Why can't I adjust aspect ratio on 5DM2?

Started by joeray, June 05, 2017, 04:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeray

Greetings Friends,
     I have been shooting my 5DM3 for 5 years but I recently tried to set up my 5DM2 2.1.2 with the daily build of ML.  My raw video (MLV) under MOVIE is set to 1856 x 1044 and I can't change it or find a place to change aspect ratio.     My MODULES are:  dot_tune, tetra, file_man, mtg_play, mlv_rec, mlv_send, pic_view, selftest... I tried adding MLV_lite, but it made no difference.  I can only get about 30 seconds of video at these settings.  I'd like to adjust the settings to get continuous shooting.   Can anyone open my eyes to the problem?  Thanks,  JoeRay

reddeercity

Quote from: joeray on June 05, 2017, 04:42:41 AM
  .....5DM2 2.1.2 with the daily build of ML  ....... set to 1856 x 1044 and I can't change it or find a place to change aspect ratio. 
Same place you set the frame size

MLV Raw Video Menu
by RedDeerCityTV, on Flickr

Quote from: joeray on June 05, 2017, 04:42:41 AM
  I can only get about 30 seconds of video at these settings.  I'd like to adjust the settings to get continuous shooting.
Max. write speed for the 5d2 is 75 MB/s in 1:1 & 79 in 3x crop , So you must adjust your resolution to within there's parameters (look at the yellow text in image)
For continuous in 1:1 + audio (44.1 kHz) , 1856x928 @ 2:1 23.976p (frame override to exact) very stable even with hdmi device (68-70 MB/s write speed on 1000x CF Card)
Thou you maybe able to get 1856x1004 continuous @23.976 not too sure with audio (2-3 min.)
On my 5d2 I use 1856x928 and I can fill 64 GB cards all day long without any problems in 1:1 but I always try to use 3x crop mode over 1:1 just because in 1:1
if you are not use to 5d2 can produce some aliasing and moiré patterns (line skipping) over time I learned how to shoot to minimize that plus some grading trick helps too
If you have a nice 24mm of less you can get 2.6 crop = 62mm and have no line skipping @ 2K 14bit A.R. 2.35:1 I think.

If you free like living on the bleeding edge  8)  You can try 10bit 3x crop @ 2144x1076 23.976p + Audio at write speeds of 65 MB/s 
read this post for more info  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.msg177454#msg177454
download link magiclantern-10bit_12bit_.2016Dec01.5D2212.zip

question , why are you loading so many modules ?
I load just mlv_rec , mlv_snd , file_man and maybe mlv_play . I would not recommended loading too many , that will take resources for raw video recording oh yea make sure
that you leave the default Global Draw (Off) "overlay kill" when recording , there again that will take up resources .

joeray

Greetings from Alaska...
     Thankyou for responding to my concern involving my 5DM2...  I striped my CF card clean and then re-formatted it.  I then downloaded the daily off ML.  I then selected MLV_lite and MLV_snd only.
I then went to the MOVIE section and checked RAW VIDEO (MLV).  It turned on but did not allow me to select any other choice.  When I hit the select button again, the RAW VIDEO simply turned off.
On my 5DM#, I can select a small button called Q that allows me to open the sub-chapters.  Does the 5DM2 have a similar button that does what Q does on a 5DM3?   Thanks,  Joe Ray

joeray

Sir,  I just discovered what I had to do to bring up the aspect ratio and resolution...  After I opened the RAW VIDIO MLV icon under MOVIE, I then selected the button under the menu button and there was everything I needed.  Thank you so much.... Sincerely,   Joe Ray Skrha