Realtime video playback?

Started by Aeidxst, May 03, 2017, 11:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeidxst

Hi,

I've started using the mlv_play function recently, but I can't get it to play back my footage in realtime. In fact, it plays at about 2 fps, something that's rather useless to me. Is there a way to make it play back realtime? Can't I lower it the playback quality so it's able to play back realtime? These are my settings, in case it matters:

I'm recording 14-bit RAW video at 1856 x 1044, 23,976 fps. There are no other ML features being used, except the mlv_lite and mlv_play.

I'm using a Canon 5D Mark II, with 50mm 1.2 and 24-105mm 4.0 lenses, using SanDisk Extreme PRO as storage (64GB, 160 MB/s). No external monitors connected

This is in my ML folder > Settings > raw_rec.cfg.

# Config file for module mlv_lite (MLV_LITE.MO)

raw.video.enabled = 1
raw.write.speed = 7335

Yes, I tried Googling, but I haven't managed to find anything. Thanks in advance. I appreciate your help a lot.

ilia3101

Use raw_twk module. Also black and white should be almost realtime on the 5D2, even without raw_twk.

If not, run a benchmark to see if your card reads slow or something.

Aeidxst

Quote from: Ilia3101 on May 03, 2017, 11:35:23 PM
Use raw_twk module. Also black and white should be almost realtime on the 5D2, even without raw_twk.

If not, run a benchmark to see if your card reads slow or something.
I can't manage to find the raw_twk module. Where do I find it?

Also, what do you mean with the black and white? Do you mean it plays back faster when recorded in black and white? Or do you mean it plays back faster when the preview is in black and white? If the latter, how do I make the preview black and white?

Thanks in advance.

ilia3101

You can't record in black and white, I recorded this on my phone to show you black and white playback: https://youtu.be/F4jOUHeSCjk, sorry about the gross YouTube stock music :D

Yes, black and white is called 'fast'.

To get raw_twk you could use reddeercity's 1012bit build:
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/5D2.212/423/artifact/platform/5D2.212/magiclantern-Nightly.2016Dec19.5D2212.zip

You can take just the raw_twk module from there and paste it in to the modules folder on your card (and don't forget to enable it)... if you don't want to use the experimental (and not fully working) 10-12 bit branch.