MLVFS import to Resolve any method faster than manually selecting each folder?

Started by erikbaldwinson, May 03, 2017, 09:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikbaldwinson

Is there a method to importing mlvs into Davinci resolve that is faster than manually clicking each folder and individually adding each video file?

1TB 8 cards of footage... :*(

Cheers,
Erik

aschille84

Quote from: erikbaldwinson on May 03, 2017, 09:21:07 AM
Is there a method to importing mlvs into Davinci resolve that is faster than manually clicking each folder and individually adding each video file?
Choose davinci resolve file names, then  all folders shows up as clips in resolve.

beauchampy

You can also just highlight all the folders and drag them into the media bin.

erikbaldwinson

Selecting "Davinci Resolve file names" did not display anything in the folders.

Highlighting the folders and dragging them into the media bin works, about a 20 second delay/lockup for 128GB of mlvs - sound about right?

beauchampy

Quote from: erikbaldwinson on May 03, 2017, 10:12:09 AM
Selecting "Davinci Resolve file names" did not display anything in the folders.

Highlighting the folders and dragging them into the media bin works, about a 20 second delay/lockup for 128GB of mlvs - sound about right?

That's pretty quick. I find MLVFS substantially slower than dealing with normal DNG files.

erikbaldwinson

Quote from: beauchampy on May 03, 2017, 10:25:55 AM
That's pretty quick. I find MLVFS substantially slower than dealing with normal DNG files.

It's coming off the samsung 960pro 1TB and the playback is good but the file directory is still laggy. I was also wondering which dokany & mlvfs.exe files are the fastest. There seems to be a few different packages. ex. latest mvlfs.exe mod supporting 12bit lossless

erikbaldwinson

Now noticing that sometimes I'm getting almost no playback with some of the big MLV files, as in 20min long recordings. It'll play 2fps back. And then immediately following that suddenly other files resolve say are playing back 24fps green light stop playing back properly and are lagging intensely. I restart computer and suddenly it plays back properly?

beauchampy

Quote from: erikbaldwinson on May 03, 2017, 11:11:01 AM
Now noticing that sometimes I'm getting almost no playback with some of the big MLV files, as in 20min long recordings. It'll play 2fps back. And then immediately following that suddenly other files resolve say are playing back 24fps green light stop playing back properly and are lagging intensely. I restart computer and suddenly it plays back properly?

The bottleneck is probably MLVFS - it's CPU based and quite intensive. Try converting the same file to DNG using cr2hdr and comparing performance.

I film quite a lot of big projects in raw (2tb of MLV files is normal) and I gave up on using MLVFS as part of my workflow. Far easier to suck it up and convert to DNG.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: beauchampy on May 03, 2017, 01:13:52 PM
The bottleneck is probably MLVFS - it's CPU based and quite intensive. Try converting the same file to DNG using cr2hdr and comparing performance.

I film quite a lot of big projects in raw (2tb of MLV files is normal) and I gave up on using MLVFS as part of my workflow. Far easier to suck it up and convert to DNG.

Bang on. I can also confirm this as well. It was hard to give up MLVFS soley and stick w cr2hdr.app but can't really go wrong with taking up space (hint hint -- lossless DNG's).

Post workflow is not only quicker but much easier this way and feels more authentic.

However, I still use MLVFS together w cr2hdr.app for quick previewing especially for lossless stuff to determine if the footage is good or not.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

erikbaldwinson

Quote from: craigbeckta on May 07, 2017, 01:39:05 PM
Do you still use the DNG's in Resolve?

I am. I notice that MLVFS is always negotiating. Sometimes the big files are playing back perfectly other times a restart makes it snap to it. I haven't found perfection here but mlvfs in resolve is allowing me to avoid converting the mlvs and color correct as a final step before export which is the flexibility I was looking for.