3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams

Started by reddeercity, April 06, 2017, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masc

Nobody wrote it is continous. I would expect around 115MB/s.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

I suggest an eos m if you want a cheap way to test out 1x3 binning @far.in.out https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25781.0
If you want to help developing digic 4 I guess the 50D and would be a good choice. Prepare for some heavy digging.

far.in.out

@masc Damn, you're right.

I wonder why there's so little interest in 50D.
It's cheap (around $125), it writes at 70MBs per sec out of the box and it's 15MP, so it has the lowest res sensor and therefore a chance of having the lowest crop factor.
Yet there seems to be more action around other cameras.
Again, am I missing something? What are the advantages of the newer cams?

@Danne Thanks for the hint. The thing is, the cheapest EOS M that I can find is around $300 while 650D/700D is around $200. Is there any particular reason why the M is a better choice? Is it the most active port?
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

Danne

far.in.out

Maybe that's just my location, maybe it's different elsewhere.
What about the other questions?
What is the difference between those cams? What are the advantages? I thought they all were pretty similar. 40MB SD bottleneck, 18MP, similar CPUs. Is it the newer Digic that makes them better then 50D? Lossless compression? What else?
I don't know which cam to get now)
EOS M (was 600D > 50D)

Danne

5D3  and eos m are solid to me.
Check this section:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=66.0

Usually when someone works hard on a cam it gets better and better. digic 4 lacks lossless and digic 5 works generally better.
Shouldn´t be too hard to get a picture of which cams are good at what simply by following forum posts.

2blackbar

yup Danne is responsible for M price bump  :P , its because of great magic lantern support for it, people are discovering it does almost 3k raw in crop.
I remember buying M for around 150 euro with kit lens in 2014 and i sold kit lens, i think like 2 years ago ive seen m going for 100 as well but now they want as much as for 5DII.

Skinny

Actually 5D2 can record 1x3 video, here is a way to enable 1x3 for it

Quote from: reddeercity on September 29, 2020, 07:49:50 AM
Ok here we go , 5k ([email protected]) 1x3 setup with the adtg_gui module  and yes it can take up to 15min to setup , if you get it to work on the first try (without a battery pull) you're dong good  :D
The audio is a little low , sorry  :-[ forgot to gain the audio up when i captured it to my hdmi aja captured card from my HV20 .
let my know if it's problem , I can always upload a new version with gained up audio .   

But it was never made into a preset, apparently it's not that simple...

Markjinli

I am new user,can you pack full file in one zip/rar :'( :'(
Mo file is dispersion :'( :'( :'( :'(

reddeercity

Hi all , i'm just about ready to resume development , in the process of moving/buying a house in a different community (small town, no stress  :D
Plus my main development computer mother board burned up  :( (FX8350 over clock to 4.9Ghz)
So instead trying to find a new/used FX board i bought (in the process of assembling) Intel 10th Gen. i7-10700K (LGA1200) (16 thread CPU)
on a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G mother board with 32GB DDR4 3600MHz Hyperx Predator Kingston Ram .
Yea i when to the dark side  :P :P :P , but the new AMD's don't impress me .

So soon i'll be up & running , i still have a dev environment on my old i5 dell laptop (M430) but it's slow specially when compiling ML.
My foucus is CF Card over clocking (75/80 to 120Mb/s) on D4 Cams  https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg207053#msg207053
Using ://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/branch/hdparm before bitbucket stop.

After that I'll take a run at Lossless compression/MLV_Lite again , I was close before but i know i missed something .

There some small thing i would like to fix with the crop_record module on D4's (ATDG reg's are not being applied & or locks up cam)
on both 5D2 & 50D.

After that i what to jump in to the D6 Cams mainly 5D4 and get ML running so it can be used (no including raw video as this is very difficult right now)

I'll try and catch up on the older post questions , so hang in there D4 user's  ;)

One last thing , the new intel mother board has 2 M.2 PICe4x SSD slots
just wondering what other people are using , eg. brand & size
I what to load win's on it and make it a working drive for Raw Video & Adobe After Effect CS6, i hoping it will read in realtime or close to it.
Or is it better just to boot to a Sata3 SSD for wins and just use the M.2 ssd as just a Volume drive.

