flash tweaks

Started by stefan0n, August 07, 2012, 08:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefan0n

Hi, ML 2.3 on 5D mk2
I can't find the menu item 'Flash tweaks' as shown in the user guide screen capture in the 'Shoot' section...
:(

a1ex

Those tweaks are for Rebel cameras ;)

AVS

What they are for? Could I use non-Canon wireless flash trigger with some of that settings?

Francis

They help control the pop-up flash, thus no menu on the 5d2.

There already are tons of non-canon wireless flash triggers that work with the 5d2. Unsure what you are asking.

AVS

Quote from: Francis on August 31, 2012, 03:15:31 PM
There already are tons of non-canon wireless flash triggers that work with the 5d2. Unsure what you are asking.
I have one of them and it works on my 50D in LV after changing the Silent Shooting mode to "[Disable]"
But on 2ti/550 it can't be disabled in native canon's menu.
The trigger works fine on 2ti/550 as well, but  not in Live View.
In ML menu I found "Flash tweaks -> Flash/no flash...3rd p. flash LV" and thought it may be a possible to make that trigger work in LV too, because it is nothing more, than just "3rd p. flash"

Francis

Should work with a trigger just as well as a flash. Did you try?

AVS

Yes, I've tried it. I checked it with trigger and 3rd party flash. It works the same. It works...but only every second shot with ML loaded, no matter LV is on or off...works stable, but it passes one full button click and then flashes on second.
Different story with canon's firmware - trigger and flash work only if LV is off, as it should be by default for t2i.
Thanks to developers, it is almost working :)  I really, really need this feature to be working.
I believe it should be submitted as a bug.

Francis

Turn off Flash/No Flash which alternates taking shots with and without flash.

3pointedit

Don't mean to hijack but I was just trying out a non canon flash. I was using portrait mode with flash on hotshoe cable. But I could not get the Live View to stay on when half pressing. For some reason it always jumped back to Canon standard screen before attempting a shot. bad for framing away from my eye.

Interesting I had not thought to try taking a silent pic with flash. My guess is I will only get a half an exposed frame...

I am using a 550D
550D on ML-roids

Francis

I would be surprised if you could trigger and sync using silent picture. Since it is just reading from the LV buffer, there is no trigger signal being sent to the hotshoe. Even if there was, like you said the sync would be off and you would only get a partially exposed frame.

AVS

Quote from: Francis on September 02, 2012, 09:44:25 AM
Turn off Flash/No Flash which alternates taking shots with and without flash.
It works, which is really great. At least, now I can use it as a backup body for studio work.
Just one thing makes me uncomfortable - T2i/550d makes a lot of "noisy clicks" in this configuration.
I have another camera 50D and it doesn't use prism/mirror in Live view mode at all. It means, when I turn on LV, mirror goes up and stays there.
T2i - turn LV on -> mirror goes up, press half button to focus -> mirror goes down, press full button -> mirror goes up and down, release button -> mirror goes up again. So, for only one shot mirror makes two whole cycles. I am not a pro, but I think this body won't live too long for this kind of usage.
Anyway, I am happy to get ML on my camera.   

nanomad

Sounds like you have quick AF on. Or maybe it is just how "flash tweak" works
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

AVS

Thanks everybody for your help.