Battery calibration

Started by george, April 10, 2017, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

george

It is well known that different batteries have different discharge curves (see https://blog.lexa.ru/2017/04/03/o_sortah_lp_e6.html for some examples—text is in Russian but plots are quite self-explanatory). This fact leads to errors in predicting remaining battery life.

My idea is to calibrate batteries by measuring their actual characteristics and storing them, say, in ML config file. It would be possible if a battery has any unique ID readable by ML. The workflow for calibration may be as following:

1. Fully charge a battery.
2. Put camera in some special calibration mode—discharge the battery in a controlled manner and write its properties to file.
3. When a battery is exhausted, the calibration is complete.
4. Repeat for all batteries in use with the camera.
5. Copy config to all memory cards in use with the camera.

This approach allows not only to show correct percentage values but also to estimate an approximate remaining time of the battery operation.

a1ex

Easy to do with a Lua script.

More ideas: consider other variables (such as display brightness, LiveView, frame rate, rec/standby times, photos captured etc) for a more accurate prediction based on current usage.

Looking forward to your results ;)

george

Thanks a1ex,

I'm afraid I have not enough time to dive into this in near future.

If someone has made such a script already, please share. If I write it, I'll share for sure.

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: a1ex on April 10, 2017, 01:15:54 PM
Easy to do with a Lua script.

More ideas: consider other variables (such as display brightness, LiveView, frame rate, rec/standby times, photos captured etc) for a more accurate prediction based on current usage.

Looking forward to your results ;)

+1
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109