New Guy Here - Bit Depth Question

Started by nlp, July 01, 2017, 04:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nlp

Hello all.  I am a long time lurker of the forums.  I finally made the plunge and installed Magic Lantern.  I am trying to adjust all the settings and I've noticed that I do not have the option to adjust bit depth anywhere.  I am running the latest nightly build on a 5D iii and 1.1.3.  Any thoughts? 

Thanks!

walter_schulz

Top of page -> Downloads ->Downloads (Drop-downmenu) -Experiments

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Downloads (Drop down menu) -> Experiments

Ceterum censeo experimental build page esse delendam.

bpv5P

Or, click here and install it (build from Oct16 2017).

edit:  Link removed - old build links scattered through the forum annoy this moderator.  //Audionut

Walter Schulz

I would really prefer him reading all the disclaimers first ...

extremelypoorfilmaker

bpv5P

Let's be honest, a very little percentage of downloaders read EULA/TOS or sofware licenses.
If the individual wants to open legal prosecution on ML creators, they would already be legally protected, since it's already stated inside the package itself ("README" text file). No need to worry too much with these things.

dfort

@medico6601 have you figured out by now that the option to adjust the bit rate is only available on experimental builds?

Longer answer, the Nightly builds are compiled from the unified branch. That branch is the only one that works with all of the cameras currently supported. Not all cameras can work with the 10/12bit option.

Audionut

Quote from: bpv5P on October 20, 2017, 01:12:06 AM
Let's be honest, a very little percentage of downloaders read EULA/TOS or sofware licenses.

Absolutely correct.  However, direct links remove one step in the process in encouraging users to read the things that a1ex puts into these pages.  a1ex is a dev that I'm more then sure, prefers to dev, rather then spending precious dev time on fancy web pages.  The (very simple) fact that the information is even there, shows that a1ex deems that information to be important.

Direct links overestimate.  New user maybe has absolutely no idea what so ever about anything ML related, other then ML enables Canon cameras to do cool shit.  You have complete awareness of experimental builds, and lots of knowledge regarding their use because you are a long time user.  don't overestimate the needs, wants, desires of others.  This user might really want the feature that the experimental build provides, however, given the chance to read everything on the experimental page, might then make his/her own decision not to try the experimental stuff.  I don't know, you don't know.

We spend so much time encouraging people to use the latest nightly builds, for various reasons.  Directly linking builds that quickly become outdated and possibly harm the development progress in the future, annoys this moderator.  Sorry I don't have time to sugar coat, blunt and to the point (you did say, "let's be honest" :P).

Cheers.

bpv5P