3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams

Started by reddeercity, April 06, 2017, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igor_Braun

@reddeercity
Divine...  :D
1 png frame from the video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nB00fawDLep-4uCd0ean_9aJUUVe_1xY/view?usp=sharing

It works great. I think it can be useful only with timelapses or interior shootings with motorized sliders with very low-speed movement (when you set A point and B point and it slides extremely slow) and make it 6-8 times faster to get 25 or 30 fps. But for this, i think it should be 16:9. And it records only 15 sec now. Don't know if it's usable mode but it's very very interesting!

Bender@arsch

5.6K works realy nice!
I've been waiting for it for a long time. I record some Tests and the result is realy awesome. Great job;)
The only problem is the shutterspeed. I can only choose 1/4s, 1/5s and 1/6s. (Camera setting: 1/30, 1/50 and 1/100. below and above nothing changes). Ah, and audio doesn't work^^

@2blackbar
15sec? In 10bit i can record continuous at 70-74mb/s.

@Reddeercity
Is it possible to get some more selection of shutterspeed? It is much easier to record on daylight.

reddeercity

Quote from: Bender@arsch on January 03, 2020, 02:39:04 AM
The only problem is the shutterspeed. I can only choose 1/4s, 1/5s and 1/6s. (Camera setting: 1/30, 1/50 and 1/100. below and above nothing changes). Ah, and audio doesn't work^^
Yea I didn't think audio would work , maybe because liveview is at 4fps not sure .
I have a look at the shutter speed , just did a quick test to make sure it worked  but I didn't check all the shutters speeds .
Quote from: 2blackbar on January 02, 2020, 08:25:13 PM
How did You change camera to 24HZ , is there a a way to change main clock in source code ?
Not or at least not yet (?) a1ex has hinted at the possibility of overclocking the sensor for increased res & fps .
The 5D2 & 5D3 have main clock of 24MHZ , thou the 5D3 has 8 channel readout (8x24=192 MegaPixel per Second) (all the some time) where the 5D2 has only 4 channel readout (4x24=96MP/s) .
That's why these 2 camera have a very cinematic look to them and the only other camera that has 8 channel is 7D .
(I wouldn't mind poking at this one , as it maybe as good as the 5D3 in crop_rec , but sadly I can't find one cheap)
The EOSM as 4 channel but at a higher MHZ(30) same as the 50D (28.8MHZ) which allow for higher resolution & hi-speed frame rate.
But are not as cinematic in the motion blur , thou they are not bad as simulating film blur .

T123

@reddeercity

Any chance to get new updates on 50D?

Thank you for your hard work.

IDA_ML

Quote from: reddeercity on January 03, 2020, 04:18:35 AM
That's why these 2 camera have a very cinematic look to them and the only other camera that has 8 channel is 7D .
(I wouldn't mind poking at this one , as it maybe as good as the 5D3 in crop_rec , but sadly I can't find one cheap)

It is great news that you are considering the 7D, Reddeercity! I still use mine for a significant part of my photo and video work and it works great!  The video quality and especially the filmic look coming out of this camera are fantastic.  Here is a video of mine that illustrates this:

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/3Yw3/MbAHmSoSk

The first 3:25 minutes of it were shot with the 7D at 1728x972 resolution.  You need to download the video with the "Скачать" button, (lower left of the above page), to watch it in its maximum quality. 

I wish you a Happy New Year and good luck with finding an inexpensive 7D body.  And keep up the good work!

cinematic

Hi Redeercity,

Thanks for all your efforts.

I tested dual iso video with iso 100/800 with crop_rec, mlv and dual_iso modules enabled. I am getting ISOless LV error 2 in all resolutions. Liveview goes black.

Is there something else that needs to be set?

Cheers,

reddeercity

Ok here is a sample from the 5.6k preset (5632x2356 4.22fps)
Shot this yesterday , at sunset (4:30pm mst) , use my ef24-70mm 2.8L canon lens @ 24mm
F8 , ISO 100 , 1/5th second and because it was a sunset I had to use a Variable ND filter and stop it down 4 stops
I processed the 10bit cdng's thought Adobe After Effect CS6 with ACR ,I didn't spend much time on grading , just the basic .
I export the file to apple ProRes 422HQ and uploaded that same file (9.3GB)
I capture 7:00 min's continuously to a 32GB Lexar 1066x CF Card , I saw write speeds pecking around 87MB/s & the average was 79.3MB/s   :)
I set the A.E. project to 24fps and that made the time condensed to about 1:15 seconds from 7:00 min's .
Watch it @ 5K (2880p) for the best viewing , I might have to increase the frame rate to 6.5 to see if it's better film motion .

