Obituary: 7D

Started by Walter Schulz, April 07, 2017, 07:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

During today's outdoor shooting in cold weather my 7D stopped working.
Replacing battery doesn't help and there was no sign of electrons floating.
Diagnostic autoexec.bin didn't work either.

It took long to get ML for this cam and now it ends.

The cam is survived by 350D and 650D.

garry23

@Walter Schulz

My condolences for the loss of an old friend  ;)

Greg

Walter Schulz

Not at all. G3gg0 owns a 7D and yours truly can not code ARM to save his life.

garry23

@Walter Schulz

Just a thought, you had better get yourself a second hand 5D3 before they go up in price because of the latest '4K' developments  ;)

DeafEyeJedi

Where do you live again @Walter Schulz? I can try finding some decent used 7D body for you to scoop up off online, if at all possible.

Just snatched up a used 5D3 (over 101K shutter counts) for a mere $1K off from Craiglist earlier this week just because I had similar and yet predictable thoughts as @garry23 re: street prices of 5D3 going up (and soon others) when it all becomes even more robust sooner or later w 4K crop_rec stuff.

I also smell continuous recordings for at least up to 2.5K on the 7D w 14-bit lossless in the not too distance future.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

Or this one... Seems too good to be true?  :o

https://london.craigslist.co.uk/pho/6010510923.html

Only if I had lived out there then I woulda coulda shoulda...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

goldenchild9to5

Think it's fake.. or it maybe stolen.

Walter Schulz

Thanks for your help.
5D3 was out of scope before a1ex' latest achievments. Not going to invest in full frame gear. I'm into stills. Video not so much.

Used 7Ds are about 435€ and below where I live.
Will look after blown fuses first. A soldering wizard is at hand.

tigerbengal2009

If you do more stills than video, Walter get a full frame camera....there is no a perfect camera, but right now with all the development, a 5d mark III is awesome, professional level for stills and great for video THANKS TO ML TEAM!!!.
You are a great helper here in ML, I see you answering questions over and over, I would be more than happy to contribute to you so you can get a 5d mark III, fund me, or paypal either one , still if you don't want to do that save the most you can and at least get a 6d, I know this one is not very good for ml, or maybe a 5d mark II, what kind of lenses you like to use? manual vintage? autofocus? the canon 24-105 is not that expensive and is decent for stills, for video the IS help a lot too, you can use contax lenses for video with adapters....

Walter Schulz

I have to repeat myself: I'm not going full-frame. Period.
5D3 is covered well, I'm not a programmer and I cannot justify the price gap (delta > 1000 €) for things I don't have any use of.

I will not accept any contributions.

tigerbengal2009

Understood Walter, only trying to help.
if you need parts for your camera,  let's say the the company will not ship outside the EEUU, you can send them to me and I will ship it to you.
I don't know I will be more than happy to help you in any way.

Greg

It's a sign to start Digic 6 port.

Walter Schulz

Canon's Digic 6 lineup is tempting indeed.
But quoting myself:
If there is no ML port for your cam: Act like there will be no ML for your cam ever.

simonm

Walter, you write like a man who knows a lot of stuff, but anyway: fuses are there for protecting stuff and providing a warning. If it is a blown fuse, find out why it blew if you can, as just replacing the fuse may let something more expensive become damaged.

I understand what you say about the cost of full frame, very well! I went digital slowly, and bought lenses that still covered the 24x36mm area (I had Pentax, and they didn't make a full-frame body back then).

My kit was stolen; the insurers talked me into Canon (it's only really because of ML that I'm glad they did!). Ten years or so on, I now have a 6D body, and I swallowed hard when I bought it because of the cost. It's not perfect, but I had forgotten how much I liked the shallow depth of field, and being able to crop more agressively (yes, I know it's two sides of the same coin!).

I only have three issues with the 6D: battery life, slow shutter (fastest is 1/4000) and size+weight. If you grew up with 35mm, all digital SLRs are too big and heavy! In every other respect it's wonderful, especially using ML, for things like focus peaking and exposure checking.

I am reminded that my first 35mm camera, a Zeiss Ikon from 1935 (that my dad gave me!), had a fastest shutter speed of 1/250, and a lens with no coatings, and would only fit on a tripod upside down! And you had to cock the shutter manually. It did at least have a cable release socket though!

We work within the limitations of what we have, but I wouldn't want to go back to APS-size unless I was doing more limited work. The 6D is a compromise, compared to the 5D series, but it is smaller and lighter, and on balance, I like it a lot. You might, too.

I understand: losing a camera body is like losing an old friend - you are used to it as a companion. But we have to move on sometimes.