[HARDWARE PROBLEM] 60D died

Started by juannp, August 12, 2012, 04:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juannp

Hello,
last night i was taking some pictures with my new canon 50mm 1.8 II on my canon 60D with ML (memory card sandisk extreme 8gb), everything was normal.. then, i just turn the camera off and put in on the desk. Today i woke up and try to turn on my camera and nothing happens. i really don't know what had happend it's really weird.
i've been trying some things i read in the forum and searching on internet but i can't fix it.
Here are some things i noticed:

- battery was full or almost full the last time i used it. But when i start having this problem i put the battery on the charger and it said that my battery was at 0% (chargers green led blink once).

- i've tried to turn it on with: a formated sandisk extrem card, without cards, leaving it without the battery for a long period, installing some differents autoexec.bin that i've found in the web (wht one that starts blinking the led constantly, the one that make it blinks various times long blinks and shorts).  But nothing happends.

- i've noticed that the file "magic.cfg" was "modified" the last time i could use the camera.

- every time i tested the camera NOTHING happend (no lcd lights, no image on screen, no sound, nothing) just the led blinks once when i close the card slot, or i put the battery with the card on.

- i've already tried to clean contacts, remove battery then card, card then battery, change lens, charge the battery uncharge it, connect it with the macbok...

- my magic lantern version was the last "free version" (not the V2.3).

Well i hope someone could help me anyway, i'm ready to try different things like forcing a firmware o whatever, i need the camera.
On Monday (today is saturday) i'll bring it to the store where i bought it and ask for warranty.

Pd:sorry about my english i'm argentinian and my native lenguage is Spanish.

1%

Strange. Maybe try a log dumping autoexec.bin... maybe camera is running but all lights off in some corrupted state? Or hw failure? Card door switch? Try plugging things in?

I've had my batteries drain to dead a few times but I always charge them and it works.

bart

I'll PM you for a diagnose.

juannp

Hi again, first of all thanks for your fast answers..

Quote from: 1% on August 12, 2012, 06:12:48 AM
Strange. Maybe try a log dumping autoexec.bin... maybe camera is running but all lights off in some corrupted state? Or hw failure? Card door switch? Try plugging things in?

I've had my batteries drain to dead a few times but I always charge them and it works.

- I've been searching for a "log dumping autoexec.bin" but i can'd find one that really creates an error dumping file.
- I don't think the camera is running because i press every button and nothing happends (every button).
- I don't know what is hw failure.
- the "card door switch" now is working weird. yesterday when i plug the card the led doesn't blink until i close the card slot door. but now in the right moment that i plug the card it seems that the camera "read" the card before i close the card slot door.
- i've plugged the usb cable, and the "usb to video-audio cable". nothing happends (i don't have another cable or attachment).

Quote from: b4rt on August 12, 2012, 09:08:02 AM
I'll PM you for a diagnose.

- I answer you by PM.

Well, i couldn't fix it, i will keep trying cause i really need the camera this week :\
thanks anyway

scrax

try to rename magic.cfg to magic.bak
you will start with a default setup

also  have you tried each mode dial position at startup?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

juannp

Quote from: scrax on August 13, 2012, 01:21:06 AM
try to rename magic.cfg to magic.bak
you will start with a default setup

also  have you tried each mode dial position at startup?

I've tried both, nothing happends :(

if i leave the battery in the camera it drains :\

1%

I think the drain battery bug might have more serious issues on other cameras. When you pull the card out, pull the battery or flip the camera on/off without the card to make sure its not stuck. I started doing this when the battery drained on me a few times and now it almost never happens. Look at debricking in the wiki, alex made a log dumping autoexec but I haven't messed with this yet. It might be as simple as setting debug to Y and compiling. Its supposed to constantly log debug messages and always generate a log like when you get an error 70, etc.

Quotehw failure.

Hardware failure.

a1ex

The shutdown problem is not a ML bug, but a quirk in Canon bootloader. Just watching the LED blinks is enough for me.

I'd like to investigate it (at least dump the ROM area and compare it with mine), but I'm not able to do this until next week.

roberto espinoza

hola qué tal? resolviste tu problema con la cámara?
anoche justo instalé la ML 2.3 (también tengo una 60d)
y me tiró err 70 dos veces. te salió a tí también?
salu2 espero que todo se solucione

Michael Zöller

Please stick to English in here, roberto.
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

roberto espinoza

sorry, again in english

"hello how are you? you solved your problem with the camera?
just last night installed the ML 2.3 (I have a 60d also)
and threw me 70 err twice. I came to you too?
salu2 hope everything is resolved"

juannp

Hi again,
My camera is now in the shop to use the "warranty".
I don't know what's going to happend i will notice here the process.
if the warranty doesn't cover for any reason i will be able to work with you a1ex and try whatever you want.

Thanks anyway.

Roberto, te cuento.. directamente dejó de funcionar mi cámara.. antes que salga la versión 2.3 asique nose si hubiera andado..
igualmente apenas la tenga le instalaré la nueva versión y me fijaré que onda.
Saludos

Michael Zöller

Thanks for keeping us updated, juannp!
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

juannp

Well i get my camera back again after one month.

The service ppl told me that was a "contact problem" and they didn't want to give me more details. (here in Argentina every service, and customer attention sucks really hard).

I really don't know what was the problem because it suddenly died, but now it's working and it's the same camera.
I'll install ML today and hope that everything will work fine.

Thanks everybody to the answers and the attention.
And sorry again for my english :)