FYI: I was trying this out on the 50D and I can get 4752x1980 @ 10fps 10bit but only gets around 6-8 seconds , looks like I'm going to have to get
Lossless working on D4/5D2& 50D sooner then later  ;D

reddeercity

Quote from: Skinny on January 02, 2020, 01:16:35 PM
Hi, what about my problem? I can't see the preview in all modes except 1:1.
All I see on 48p and 3x1 anamorphic modes is just a black screen.
I tried everything I can, I read almost the entire topic from beginning to end, tried different builds - nothing helped.
Sorry missed your question .
did you read this and try ?  Reply #933 plus I don't know the build date you are using or any other information , so with out at I can't help .

reddeercity

Quote from: cinematic on January 04, 2020, 04:17:08 AM
I tested dual iso video with iso 100/800 with crop_rec, mlv and dual_iso modules enabled. I am getting ISOless LV error 2 in all resolutions. Liveview goes black.
Is there something else that needs to be set?
Same question to you , what ML build date are you using ,
experimental 10-12bit from magiclantern.fm/experiments , Nightly main builds or my highly bleeding edge eXperimental
Also what version Dual ISO module & where from what download page

There's two different version of dual iso I have , 1 for the old API ( about a 1.5 years ago) or the new on for Crop_Rec only builds ( no supported on the main nightly build)

cinematic

Quote from: reddeercity on January 05, 2020, 04:45:52 AM
Same question to you , what ML build date are you using ,
experimental 10-12bit from magiclantern.fm/experiments , Nightly main builds or my highly bleeding edge eXperimental
Also what version Dual ISO module & where from what download page

There's two different version of dual iso I have , 1 for the old API ( about a 1.5 years ago) or the new on for Crop_Rec only builds ( no supported on the main nightly build)

Hi Reddeercity,

Build info as below:

crop_rec-4k3x1-2.8k24p_3x3-48p-all-centered_8.18pm-5D2-eXperimental.2019Dec31.5D2212.zip
dual_iso module in the zip file above

Cheers

reddeercity

Quote from: cinematic on January 05, 2020, 06:54:17 AM
Build info as below:
crop_rec-4k3x1-2.8k24p_3x3-48p-all-centered_8.18pm-5D2-eXperimental.2019Dec31.5D2212.zip
dual_iso module in the zip file above ......
No that one is for photo only , if you do search you will if all the info , and it's on my download page in the first post of this thread .
here is the link dual_iso_video-updates_8-21-2019.zip

Skinny

Quote from: reddeercity on January 05, 2020, 04:34:23 AM
Sorry missed your question .
did you read this and try ?  Reply #933 plus I don't know the build date you are using or any other information , so with out at I can't help .
I tried this of course. And I tried all the builds starting July 5, 2019.
I notice some difference by the way. In your video, when you turn on the camera, you see a preview in black and white. And I see the preview as a regular video, although raw is on. And when crop-rec is turned on, in some modes I can't get out of the x5 zoom mode...
Also, my "decrease" button does not work, even without ML, I have to scroll through x10 zoom. Although it works when viewing a photo, I can zoom in and out there. I don't know if it's normal or not..
Maybe there are different versions of 5d2? Like different revisions or something?
I tried to reset the camera settings, no difference..
And my camera never gives high resolution through HDMI on any ML builds, official nightly, or any others, it's always VGA..

As for the new preset.. 5.6k is just awesome. The amount of detail is just phenomenal, now I really want it to work at 30 fps or, better 60 :D Of course I know it's impossible :) Anyway this is just an awesome build! Wow.

Although, it seems the frame is far from center. And it would be great to be able to change the FPS. Usually I use 1...2 fps and sometimes 0.33 for timelapses at 360 degrees shutter. 4 fps should be good for a motorized slider, but too fast for a timelapse..

cinematic

Quote from: reddeercity on January 05, 2020, 09:39:03 AM
No that one is for photo only , if you do search you will if all the info , and it's on my download page in the first post of this thread .
here is the link dual_iso_video-updates_8-21-2019.zip

I tried your module. Getting the same issue.

Liveview went all dark when I enabled Dual ISO 100/800 under Expo menu and pressed half shutter and came back to Liveview.  After sometime getting the same error I mentioned in my first message. Resolution is 1856x1044. Tried with and without crop_rec module but getting the same issue.

Many Thanks

Skinny

@cinematic interesting, I have the same problem but with crop_rec, not with dual iso. You could try to cycle trough the INFO button to unlock the screen and record something. In my case it works, although the liveview is black...

