Canon 70D Shutter Speed Timing / Firmware

Started by jonas.svidras, June 24, 2017, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonas.svidras

Hello Guys!

So, the story is that recently I disassembled my Canon EOS 70D, replaced my broken shutter blades and did CMOS sensor position measuring and aligning after assembly using 0.001 mm scale.

Everything works fine, kinda... But my photos a little bit underexposed, they not that dark, but there is a slight push to the left in histogram.

As I know that means that my camera needs Shutter Timing Alignment.

There is few possible ways to do this that I have in mind:

1. Bring camera to Canon Authorized Service;

2. Buy SPT Software for $275.

What I understand it works directly using USB, it puts camera in to service mode and you can rewrite Shutter Timing Value.

3. Maybe there is posibility to decrypt original Canon firmware file(.FIR), change these values and then compile it back and flash to camera. Or maybe there is a way to directly modify these values like that SPT software does? As I understand it's not official Canon Service software. Or maybe I need to extract firmware from my camera to be able to modify it... I just don't know... Just going thru this whole forum and wiki to find any kind of information about this.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, maybe you know what's possible and what's not, every, even small bit of information will be really helpful to me.  ;)

Thank you! Hope this is the right section for this.

Jonas

a1ex

I don't think this value is changed by firmware update; to my knowledge, calibration parameters are not altered. So it's likely more than editing a value in the firmware update.

I also have no idea how the SPT software is working, or where this setting might be, sorry (though it could be interesting to find out).

jonas.svidras

As service manuals say:
QuoteThis board also has the following: Main CPU which controls various sensors and
mechanical parts for camera operations, viewfinder display drive control circuit, and
EEPROM memory to store saved data such as adjustment data (AE, AF, etc.)

I think these values, including shutter timing is stored in EEPROM 8-pin chip that is located on main board.

There is no information online how to put camera in to Service Mode, or even if I would be able to get camera to Service Mode, I wouldn't be able to find drivers for this mode, because I think drivers is a must for accessing EEPROM.

I got an idea to dissasemble my main board, remove EEPROM and try to read it with programmer.

For practice I removed EEPROM from my Canon printer to read EEPROM, but what I get it's just "random" symbols. Maybe I need to decrypt it or I should go straight for my camera, and hope that values on EEPROM will be different and clear to understand... I don't know... My camera is working, I can use it with exposure compensation...

g3gg0

can you do us a favor?

*if* you give it to service for calibration, could you contact us *beforehand*?
we would love to stumble your camera's properties and MPU data and what changed during that calibration.

this would help others who face the same problem.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

a1ex

Quote from: jonas.svidras on June 25, 2017, 03:48:14 PM
I got an idea to dissasemble my main board, remove EEPROM and try to read it with programmer.

On some models (those with TX19A MPU), you can read the EEPROM, with the mpu_dump module. The 70D is not one of them - it uses F74966A, just like 100D and 700D. The 5D3 and 6D use F74965A, while the 650D and EOSM use F74964A. These are probably Fujitsu FR (just a guess), and the protocol for talking to the main CPU is the same as with those models with TX19A (many messages are actually identical).

I can try to adapt the mpu_dump module for 5D3, and the 70D will hopefully be the same.

jonas.svidras

Quote from: g3gg0 on June 25, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
can you do us a favor?

*if* you give it to service for calibration, could you contact us *beforehand*?
we would love to stumble your camera's properties and MPU data and what changed during that calibration.

this would help others who face the same problem.

Sure, no problem with that, as long as my camera won't be damaged.  ;)

Quote from: a1ex on June 25, 2017, 04:42:24 PM
On some models (those with TX19A MPU), you can read the EEPROM, with the mpu_dump module. The 70D is not one of them - it uses F74966A, just like 100D and 700D. The 5D3 and 6D use F74965A, while the 650D and EOSM use F74964A. These are probably Fujitsu FR (just a guess), and the protocol for talking to the main CPU is the same as with those models with TX19A (many messages are actually identical).

I can try to adapt the mpu_dump module for 5D3, and the 70D will hopefully be the same.

I read few discussions: MP_Dump, a1ex MPU Communication, mpu_dump module and Tx19a wiki.

Is it possible to create dump file of MPU/MPU-EEP and check what's inside, or compare two versions before/after authorized service adjusments?

Or maybe someone has already created MPU/EEP dump's of their camera's and we can take a look at them to find right values? Or maybe I don't understand something...

I'm still missing big amount of information about ML, dumping and reading/understanding its data.  :o

g3gg0

Quote from: jonas.svidras on June 25, 2017, 07:52:12 PM
Is it possible to create dump file of MPU/MPU-EEP and check what's inside, or compare two versions before/after authorized service adjusments?

thats why i asked ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Cadyllac

hello all,
Sorry I'm just coming with a question. I was wondering where can I get the 70D electrical schematics that jonas.svidras posted, or any camera schematics ?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Tornado

There are no schematics in free access, authorized service centers also don't have it, for new models. Only block digrams and component placing.

jonas.svidras upload parts of EOS 5D service manual, you may easy google it.

if you need newer google EOS 40D (Digic 3 platform).

Or ask questions, i have some parts of schematics for new models , but can't upload it.
There is no knowledge that is not power

Cadyllac

Quote from: Mike Tornado on February 07, 2019, 07:35:21 AM
There are no schematics in free access, authorized service centers also don't have it, for new models. Only block digrams and component placing.

jonas.svidras upload parts of EOS 5D service manual, you may easy google it.

if you need newer google EOS 40D (Digic 3 platform).

Or ask questions, i have some parts of schematics for new models , but can't upload it.

ok, got it
Thanks Mike T.