MLV App 1.14 - All in one MLV Video Post Processing App [Windows, Mac and Linux]

Started by ilia3101, July 08, 2017, 10:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jip-Hop

Here's the MLV file which makes MLV App crash when exporting to CinemaDNG Fast Pass, DaVinci Resolve Naming Scheme.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m0xqknynoie10zk/M01-1136.MLV?dl=0

Unfortunately had to upload the whole (big) file, as I couldn't make it shorter.
Exporting a shortened MLV didn't crash the app but gave this error:

"Could not read VIDF image data from: M01-1136.MLV."

So probably that error isn't handled correctly when exporting to CinemaDNG?

Remember this was the recording which filled up the card, so probably ML couldn't cleanly end the file.

masc

Thank you, Jip-Hop. I'll download and analyze. Yes, here we need the full file to get the error. I am very excited why it crashes the app. We have so many error paths in the app, but it seems minimum one is missing ;)
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

masc

@Jip-Hop:
unfortunately I can't reproduce the crash here (OSX 10.9). It exports fine without any error, as cdng, fastpass, as you described. What are your system specs? Did you set other options? The last dng picture is corrupted (half pink).
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

bouncyball

@Jip-Hop:

I can not reproduce the crash either. Last frame is indeed corrupted and can not be exported as compressed .DNG, uncompressed/fast shows artifacts.

Otherwise exporting as compressed/uncompressed/fast with both naming schemes is perfectly fine here (Linux Ubuntu 16.04)

Edit: some amount of last frames playing silent.

Jip-Hop

Well that's strange. Don't think we're going to find what's causing this.
I could reproduce it consistently with that file yesterday and the day before.
But not anymore today... Forgot exactly what settings I used, but I could export it fine now a couple of times.

However, I also ran into a couple of crashes but differently this time.
If I open MLV App, then add that file, change Chroma Smooth to 5x5 and export in DNG Fast Pass with DaVinci Resolve naming it crashed MLV App instantly.
Even before progress bar shows.

Was hoping this crash would happen consistently, but to my surprise repeating the process I got a couple of successful exports too.

I'm on the latest MacOS 10.14.5 by the way.

Sorry to bother with this!

masc

What you could also do next time it crashes: OSX brings a crashreport. You can enlarge and copy the text of it. Paste it here... so we know the source code function where to search for the bug.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Jip-Hop

Here's a crash report. As you'll notice from the hardware specs it's a Hackintosh. But don't think that will be the cause of the crash.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vc08qkrhjldu74e/crash%20report.txt?dl=0

bouncyball

Quote from: Jip-Hop on July 04, 2019, 03:33:50 PM
If I open MLV App, then add that file, change Chroma Smooth to 5x5 and export in DNG Fast Pass with DaVinci Resolve naming it crashed MLV App instantly.
Even before progress bar shows.
When export is set to "Fast Pass" all raw corrections are skipped anyway, so CS 5x5 has none of impact on export as none of impact has naming scheme either.

masc

Thank you. The report tells that the app crashed in the function which prepares the export... very strange. No idea what could go wrong in there. I would need the crash on my computer when the debugger is active to see the line and all variable values.

Edit: did it show the file dialog before crashing?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Jip-Hop

Yes I think it crashed right after the file dialog. It's about to overwrite an earlier export of the same file. If that matters.

2blackbar

Just wanted to inform that MLVApp does not prevent windows to go into sleep mode , so when i leave PC overnight to render all clips, PC will turn itself off after a couple of clips and go into sleep mode because of no activity, i think rendering is some sort of activity but in my case it still goes to sleep..

masc

Quote from: 2blackbar on July 06, 2019, 07:02:39 PM
Just wanted to inform that MLVApp does not prevent windows to go into sleep mode...
Unfortunately this is out of scope of the Qt libraries. Maybe it is possible to implement it 3 times for 3 OS. Someone knows how to do this? No idea about Windows or Linux... in OSX it is only a few clicks to switch off sleep mode in system panel.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Walter Schulz

It's just a few clicks away in Windows, too. And there are several tools for Windows just to prevent sleep/hibernation while running: Don't sleep, Caffeine, No more sleep, ...

Or something like this batch (source: stackoverflow)
@echo off
powercfg.exe -x -monitor-timeout-ac 0
powercfg.exe -x -monitor-timeout-dc 0
powercfg.exe -x -disk-timeout-ac 0
powercfg.exe -x -disk-timeout-dc 0
powercfg.exe -x -standby-timeout-ac 0
powercfg.exe -x -standby-timeout-dc 0
powercfg.exe -x -hibernate-timeout-ac 0
powercfg.exe -x -hibernate-timeout-dc 0

2blackbar

So disabling sleep mode is the only solution ? Its easy to do this but then after rendering cpu will stay on.MLVApp gives estimate time to finish rendering so thats helpful.

Walter Schulz

I described two solutions: Disabling sleep/hibernate by batch and tools triggering some event to reset sleep timer. And it's up to masc to implement some kind of system event inside MLV App as a third solution (or not).

KirbyLikes525

Quote from: 2blackbar on July 06, 2019, 07:02:39 PM
Just wanted to inform that MLVApp does not prevent windows to go into sleep mode , so when i leave PC overnight to render all clips, PC will turn itself off after a couple of clips and go into sleep mode because of no activity, i think rendering is some sort of activity but in my case it still goes to sleep..

Had the same issue on my iMac. Disabling 'power save', not sleep mode, did the trick. Mac still goes to sleep but renders always finish. So maybe try a different option.
5D Mark II
10 bit 12 bit Experimental Build

Luther

@Ilia3101 Do you have plans to return on the BetterProcessing branch? Let me know if I could help.

ngemu

Sorry this is probably answered already but I can't seem to find the issue.

I have some MLV files but upon playing them in MLVapp, the video does not play continuously and just jumps back and forth between 2 frames.

Is this an MLVapp issue or did I mess up my settings in magic lantern.

Danne

You need to share more info. Best if you upload the mlv file and we can inspect that instead.

masc

This looks indeed very strange. Also would like to get this MLV for analysis.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ilia3101

Quote from: ngemu on July 13, 2019, 04:42:01 AM
Sorry this is probably answered already but I can't seem to find the issue.

I have some MLV files but upon playing them in MLVapp, the video does not play continuously and just jumps back and forth between 2 frames.

Is this an MLVapp issue or did I mess up my settings in magic lantern.

This looks very similar to what my 5D produced in the early days of 10/12 bit raw video, so it could be a camera glitch by the looks of it. Try playing the clip in MLRawViewer or converting it to DNGs in mlv dump to check if it is an MLV App issue.