White Balance, ISO reduction & Video timelapse tutorial

Started by 3pointedit, August 09, 2012, 11:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3pointedit

A demonstration of the use of ISO reduction and timelapse video features in Magic Lantern firmware for Canon EOS cameras.

ISO reduction is a digital crush of luma values in the camera and will not completely replace the use of ND or Vari-ND filters, but is usefull if you have none available. Remeber that shots with white clipping will also require some color correction, as the red channel does not get clipped the same as the green and blue.

The FPS Override feature allows you to record video with much slower frame rates. Even as low as seconds per frame! This leads to over exposure hence the need for ISO reduction ;)

This video was shot on an ipod and edited in FCP 6.

Music details:
Blue Circles by unreal dm CC BY 2.5
Drops of H20 by J Lang CC BY 3.0
The New Music by Alex Beroza CC BY 3.0
all music from ccmixter
550D on ML-roids

tin2tin

Thanks for a great video. Nice rig for making ML tutorials you got there... :)

Nordhbane

Exactly what I came on here looking for, thank you! Perfect timing. =)

3pointedit

Thats great to hear. I was just thinking that the FPS Override feature is a great alternative to Silent Pic shooting. But not as flexible as a stills sequence used in traditional timelapses. They offer better compression and color depth not to mention resolution. So I guess it depends on the end use.

And of course you aren't going to get 30sec exposures in this mode either!
550D on ML-roids

mexicodirk

:) he 3Pointedit

interesting
i hope you show moor how to use ML!

Thanks

Dirk
Canon EOS600D | Tokina SD 11-16 F2.8 (IF)DX | Nikkor 50mm 1.2 | SMC Pentax-M 2.8 28mm | EF 100-300mm 4.5-5.6 | EFS 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS | en construction CHRONOS 2