Advanced Menu in 2.3 on 500D? Where is "Silent Pic Hi-Res"?

Started by darethehair, August 08, 2012, 08:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darethehair

OK, I am just not seeing that I expect to see in the 2.3 menu options on my 500D.  I think part of the problem is that the menu structure has changed, and the old posts are just confusing me :(

I wanted to try 'Silent Pic Hi-Res', but my only 'Silent Picture' options seem to be 'Simple' and 'Burst'.  So then I was wondering if I needed to activate what has been called the 'Advanced Menu' option to see it, and the instructions are to press the 'Menu' key to get that.  However, on my 500D, the 'Menu' key doesn't do that -- it is for toggling between showing/hiding menu options (!).

Help, my hair is falling out!

Malcolm Debono

Not sure about silent picture (never use it), but the easy/advanced menus were dropped in version 2.3 and are now replaced by item hiding (when pressing the Menu key). The userguide does mention silent pic hi-res, but I'm not sure if it's updated.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

darethehair

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on August 08, 2012, 08:50:08 PM
Not sure about silent picture (never use it), but the easy/advanced menus were dropped in version 2.3 and are now replaced by item hiding (when pressing the Menu key). The userguide does mention silent pic hi-res, but I'm not sure if it's updated.

Thanks for confirming that there is no longer an 'easy/advanced' menu, so I'll stop looking for one :)

However, this still leaves me wondering if/how I can activate 'Silent Pic Hi-Res' as described in the docs?  Has anyone used that mode in 2.3?  If so, how did you do so?

darethehair

Still hoping for anyone that can show me where to access the menu option for 'Silent Pic Hi-Res' in ML 2.3 (?).

a1ex

DanE80

On the 60D you have to press the "Q" button to go to the sub menus.  - Not sure on the 500D.

darethehair

Quote from: a1ex on August 23, 2012, 04:08:15 PM
Hi-Res does not work on 500D.

Thanks for confirming this.  I guess I assumed that the features/docs applied for *all* cameras that could run 2.3 :(

a1ex

If something is not in the menu, then your camera doesn't have that feature.

The docs only describe all ML features. A table of what works on what camera is very difficult to maintain.