Dragonfly - video clip made with new 4K crop mode (5DIII)

Started by tit_toinou, May 19, 2017, 01:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tit_toinou

Hi !

Here's my latest project having fun with the new April crop mode, shooting in 3 different locations in France :

Mayu Puma - Dragonfly (ML RAW 4K - AfterCodecs 8K)

Cheers
5DIII

BBA

Wow !
Gorgeous images !

Please tell me more (oui, beaucoup ... plus que vous ne pensez) about the technical how-tos !!!
Would be much appreciated !
Thanks !

DeafEyeJedi

Indeed well done even at 12.5 FPS. Perhaps try using Twixtor next time and compare?

Thanks for sharing your work and I love your colors. Care to share your workflow?

Also notice there was heavy aliasing going on in certain areas where there are "lines" and is this due to stretching into 8K from 4K, I'm assuming?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

tit_toinou

Thanks !
Quote from: BBA on May 19, 2017, 06:39:09 PM
Wow !
Gorgeous images !

Please tell me more (oui, beaucoup ... plus que vous ne pensez) about the technical how-tos !!!
Would be much appreciated !
Thanks !
The technical side is pretty much ML RAW new crop Mode 4K ~2.35 12.5FPS MLV 14 bit, image sequence graded with Adobe Camera Raw and converted to  best quality JPG in AE (exporting with Photoshop added a little bit of flickering). I didn't have time to do this to reduce flicker : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwsUKYdChvs.. But anyway since my camera was not moving the flicker is light and looks a little bit like true Pellicule flickering :D .

The images look fine thanks to Adobe Camera Raw. The dehazing filter is beautiful. I would like to test others RAW software processors, or write my own one day.

And it was encoded out of After Effects thanks to my plugin AfterCodecs, in the next version I'm going to add WebM 8K export.

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on May 19, 2017, 09:13:32 PM
Indeed well done even at 12.5 FPS. Perhaps try using Twixtor next time and compare?

Thanks for sharing your work and I love your colors. Care to share your workflow?

Also notice there was heavy aliasing going on in certain areas where there are "lines" and is this due to stretching into 8K from 4K, I'm assuming?
Tried twixtor, never got good looking results. The aliasing might be either from Youtube downscale filters (I'm going to do tests on theses) or your client downscale filters (generally nearest neighbors :p ) if you're looking at the clip at a higher resolution than your screen. I prefer a little bit of aliasing and sharpness rather than bad video compression ;)
5DIII

nretnalcigam

The figures seem to bounce un-naturally, could we slow down the motion to make it more fluid

tit_toinou

Yeah it's 12.5 FPS played at 25 :/
I could have recorded in 2K 25FPS but I really wanted to try 4K 2.35 crop mode :)
5DIII

Earheart

It's phenq for dieting now!

tit_toinou

Thanks!
It took the whole moth of April part time when I was in theses three locations, so I would say ~10 days full time. Each shot was difficult because 1) my CF card of 16 gb can only record ~2min30 of RAW video, so I had to take the right shot the first or second time 2) I had to frame with 2.35 in the B&W crappy preview (there's not crop in post prod everything is as shot)
5DIII