GPL issues with commercial app (again)

Started by martinhering, April 22, 2017, 04:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

martinhering

Yep, thank you for the correction.

@g3gg0
Any comments?
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

g3gg0

i still wanted to check it out and inspect locally, didnt have time for it yet.

but i already stumbled through the source on the web interface and wonder where you used ML code?
the only thing i could find was the GetRawPixel stuff in MLVRawImage.m.
everything else looks like it was totally rewritten from scratch.

did i miss some point?
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

martinhering

Quoteeverything else looks like it was totally rewritten from scratch.

This is what I told all along. For the vertical stripes correction however, I used the code of mlvdump as a reference. As @a1ex told me this is derivative work nonetheless and thus falls under the terms of the GPL.

To be honest it is now much easier for me to have all the MLV code under GPL. This way I don't need to care anymore about the licensing issues. I am fine with that. The only question that remains is, if it is possible now to integrate the mlvprocess binary into a commercial project and communicate over inter-process communication mechanisms. I could not find anything about that. All I can find is, that you can't dynamically or statically link a library. But XPC should be the same as starting a command line tool and sending messages over the shell conceptionally, which should be fine. Not?
5D Mark III, EOS M, 700D

g3gg0

that's the thing with derivative work.

IMHO, if you just transplant parts like stripe correction into your GPLed part, then i wouldn't feel like ML's (GPL) rights were violated.
especially when your tool has a lot more features than just the MLV->image_sequence part and stripe correction is the only thing it does.
this means the indirectly used code parts of mlv_dump and related sources are not the heart of your program.

so i'd say you are on the right track.