aliasing is quite good too, but, like masc said, creates some ghosting.

Or alternatively, (similar to mentioned before) create an in app feature that runs a script calculating the exposure difference between frames, then set the desired target expo amount until pleased. I'm sure one of you geniuses could figure this out...

But ok... I don't desperately need this/a perfect fix right now, I can probably work around it. But I do think it'll be a neat feature to add to the app.
Ghosting is present in both solutions. Smooth aliasing is probably the better one.
Deflicker programs exists for timelapse use. Google around maybe you´ll find something useful.

Solving your issue is easy. Record with normal shutter speeds, use nd filter etc. There´s a reason why shutters are slow for filming.

Danne

Quote from: Veerle on August 07, 2019, 12:16:05 AM
This leads me to another question though (though perhaps not entirely the right topic):
Even though Canon's native video has many faults (which is why we use Magic Lantern), it does manage to prevent/ fix certain problems in-camera. There is no black sun, light flickering or much aliasing, color fringing or chromatic aberration no matter what settings you use. Makes me wonder, how do they do it...?
Whole basket of misconceptions right there...

Check out search button or google raw video/magic lantern and you´ll probably find a lot of answers right away.

Quentin

How do you manage Dual Tone ?
I mean, how to tint shadows and highlights with color ?
With HSV ?

masc

Quote from: Veerle on August 07, 2019, 12:16:05 AM
Even though Canon's native video has many faults (which is why we use Magic Lantern), it does manage to prevent/ fix certain problems in-camera. There is no black sun, light flickering or much aliasing, color fringing or chromatic aberration no matter what settings you use. Makes me wonder, how do they do it...?
Really? Do you have a different EOS M than I have? I get also in H.264 a black sun, much more aliasing than in RAW, CA's are still there, etc. ...

Quote from: Quentin on August 07, 2019, 05:17:51 AM
How do you manage Dual Tone ?
I mean, how to tint shadows and highlights with color ?
With HSV ?
I don't know what you mean with dual tone. But if you like to setup colors in dependency to brightness you could use the gradation curve tool.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Quentin

In native Adobe Camera RAW Filter, you can tint highlights with a color, you can tint shadows with a color and adjust the balance between the two.
If you double click on any adjustment it goes to default value.
Its more practical than Curves adjustment and very easy to change your mind, rathen than changing curves.
Personal taste here.

masc

We don't have this in MLVApp. We just have an overall tint filter, which works more or less like a optical color filter in front of a lens.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Quentin

Danne

ricardopt

Hi Danne, nothing new, it's a widely known solution,

1- load your video on your NLE (hitfilm, shotcut, openshot, davinci resolve etc etc)
2- duplicate your video
3- set opacity to 100% on first video
4- set opacity to 50% on the second (duplicated) video
5- offset both videos by 1 frame (video one starts at 00.00 and video 2 (duplicated) starts at 00:01)

change opacity level on step 4 to your liking, opacity might be called "transparency" on other video editors.

In the end we can sharpen thevideo a little and do some tweaking to get rid of some of the blur.

Hope it helps.

Danne

Quote from: Veerle on August 07, 2019, 11:49:09 PM
Yeah, nope. No answers. Perhaps my query is wrong... Care to enlighten me or drop a link?
There's not one link to cover all the basics.  My tip is you deepen your understanding both around camera setup basics when filming and also the difference between raw and h264. Both your camera manual and the search field in here are two helping friends.

masc

Quote from: Veerle on August 08, 2019, 03:15:07 PM
... far less moire...
LOL... sorry... no. Theoretically impossible and practically too. Might be correct if you forget to debayer, or use the simplest and worst algorithms, else: no. But if H264 is better for you, I would not recommend to use RAW (not worth the effort then).

EOSM:
H264 readout 3x5 (heavy moiree + stretched + compression artifacts)
RAW readout 3x3 (some moiree), 1x3 (no moiree), 1x1 (no moiree)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

a1ex

Quote from: masc on August 08, 2019, 03:17:25 PM
EOSM:
H264 readout 3x5 (heavy moiree + stretched + compression artifacts)
RAW readout 3x3 (some moiree), 1x3 (no moiree), 1x1 (no moiree)

FWIW, H.264 on EOS M (vanilla Canon firmware) is 3x3 with column binning and line skipping, unless you record at 720p50/60.

Quote from: Veerle on August 08, 2019, 03:15:07 PM
Canons native video has no black sun, flickering and far less moire...
[....]
There is even a difference between h264 with ML and h264 without (native)...

Black sun can be caused by incorrect CMOS settings. I did not check Danne's configuration, so I don't know what tweaks he applies to H.264, if any; it's just a guess. You could do the following tests:

- disable crop_rec (in the Movie menu)
- do not load crop_rec.mo at all (this module tweaks the image readout process)
- try some build from the download page (main or experimental); I don't expect this issue to be present there.

Moire: I'm unable to reproduce the issue (mlv_dump + ufraw + crop + resize to 450px, no focus pixel correction), so it must be from postprocessing. In both cases (H.264 and MLV), the readout was 3x3 with column binning / line skipping, so the aliasing should be pretty much the same.

Flicker: known issue.

Danne

Quote from: a1ex on August 09, 2019, 08:49:06 AM
Black sun can be caused by incorrect CMOS settings. I did not check Danne's configuration, so I don't know what tweaks he applies to H.264...
Interesting. I apply this to all presets in crop_rec. Could it be the culprit?:
        /* all presets */
        if (is_EOSM)
        {
            /* hot/cold pixels. Usually 0x2. 0x34 to be tested */
            cmos_new[4] = 0x34;
        }

Here is a build with above tweak disabled. If possible please test if better:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Aug07.EOSM2_black_sun_fix.zip

By the way. Is that flicker fix good to go, I could put in crop_rec.c? THere´s talk of a bug?

EDIT: tried the flicker fix but still flickers...

Danne

Tested another thing regarding flicker in with high speed shutter. When in mcm rewired mode and 24 fps in canon menu increasing shutter to around 2500 and faster, test 1/4000 flicker is very evident. If I then set 25 fps in canon menu flicker is gone. Solution for flicker free 24 fps seems to be to select 25 fps in canon menu then change reg 6014 so we get 24 fps. What makes?

Testfiles:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/canon25fpsnoflicker.MLV
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/canon24fpsflicker.MLV

EDIT: hehe, looking through adtg_gui I see the variying 6014 reg when canon menu is set to 24 fps. When set to 25 fps it´s only one value.

EDIT 2:
Issue fixed regarding flickering shutter for mcm rewired mode:
Commit:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/commits/172284f6166b84f6996c089eb4b7b291fcb6a1b0

Build on top here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

Black sun thingy still needs attention...