3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams

Started by reddeercity, April 06, 2017, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddeercity

Quote from: Milk and Coffee on September 18, 2020, 04:11:14 AM
mlv_play isn't working and causes no modules to load.
Any way to fix this easily?
Done :)

5D2_mlv_play+raw_twk_10-3-2020_8.18pm.zip

Fixed problems with raw_twk & mlv_play modules on my D4/5D2 4k Crop_Rec branch .
Tested it in 3x3(1880x1258) , crop_rec 3.5k centered preset(2784x1160) & 3x1 4k anamorphic (4096x590)
there's all view ok in camera , except for 3x1 4k there noise/snow on the bottom half of the screen .
(the anamorphic part of the code is not vertically stretching the image need to look further in the code) but still viewable .
Make sure you load both module's in the zip file , that's it . when you what to view a file just press the > play button 

edit:Updated the first post of this thread with the mlv_play & raw_twk module download links also

Igor_Braun

@Reddeercity
COOL!!!

Pulling out my red-hot СF card, I can tell that I had a sucsess and got 4896x1828 23.976 video after post processing.
https://youtu.be/0wZ3TA-6mLQ

I noticed that it's not a "proper framing", it's proper aspect ratio, because we see only this area in the preview:

In the video with the laptop i saw only the keyboard and the touchpad.

Also i was getting red blinking message through all the adjustment process:
[56]  light measure stack overflow free:0 used:512

And could not enable 180 degree shutter, only 1/45 or 1/50

Milk and Coffee

Quote from: reddeercity on October 04, 2020, 04:52:17 AM

5D2_mlv_play+raw_twk_10-3-2020_8.18pm.zip

Fixed problems with raw_twk & mlv_play modules on my D4/5D2 4k Crop_Rec branch .
Tested it in 3x3(1880x1258) , crop_rec 3.5k centered preset(2784x1160) & 3x1 4k anamorphic (4096x590)
there's all view ok in camera , except for 3x1 4k there noise/snow on the bottom half of the screen .
(the anamorphic part of the code is not vertically stretching the image need to look further in the code) but still viewable .
Make sure you load both module's in the zip file , that's it . when you what to view a file just press the > play button 

edit:Updated the first post of this thread with the mlv_play & raw_twk module download links also

Reddeercity, thank you so much sir!! 🙏🙏
Canon 5D Mark II, Mac/OSX

Skinny

Quote from: reddeercity on October 04, 2020, 04:52:17 AM
Awesome!! Thank you so much! It's a really big usability improvement for this build

NHCD

hi
sorry im quite new to ML, is there a combined link (1 file rar only) for 10bit recording for 5d2 ? which i just have to unrar and make a boot in camera ?
i see an experimental version 10 12 bit but not sure it is the same.
a little confusing with patch files, as english is not my  native language also.
thank you so much and kudos for such effort :)

reddeercity

Here a little video about mlv_play & raw_twk module's on the 5D2 , shot on my 50D at10bit  1x3 1376x1742 ->4128x1742 @ 24fps , exported though A.E. C.S.6
youtube still processing the 4k stream but it up at 1080p right now

reddeercity

One  more video , Here's how to enable 48p preset every time , start off in 3.5k Centered preset (2784x1160) , re-fresh liveview then go directly to 48p preset , that's it .
shot on my 50D 1x3 4k (1376x1742 -> 4128x1742 in A.E. CS6 acr to prores 422hq , which is the uploaded file .

SKecorius

Thanks for the tutorials! It really helps.

I was reading that you are interested in 5Dmiv or other camera. Does this mean your development on 5DmII will stop/slow?
Can 5DmII users still expect lossless compression?

Best!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: NHCD on October 05, 2020, 01:10:23 PM
i see an experimental version 10 12 bit but not sure it is the same.

I think if you are looking for a build able to record in 10 bit a build labeled to do 10 bit would do just fine.

Karmaschinken

Hello nice people.

I bought one of the first 5D MkII some years ago and tried Magic Lantern too, but then stopped working with my camera. Now due to Corona I need to use my 5D2 for filming again, since I can't afford a new camera.

I would like to do some tabletop clips and want to get the best quality. Now when I installed Magic Lantern some years ago, it was starting to be capable of recording RAW. But now it seems it can do much more?

