A Magic Lantern Discord?

Started by ItsMeLenny, April 10, 2017, 02:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsMeLenny

I know the ML IRC is used quite a bit but Discord seems to be the place things are moving to.
There are other IRC rooms that are completely dead yet their Discord is quite lively in text chat.
Plus there's been times I've had to set up temp voice chats online to try to guide people through things.

a1ex

While this topic didn't get much attention, the Discord channel started by 200D folks gained significant momentum - much more active than the IRC channel.

Quote from: jack001214 on January 29, 2020, 07:43:47 PM
https://discord.gg/yBurP7a

Quote from: coon on September 16, 2020, 05:21:29 PM
If so, feel free to join us on our unofficial discord server: https://discord.gg/uaY8akC

Would it be a good idea to make it official, or are there any concerns (such as being a closed platform, privacy or whatever) ?

names_are_hard

I don't trust Discord for archiving, and the search functionality is a bit lacking generally.  I view it as very useful for discussion, forming ad-hoc rooms, sharing photos etc.  Not that useful for recording progress.

I think it works well if, when important progress is made, it's recorded on this forum, in code repos, or the wiki.  Then it doesn't get lost if Discord changes terms or gets bought out.

yourboylloyd

I say either go all the way with it and make it the official ML discord, or get rid of it.

There are a lot of people that use discord as communication, and more and more talented developers are using that ML discord to test things everyday. Making it public might actually attract more people.

If it were exclusive then that would define magiclantern as exclusive. Test and chat there - post results on forum seems like a good idea
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

Danne

Quote from: names_are_hard on September 25, 2020, 08:38:36 PM
I don't trust Discord for archiving, and the search functionality is a bit lacking generally.  I view it as very useful for discussion, forming ad-hoc rooms, sharing photos etc.  Not that useful for recording progress.

I think it works well if, when important progress is made, it's recorded on this forum, in code repos, or the wiki.  Then it doesn't get lost if Discord changes terms or gets bought out.
+1

reddeercity

Quote from: names_are_hard on September 25, 2020, 08:38:36 PM

+1 also

Audionut

The "chat archive bot" should take care of archive issues, right?

ItsMeLenny

Wow. Replies.
Including unhelpul +1 spams  :P
I don't think anybody is using discord as archives. At the time it was something I needed to help newcomers, everything else would've as usual stayed in any forum category. I don't think  there is any software development taking official feature requests through discord.

Thanks for the discord links, I will check them out!