Volumetrik

Glad to have you back ! Congratulations on the house ! That's a pretty big machine you got there. After a lot of research, I figured that the SN750 NvMe drives from WD were the top option considering price. I have a 1TB SN750 and it's blazing fast. I also have a regular 1TB SATA SSD for my ML scratchpad files. The Samsung NvMe 970 EVO plus use more power than the SN750 and can heat up quicker. There are frequent deals for SN750's for 150-155$ CAD and I think that's a steal for that kind of performance and storage.

You'll see that MLVFS is slow for 5.7K ana and 3.5k files (5D3) because it looks like it's a single-threaded process and is outputting low amounts of data per sec. Also using almost 100% of one CPU thread. However, regular 1080p, I had no issues with scrubbing. If you dump the MLV contents via MLVAPP instead and access the folder with DNG's, even 5.7K and 3.5k DNG's load up fine and have no scrubbing issues with a SATA SSD.

I became frustrated with the lack of GPU accel on after effects even though I much prefer ACR's rendering of raw files vs Resolve. Even with a 3900x (12 cores & 24 threads), the export was 1-2 fps with 50% core utilization in AE. In resolve though, I could export ridiculously fast at 24-30fps with GPU accel on my 3070 and made things so much easier like scrubbing and color correction. Curious to see what you think about that

yourboylloyd

Quote from: reddeercity on May 20, 2021, 10:29:30 PM

One last thing , the new intel mother board has 2 M.2 PICe4x SSD slots
just wondering what other people are using , eg. brand & size

Any M.2 NVME that had the SABRENT brand on it is amazing. I own so many of those drives now and they have reliably performed for me. The 4TB Q version is my go to, but the 2TB is perfect as well.

Quote from: Volumetrik on May 21, 2021, 05:07:37 PM

I became frustrated with the lack of GPU accel on after effects even though I much prefer ACR's rendering of raw files vs Resolve. Even with a 3900x (12 cores & 24 threads), the export was 1-2 fps with 50% core utilization in AE. In resolve though, I could export ridiculously fast at 24-30fps with GPU accel on my 3070 and made things so much easier like scrubbing and color correction. Curious to see what you think about that

I love ACR too but I hated ACR as the bottleneck. It would take wayy too long to render. Resolve is faster, but I'm using the R6 now with 10bit log so I don't really have those problems anymore. 5D2's Raw is still sooooo good though and it's hard NOT to shoot with it sometimes on more artsy shoots. Would love to see more GPU accel on AE.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

reddeercity

Quote from: yourboylloyd on May 21, 2021, 06:58:27 PM
Any M.2 NVME that had the SABRENT brand on it is amazing.
Unfortunately SABRENT M.2 are not on the supported list for my Gigabyte mother board

Quote from: yourboylloyd on May 21, 2021, 06:58:27 PM
I love ACR too but I hated ACR as the bottleneck. It would take wayy too long to render. ..... Would love to see more GPU accel on AE.
When i was on the Adobe cloud "CC" there was GPU accel for After Effects & Premiere Pro but it cost monthly and that add up

reddeercity

That's a pretty big machine you got there. After a lot of research, I figured that the SN750 NvMe drives from WD were the top option considering price. I have a 1TB SN750 and it's blazing fast. I also have a regular ....
There are frequent deals for SN750's for 150-155$ CAD 
Thanks
This one is  supported by Gigabyte
I just order 1 from amazon ($154.00CAD)  10min before i wrote this post 
with tax came to $161.00 CAD , should be here by next Friday.   :)

With CS6 AE On my 2013 MacPro Hackintoss  i7 3770k (overclocked to 4.7GHz)  16GB ram , on After Effect I was averaging 3-4 frames/s @ 1080p/24fps
That was from the (4x2TB disk) 6TB Raid5 box thought  ATTO PCIe-x4 SaS card to the SSD
I had .75GB per thread of the CPU (x8) in the multi threading configtion  , it only limited by how much ram you have 
AE loves ram the more the better & the faster it works.
I hope i can get more with the new computer  :D

Volumetrik

Quote from: reddeercity on May 22, 2021, 05:32:00 AM
With CS6 AE On my 2013 MacPro Hackintoss  i7 3770k (overclocked to 4.7GHz)  16GB ram , on After Effect I was averaging 3-4 frames/s @ 1080p/24fps
That was from the (4x2TB disk) 6TB Raid5 box thought  ATTO PCIe-x4 SaS card to the SSD
I had .75GB per thread of the CPU (x8) in the multi threading configtion  , it only limited by how much ram you have 
AE loves ram the more the better & the faster it works.
I hope i can get more with the new computer  :D

Interesting, I'll try messing in the multi threaded option in AE. I have 24 threads, so I guess I'll do 1.25gb/thread.

