HDR video workflow for mlv files

Started by Savely, May 19, 2017, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savely

Hello everybody. Is there workflow/tutorial for HDR video with mlv format? All tutorials/workflows pretty old and reference to some *mov but not mlv files so these tutorials didn't work for mlvs - I've check it.

Danne

I did a lot around HDR in MLP
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13512.0

Check page 9 and forward in the user guide.

Especially check out ffmpeg tblend filter and the averaging method. This particular workflow working with consecutive frames is really something that could be used with all HDR teqhniques to retain correct fps for instance. I didn´t have the time but thought about scripting a consecutive frame workflow with enfuse and hugin alignment filter.

Savely

I'm on Windows (((

P.S. Glad to know that dudek53 whose videos has inspired me is you )))

Anyway thanks a lot for your help!

Danne

Check out mlvp for windows. I think he is using hdr through ffmpeg tblend filter the same as I do.

Savely

Thanks again I did and finally it worked. But I do have huge problem with absolutely abnormal moir/aliasing at dual iso mode - if camera moving a little (even just from wind if on tripod) then there moir/aliasing. If I move my camera (5dMKIII) then moir/aliasing absolutely horrible - like you on acid or something... How you were able to get rid of moir/aliasing problem with this clip? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwTxM6W0D-s

DeafEyeJedi

Care to share some original samples @Savely?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

HDR and dual iso, you need to know the difference of these two processes firstly.
Regarding my footage and moiré aliasing. It´s shot in 3x crop mode and processed through acr. It´s not perfect but works fairly well being dual iso. In fact, I´m kind of intrigued to start shooting dual iso footage again with the 3,5k compressed setting which alex implemented lately. Need to find some time for this. Just started playing with the compressed 4k build yesterday.

Savely

@DeafEyeJedi Sorry, whole dual iso thing is so complicated - again and again (and again, yes) I'm trying to figure out logic in this process but fail. Sometimes with one type of settings I get decent pictures (DNGs, not CR2), and other time it just don't work... I need to do some tests and later if you'll help me it'd be very kind from your part.

@Danne I'd like to test with new crop mode too but dual iso is very complicated thing and crop mode absolutely raw and experimental so figuring it out with my pretty limited knowledge of shooting at all and english is kind of code learning - tough.

BTW I do know difference between HDR and Dual ISO very well - I'm trying to shoot Dual ISO - it doesn't work (I can't get a logic of this so even if I do decent footage now it doesn't mean I'll get also decent footage with same settings at other place), then I'm trying to shoot HDR. I do, but how to process it? Every time when I try to convert mlv HDR - any program (cr2hdr, ACR) tell me that some metadata is lost... That's why I do have questions on HDR and Dual ISO - not because I think it same (it kind of actually) but because with Dual ISO I can't get a logic of option and with HDR it can't process properly... Sorry for all of this but it's not just curiosity - I do need to make footage with wide dynamic range - wether it HDR or Dual ISO (all of them have their unique flaws).   

Danne

Ok, I see. I but your problems could be solved with a little inspecting of your files. Could you upload sample of both a dual iso and a HDR file?

Savely

Here:
Both were shot at Dual ISO. Almost same settings (just make ETTR). Both files after RawFlow+Dual ISO Processor

Good frame https://files.fm/down.php?i=vekpy6un&n=goodOne.dng
Corrupted frame: https://files.fm/down.php?i=ftcawq6r&n=strange+pattern.dng

Danne

Did you shoot with compressed module? Could you share sample MLV file?

Danne

I just developed all dng files form your provided dualiso file and it worked without any problems. Are you getting strange files with that particular sample you sent me? I´m using this version of cr2hdr for mac. What version are you using on windows?
Last update: ab1e90c on 2015-11-24 09:50:19 UTC by a1ex:

Savely

Yes, it was software problem. Thank you very much, your help was really useful. After you say your result with my footage were decent I did some footage and put it through different workflows and it does show difference! There are corrupted frames when I put footage through MLV->RawFlow->Dual ISO Processor. But there is normal DNGs when I put same footage through MLVP(with option "Dual ISO:Balanced"). So yes, it is not camera nor settings - it is software. And exactly with RawFlow.exe (all RawFlow software I think) because I did some additional test and put MLVs through MLVP but w/o embed Dual ISO correction to get interlaced DNGs. Then I put that DNGs through Dual ISO Processor and it reveal normal corrected DNGs. So I think problem with RawFlow (i use version="1.0").

For all windows user that could be a really puzzling problem when they try to shoot dual iso with crop_mode build. Currently, "right" workflow through MLVP just didn't work with crop_mode mlv files - MLVP produce pics with pink noise.

I've asked MLVP maker to make new version that can support new crop_mode MLV files but he said he can't figure out how to do that.

So currently Win users may not be able to shoot dual iso on crop_mode because of some RawFlow bag that corrupt frames seems randomly.