I need a few explanations on all these RAW steroids.

Started by ItsMeLenny, April 13, 2017, 10:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsMeLenny

Excuse my ignorance as I didn't follow from the beginning of some of these topics and I'm a little confused.
When it comes to RAW video I'm seeing 10bit 12bit 14bit discussion, 3x3 crop mode discussion, 2K 3K 4K discussion, and the compressed format RAW discussion, also not sure what the two in two out discussion is.
What is compatible with what?
Also what cameras are these compatible with?
I'm looking to port it to 550D.

Also, in terms of crop mode, I know there was a crop mode unlocked for MP4 video so it would take the centre of the picture, my question at the time was does this mean that 1080p can be shot 1080p without it being upscaled, which the answer was no, it was still the same resolution upscaled just cropped in (getting rid of some moire and aliasing problems in a sense.)

Side question, where do I find the atdg module, do I have to compile it myself?
I know there was once talks of a module repository...

ilia3101

As far as I'm aware the high resolution is compatible with compression, but 10/12 bit is not compatible with compression, that's only possible in 14 bit.
Have you been following the  "3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams", you can probably get help for the 550D there from Greg and reddeercity: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.0
ADTG module is in the iso-research branch, so you'll have to compile that yourself as no one's posted any 550d builds.
Hope that was useful :)

littlebobbytables

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on April 13, 2017, 10:53:57 AM
also not sure what the two in two out discussion is
Two in two out is the method that does the lossless compression for compressed raw, see first post in that thread.
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Ilia3101 on April 13, 2017, 11:04:34 AM
you can probably get help for the 550D there from Greg and reddeercity
I spoke to dfort

Quote from: Ilia3101 on April 13, 2017, 11:04:34 AM
Hope that was useful :)
It was, still hope someone else can come along and answer the rest.

Quote from: littlebobbytables on April 13, 2017, 12:31:22 PM
Two in two out is the method that does the lossless compression for compressed raw, see first post in that thread.
Ta

I'm assuming a goal would be compression on 10bit if it's possible.

littlebobbytables

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on April 13, 2017, 02:56:57 PM

I'm assuming a goal would be compression on 10bit if it's possible.

A1ex said (in that thread I think) that that does not yet yield interesting results, but who knows in the future..
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: littlebobbytables on April 13, 2017, 04:38:14 PM
A1ex said (in that thread I think) that that does not yet yield interesting results, but who knows in the future..
Yes I saw that it doesn't compress well.

nikfreak

You better start reading this:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg183106#msg183106

he has added "somewhat fake" 8bit lossless support already. Just sayin  :P
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Teamsleepkid

Is the 8 bit lossless video? Or still pictures? What's the resolution? I'd love to see some video if someone can post a link to it on YouTube or Vimeo I wanna see it! Very exciting:)
EOS M