Continuous 30fps on a 5D3?

Started by Alex Eide, April 29, 2017, 09:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Eide

Hi Folks  :D

Here I am for my first post after quite some researches... It seems the latest post on dedicated thread are from 2015...

I'm on the Nightly.2017Mar30.5D3123
With a quick benchmark (1min) I got a write speed (buffer=16384k) of 76.2 MB/s (global draw is ON) on my 128GB Lexar 1066X

I just wanted to know if someone was able to have continuous 30fps on this firmware or if it is only possible with the 113.

Thx in advance for your help  :D

Walter Schulz

Turn global draw off and run benchmark in photo mode agaiin. No other modules loaded,

Alex Eide

Thx for this reply!

Benchmark in photo mode says 120MB/s and around 115MB/s in playback mode (2nd pass)!! And didn't turn modules off except the Global Draw, Small hacks...

With global draw OFF, small hacks OFF, and the Card WarmUp ON, I can record @ more or less 85MB/s (in mlv_lite)

It seems I can't find a clear answer about the right settings to use to obtain a 30fps continuous recording...
Should I use the seetings above with the 1.1.3 firmware instead ? Should I use the cropped video module or the 12 or 10 bits module ? Or should I use mlv_rec.mo...
I'm lost... ::)

What settings are you using guys to obtain a sufficient write speed ?

Walter Schulz

Of course you can get continuous recording in 30 fps.

Interesting question is the resolution you want to run.

festr

go with experimental branch https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html which adds support for compressed RAW and you can continuously shoot even with slower CF cards.

Alex Eide

@Walter: I'd like to shoot continuously in 1920x1080 !

@festr: thx for the sharing ! I'm not sure about the fact that my CF is especially slow.. Is it a known thing about those Lexar ? Or could it be just the one I have ?
Are able to shoot continuously 1080 @ 30fps with your card for example ?

Walter Schulz

I don't think you can expect continuous 1080p30 RAW/MLV recording with main build (= without compression) to be reproducable.
If you need it *now* you have to take the risk with experimental builds.

Bandwidth required for uncompressed recording: 1920 x 1080 x 14 x 30 / 8 -> about 104 MByte/s. Not in my comfort zone ...