Menu clean-up/redo: Audio tab displayed all the time

Started by Walter Schulz, January 03, 2019, 05:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Another itch (and FAQ): Audio tab for non-D4 cams is visible after enabling mlv_snd only. IMO it would be preferable to have Audio tab visible all the time. For those cams not supported by ML audio features (including 50D) there should be a notice why there are no/shadowed menu items. Link to feature list, too.

nikfreak

could fit into this PR by "greying it out" for not supported cams (I still vote for hiding as discussed in PR):

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/730/menu-proper-handling-of-raw-jpg-h264/diff

One could also think about adding mlv_snd options as a submenu into "Movie" tab
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

a1ex

Just FYI - on the crop_rec_4k builds, mlv_snd options were moved into the raw video submenu (as they apply only to raw video anyway). I'd prefer to keep this change (i.e. bring it into mainline); that will keep the Audio menu hidden if there's nothing else to show there.

nikfreak

This proves again I'm no videographer and not using any related builds / features  :o
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Walter Schulz

Any chance to get Audio tab relocated?

Expo - Overlays - Movie - Audio - Shoot - ...

a1ex

Walter Schulz

Depends!

My problem with tab's location is because it sucks in text tutorials/help texts if the item you're starting which is not there. Happens to non-D4 users (+50D). No problem in video tutorials or in workshops: You introduce the topics and with no real effort you start with second (in modern cams: first) tab's content and most people will just be fine.
Text books/tutorials are a different thing. It's a major PITA for writers and readers if the introduction has to begin with some kind of "if-then-else" or explain why things are not there or other way round. It's just a bad start. Call it "didactic" reasons.

Beginning with "Expo" and "Overlays" is actually convincing: It doesn't matter if you're into stills or video, comes handy for both. And Expo even starts with terms you are familiar with. Big win!

Now, *after* you made people happy you may introduce something not so straightforward and - IMO - placing Audio after Movie makes sense because it's related to movie.

Yeah, not the strongest use case, I know!

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: a1ex on January 03, 2019, 06:13:42 PMJust FYI - on the crop_rec_4k builds, mlv_snd options were moved into the raw video submenu (as they apply only to raw video anyway). I'd prefer to keep this change (i.e. bring it into mainline); that will keep the Audio menu hidden if there's nothing else to show there.

+1

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 07, 2019, 02:26:17 PM
...Now, *after* you made people happy you may introduce something not so straightforward and - IMO - placing Audio after Movie makes sense because it's related to movie.

Yeah, not the strongest use case, I know!

That's a really good point. Tho it made sense having mlv_snd options from within the raw video submenu ever since it was introduced. It feels more authentic this way.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109