If you don't mind, could anyone give me a short glance of what happened here? I have to get the camera ready until tomorrow. I installed the newest Magic Lantern but did not succeed to make it film e.g. Full HD RAW at 25 or 30 fps.

I obviously failed to find a complete install for all the new software that is developed here, I don't even understand what is possible. So my question is: Is there a short description here of what can be done with the software and is there a complete stable setup with all modules?

What is filming with crop, what is this 1:1? I saw the videos above, does crop read out e.g. only the upper part of the sensor?

Most important for me: Can someone please help me make at least Full HD filming in RAW work? I have a Komputerbay 1000x 64GB. I don't have the time to read though the 55 pages of this thread until tomorrow, so I'd appreciate help very much! Thanks!

thebailey

Quote from: Karmaschinken on October 27, 2020, 07:41:19 AM
Hello nice people.

I bought one of the first 5D MkII some years ago and tried Magic Lantern too, but then stopped working with my camera. Now due to Corona I need to use my 5D2 for filming again, since I can't afford a new camera.

I would like to do some tabletop clips and want to get the best quality. Now when I installed Magic Lantern some years ago, it was starting to be capable of recording RAW. But now it seems it can do much more?

If you don't mind, could anyone give me a short glance of what happened here? I have to get the camera ready until tomorrow. I installed the newest Magic Lantern but did not succeed to make it film e.g. Full HD RAW at 25 or 30 fps.

I obviously failed to find a complete install for all the new software that is developed here, I don't even understand what is possible. So my question is: Is there a short description here of what can be done with the software and is there a complete stable setup with all modules?

What is filming with crop, what is this 1:1?

Most important for me: Can someone please help me make at least Full HD filming in RAW work? I have a Komputerbay 1000x 64GB. I don't have the time to read though the 55 pages of this thread until tomorrow, so I'd appreciate help very much! Thanks!

This is a development thread, so general use questions probably won't be welcomed here. The most advanced 5Dii builds are to be found here, but most with only one aspect of the camera enhanced at the cost of useability and stability. If you 'need' a reliable camera, you're stuck with general builds or the default 5Dii video.

The camera sensor is 5000 X 4000 ish, and there's no chance of recording the values of all those pixels at 24+fps so you either lower the frame rate, or you throw out pixels. One way is to throw out pixels on the borders, so using the central ones (1:1) for a smaller sensor but a pretty perfect image. Or you can throw out every second or third pixel in the horizontal or vertical directions so you end up with stripes that span the whole sensor, which deinterlacing algorithms can deal with (but more image artifacts, moire especially).

In general, you can get 'reliable no dropped frames' for a few seconds, 'risk of some dropped frames' for a minute or so for 10bit 1080p(ish) at 24fps.

I'd check the amazing work done by Reddeercity recently, check his YouTube videos for links to the right firmware and guides, but only if you can re-film and spend time getting the settings right as this is bleeding edge.

Karmaschinken

Thanks for your reply. I see that this is the bleeding edge of the progress, yes. However I really would like to get the best out of the camera and it is quite hard to find the right download links from the first page, these are only the newest modules, right? Should I install the "official" Magic Lantern and then put these modules on top? All I need is e.g. 4 seconds of recording at Full HD, it would be ok to drop some frames. Could you maybe point me to a complete install of ML where the basic RAW recording capabilities are implemented?

The last one seems to be this from 2018? Is this the basic install and do I have to drop the development modules on top of that? Thanks! Martin

Dnhilos

Hello,

I've been trying out the 10/12-bit video on the 5dm2 but once converted with MLV Converter 1.9.2 and imported into resolve, all I get is noise.
The 14 bit works fine.

Am I missing something?

yourboylloyd

Quote from: Karmaschinken on October 27, 2020, 08:09:56 AM
The last one seems to be this from 2018? Is this the basic install and do I have to drop the development modules on top of that? Thanks! Martin

Just watch ZEEK's video. He explains everything and he has download links in the description https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQHPUMQQJx8&ab_channel=Zeek
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

2blackbar

Dave can You enable audio recording by default ? Ive lost important audio because of it today, i forgot that fresh install has disabled audio, im sure im not only one who thinks its probably just a joke to piss people off, its a weird choice to turn it off so you have to enable it... it happened too many times when ive lost audio on 5d2.

