tricking liveView silent picture? (5dm3)

Started by spe42, May 30, 2017, 07:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spe42

Just wondering/thinking out loud here: I prefer shooting through the eyepiece on my 5d, however, "in a (my) perfect world" it'd be possible to use the silent shutter feature without having to buy one of those fancy back screen eye piece things to keep the screen visible in broad daylight. I was just shooting at the beach, and I wound up shooting without silent picture because I couldn't see what I was doing, but I'd love it if I could mess around with the module.
So, bearing in mind that I am describing this merely from my superficial understanding of how the liveview function works (just by looking at the camera), my thought/question is this:
is it possible to to separate the functionality of the liveview feature into "that which enables silent picture" and "that which must move the mirror away from the eyepiece?"
And I suppose more immediately, should I be posting this instead in the "feature request" section? I mainly want to know if it's possible, but if it is, then I would certainly be pleased if someone did decide to take this upon themselves. Thanks.
the wrong man for thhe wrong job

Walter Schulz

Liveview/Silent pic in Canon DSLRs does have to have "mirror up" and "shutter open".
You want to use eyepiece view which (in Canon DSLRs) requires "mirror down".

In quantum mechanics world this might be not exclusive. In Canon DSLRs it is.

spe42

the wrong man for thhe wrong job

a1ex

Actually you can - if you take a silent picture with the mirror down, you'll get a ... dark frame.

Walter Schulz

a1ex

Given enough exposures, you can probably conclude the mirror is actually semi-transparent :D