Travel to Malta - 5DIII 14bits lossless !

Started by GutterPump, May 12, 2017, 07:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GutterPump

Hello ! :)

A short video of 5 days in Malta.

All was shot in 14 bits lossless 1920x1080@30p continue
Graded in Resolve 12.5 with the Free Ektar 100 LUT

No one corrupted frame or any issues for a total of 300GB RAW.

Cheer !

Tyronetheterrible

Wow, really beautiful shots! Loved the contrast you used. And the pan / zoom motion transitions between shots were slick!

GutterPump

@Tyronetheterrible

Thanks for your feedback !

Deadcode

Very nice travel movie i really like it, so im trying to give you constructive criticism:

- atmospheric sounds even if not recorded on location, really helps to enhance the feelings. But after about the first 74 seconds they are gone. Moremoremore ambient background sounds please, i loved them!
- Warp Stabilizer is twisting the image + ghosting happens when it tries to stabilise walking, ok it happens in very short clips, but it's distracting
- nice rhythm in cuts but there are several cuts which dont fit to the "beat" why?
- i love to zoom/pan transitions, but in your movie there are several cases where these transitions are "in hurry", which means faster than it should be so dont looks  that good.
- Ektar fits very well, nice job at colorgrading.
- it feels like after the first 2 minutes you were in hurry to finish the cut. The night shots don't show anything interesting, except the awesome flare in the last shot, but the flickering ruins the image.

You shoot some beautiful images, great job!

GutterPump

Thanks you @deadcode for your comment !

I will keep in mind all your feedback.

I have to say im feel better at images shot/color grading than video editing, im learing how to make it more nice and dynamic.

Then I spent too much time on this video I think I made a kind of disgust at the end. I will do a new upload with corrections.

hyalinejim

Hey Gutterpump - great to see the Ektar lut being used! Here are some great resources that you might enjoy as an inspiration for grading:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/996705@N24/
https://vimeo.com/walknyc

Quick question - is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do those transitions? I think some of my clients would appreciate that sort of thing and it would be a good skill for me to have.

GutterPump

Thanks for your links hyalinejim ! I will take a look and fav it !

About transitions i used the chung dha's transitions preset for premiere pro.
Smooth zoom transition are free, if you want pan/tilt/diagonal smooth transition its only 5 euro, it's a good deal, you don't lose time to adjust manuely your transitions.

hyalinejim

Awesome - thank you! That's a hell of a lot of easier than building it from scratch in AE.

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks for sharing @GutterPump and it's actually wonderful to see others make great use of @hyalinejim's Ektar 100 LUT's.

I'm assuming you used this together w Cinelog-C and also chose the TWISTED version of LUT, correct?

Because it just feels so Filmiclicious like candy...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

GutterPump

Thanks you @DeafEyeJedi !

Sorry if i answer to late about your question i was a bit busy these last days.

I used the hyalinejim's Ektar 100 Landscape LUT with  the Color Management Setting of Davinci Resolve 12.5 :