Theproblem is ,when camera shuts itaself or hangs then settings are reset to default, then sound is turned off again, thats super annoying and lost me important shots without realizing.

Igor_Braun

2blackbar

My daughter starts talking first words , these are important.
Its just strange that sound is disabled when switching to raw recording and you have to enable it.
Also i see its hard to find working version now, there are just forlders with modules and nothing else in them, main ML files are somewhere else in other links , i have no idea which version is most recent one for 5D2, maybe it has sound on from getgo with RAW.
First post is super confusing now.
I know it comes out whiney but i spent over hour just on figuring out which build i have to get from all the links in first post to have new modules working and i did not succeed cause they are all separated, i had to load some of the older builds onto cf card.

Igor_Braun

Man, I perfectly understand you, but because you told about personal details that are important to you I have to remind, you should remember that this is developer threat. I bet, that the most part of those who use these builds doesn't need in-camera sound recording.

Macke1

i tried to install from Zeek´s download (Youtube). But im getting errors on all moviemodules. Im on 5d markii 2.1.2. Where can i find Another download link to the same build?

masc

The builds which are mentioned in this thread are still on the first post and never moved. Standard (nightly) builds can be found in the download section, as always.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

ZEEK

Quote from: Macke1 on November 20, 2020, 07:22:20 PM
iBut im getting errors on all moviemodules. Im on 5d markii 2.1.2.
Errors will happen if the wrong Module has been enabled. E.g. MLV_Rec
EOS M

SKecorius

Hi guys,

Although its most likely a rudimentary knowledge, I still would like to ask:

I have installed "magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit.2019Mar24.5D2212.zip" from https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html onto my 5DmkII. It runs well, with 14bit video at max resolution lasting for over 20 sec (I stopped recording after this time).

I would like to try crop_rec module, thus I have downloaded "5D2-4k1x3-3k1x1-2.8k1x1-48pfhd3x3_7-10-2020_8.42pm_crop_rec" from reddeercity. When extracted, there is only one file - "crop_rec.mo". The question is - can I just place this module into modules folder on existing ML card with previously mentioned ML version? Or shall I completely re-install ML? If so, which ML version for installation shall I pick?

Also, I have two CF cards. I would like to have ML on both of them. Do I need to install (download ML files onto card, go through camera menu to update firmware) for each CF card? Since ML runs from CF card, I would assume "YES". However, I am not entirely certain about that. I would like to have one CF card with Nightly build, and another one with crop_rec module for higher resolutions.

Perhaps this helps someone in the future.

Thanks!

Skinny

you need to download this ML build from december:
https://bitbucket.org/reddeercity/crop_rec_5d2_50d/downloads/crop_rec-4k3x1-2.8k24p_3x3-48p-all-centered_8.18pm-5D2-eXperimental.2019Dec31.5D2212.zip

then, download new mlv_rec.mo
https://bitbucket.org/reddeercity/crop_rec_5d2_50d/downloads/1880_3x3-2152_5xZoom-5d2_7-5-2020-5.59pm-mlv_rec.zip
and place it into "modules"

then download new crop_rec.mo
https://bitbucket.org/reddeercity/crop_rec_5d2_50d/downloads/5D2-4k1x3-3k1x1-2.8k1x1-48pfhd3x3_7-10-2020_8.42pm_crop_rec.zip
and also place it into modules

and finally download
https://bitbucket.org/reddeercity/crop_rec_5d2_50d/downloads/5D2_mlv_playraw_twk_10-3-2020_8.18pm.zip
and add it too.

All those links are from the first post.
This way you'll get all latest features.. Except the 5k build, which can only be used separately.

QuoteDo I need to install (download ML files onto card, go through camera menu to update firmware) for each CF card?
well you can use a program called EOScard, I use it all the time. Copy ML files to the card, launch this program and click ML, save. done. no need to go through camera update process.
https://pel.hu/eoscard/

pyffi

SKecorius

Thanks a lot, Skinny! One more thing - when installing ML through camera menu, it creates ROM, which is suggested to save in case there will be some problems in the future. Will EOScard utility do the same?

Also, if I replace my current CF card with ML on it with a new CF (without ML) - would camera function normally as if no ML had been installed? And in the same manner - could I have multiple CF cards with different ML builds and just swap them without any other actions to be taken?

Cheers!