I'll try the 1080p/24 with my current rig : 5900x + 32GB Dual Rank 3733Mhz CL16 + SN850 Pcie4.0 SSD to see what frame rate I get. It would be interesting to compare our results. Maybe I can download your MLV so we can render the same file directly to compare ?

reddeercity

All my files and gear is all pack away right (getting ready to move) i'll see if i can find a older mlv on my work laptop for on site shoots.

reddeercity

Quote from: far.in.out on March 26, 2021, 08:29:35 PM
How can you do 3760x1080 @ 23.976fps with 1x1 on 50D? Am I missing something? That's how many MBs per second?
It in the Crop_Record module just like the 5D2 , You need to download the Crop_Record module
https://bitbucket.org/reddeercity/crop_rec_5d2_50d/downloads/magiclantern-eXperimental-crop-rec_3.7k-1x1.11.30pm.2020Aug16.50D109.zip

theBilalFakhouri

Hello there!

Any source code for crop_rec? I need to know what stubs do 5D2 & 50D use for MEM_ENGIO_WRITE

thebailey

Yay reddeercity, you're back!

If you get lossless compression working for 5Dii, that would be such a game changer.

I've gone through posts related to HDMI out, and it seems like although it syncs to 1920x1080, because it is linked to what the cam screen shows, it will always have black bars, even in crop mode. Such a shame. In all your deep dives into registers, you've never found something that would allow full 1:1 pixel 1920x1080 with no bars? If black bars are compulsory, would it be possible to anamorphically squeeze 1920x1080 into 1650x1080 for less wasted pixels in final 16:9 footage? For livestreaming concerts, that would be a godsend.

Not the right forum, but if anyone has hints on good affordable HDMI to USB capture cards or what 256Gb CF card you can still buy with 5Dii raw level write speeds, I'd love recommendations.

Lastly reddeercity, for all the useful stuff you do, I'm sure lots of people would donate to your coffee / computer parts fund by Paypal if you have one?

reddeercity

Quote from: thebailey on June 08, 2021, 06:04:11 PM
Yay reddeercity, you're back!
........ If black bars are compulsory, would it be possible to anamorphically squeeze 1920x1080 into 1650x1080 for less wasted pixels in final 16:9 footage?
No , short answer .
It maybe possible , but I need to go thought the UART so I can research HDMI configurations and how to manipulate it
(I did get some good DM log file from previous research and this too
Understanding MotionJpeg & h264 routines for Digic 4 but need to go on a deep drive in the the motion jpeg chip where the HDMI comes from)
if I can understand the mjpeg chip calls totally with out guess work then we should have control & be able to write code to override the limitation
Quote from: thebailey on June 08, 2021, 06:04:11 PM
Lastly reddeercity, for all the useful stuff you do, I'm sure lots of people would donate to your coffee / computer parts fund by Paypal if you have one?
No , just donate to Magic Lantern so a1ex can come back sooner  :D

reddeercity

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on May 26, 2021, 07:17:39 PM
Hello there!

Any source code for crop_rec? I need to know what stubs do 5D2 & 50D use for MEM_ENGIO_WRITE
in the process of moving right now , so all development  files are packed up , it was on bitbucket before they deleted it
Plus my FX pc mother board blow up , and it have all my files in a VM so it could be difficult getting them out of the old SSD .
Could be many mouths , not sure maybe fall .

theBilalFakhouri

No worries reddeercity, good luck!

I found a workaround for MEM_ENGIO_WRITE, not needed anymore . .

An147

Hi guys! I have a problem with 48fps mode - I managed to shoot it without working LiveView (just black screen and debug overlay that shows recording process, estimated  frames etc.).
But when I opened the video in MLV App - every even frame is empty (2nd, 4th, 6th etc..):
https://prnt.sc/1aavrxg
What am I doing wrong? MLV Preview is Auto, Aspect Ration 1:1, entered 48fps mode with 3.5K 1:1 right before it (like in instruction).

reddeercity

Turn off Auto preview and use Grey preview and refresh Liveview
User "Skinny" in this post explains how to enable 48fps preset easily 
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19336.msg224056#msg224056

ShittyWebsite

Is there anything for 7D? i have one but could not find anything