Bender@arsch

@Skinny
Use the play button twice (refresh liveview) to go back from crop rec. 10x and decrease button doesn't work with crop rec enabled - > it's experimental
3. 5K/2.8K build works easy.
4K Anamorphic and 48p is a bit tricky to use. You must disable modul first before you press play button twice.
In 4K Anamorphic you must set the preview option to greyscale.

Skinny

Update!
I am using the latest build now, I managed to get a preview.
- I choose the "ML Gray" preview option
- Only the RAW module is activated
- I press the zoom x5 button (!)
- Now I immediately activate crop_rec 48p.
And the preview works. But if I update the live view or click something else - everything will fall into a black screen.

In the same way, I can choose 3x1 anamorphic instead of 48p, (the whole procedure needs to be done from the beginning) and the preview will work if I don't press the "play" button or "zoom" or something else....

Igor_Braun

Quote from: reddeercity on January 05, 2020, 03:46:02 AM
Shot this yesterday , at sunset (4:30pm mst) , use my ef24-70mm 2.8L canon lens @ 24mm
F8 , ISO 100 , 1/5th second and because it was a sunset I had to use a Variable ND filter and stop it down 4 stops
I processed the 10bit cdng's thought Adobe After Effect CS6 with ACR ,I didn't spend much time on grading , just the basic .
I capture 7:00 min's continuously to a 32GB Lexar 1066x CF Card , I saw write speeds pecking around 87MB/s & the average was 79.3MB/s   :)
I set the A.E. project to 24fps and that made the time condensed to about 1:15 seconds from 7:00 min's .
Watch it @ 5K (2880p) for the best viewing , I might have to increase the frame rate to 6.5 to see if it's better film motion .

FYI: I was trying this out on the 50D and I can get 4752x1980 @ 10fps 10bit but only gets around 6-8 seconds , looks like I'm going to have to get

just amazing......

ilia3101

Quote from: reddeercity on January 05, 2020, 03:46:02 AM

Stunning.

reddeercity

@Ilia3101 & @Igor_Braun , thanks  :)
FYI: I been using the Technicolor's CineStyle Profile to expose with and so far it's never been wrong
and of course I just let the hi-light almost clip , on other Picture Profiles it would be clipping badly .
What like the most is the shadows there are sooooo clean , there's no noise at all !
When you can use the whole sensor the image can be breathtaking  8)

@Bender@arsch thanks for jumping in and clearing things up for newbies , I don't have the time
to answer questions that are searchable . You have great handle on how to operate the crop_rec on 5D2  ;D

Now a new update ,
crop_rec-5632x3124_3.8fps-5D2-eXperimental.9.42pm.2020Jan05.5D2212.zip

I increased the vertical in this 5.6k 1:1 preset from 2354 --> 3124 and drop the frame rate to 3.8fps from 4.22.
also check the centering and it was off a bit , I drop it down should be right on center now check with a full res CR2
The new preset size is 5632x3124 @ 3.8fps 16x9 A.R. , the wright speed is 79.6MB/s so it's right on the edge of continuous/not continuous
if you drop the A.R. to 1.85 (5632x3044) write speed drops to around 71-72MB/s which is continuous

Later on I can add the crop_rec sensor timing to the "FPS override" so you lower of rise the frame rate .

Edit: I updated & cleaned up the first post of the this thread , removed old past builds & information that was confusing people
posted links to the new & latest crop_rec (dec,31,2019) plus the new 5.6k 1x1 preset from today .

Skinny

Sorry if I asked too many questions, or something. I just spent a lot of time to figure out how to do it right.
And I am very grateful for all the work and these builds. It breathes new life into this old camera :)

New 5.6k 16:9 works perfectly. full-frame 5.6k RAW video... This is just amazing

cinematic

Hi,

Sorry to be a party pooper. Unfortunately LV display refresh did not work for my dual iso issue. Tried recording video turned out to be all dark frames. Tried clearing all camera settings and reloading the ML again using a fresh card as well.

Getting ISOless LV error 2 error repeatedly. I am hoping someone can test 5D2 with the recent build and report back.

Thanks.

reddeercity

Quote from: cinematic on January 06, 2020, 01:45:41 PM
....... Unfortunately LV display refresh did not work for my dual iso issue.
Tried recording video turned out to be all dark frames. .......
Getting ISOless LV error 2 error repeatedly. .....
You still haven't proofed to me that you downloaded the correct dual ISO module & you haven't shown any setting .
Take some screen shot in camera , is there a error Log on the card ?
Do you know how to use Dual Video ISO ? If not start searching the forum there many posts about it .

Well there no problem , I tested with the latest 5.6k crop_rec I just posted last night and it works as expected .
Works well with 5xZoom/3xcrop_mode even with crop_rec it work good , but in 3x3 it freezes liveview (again a expected result)
It very glitch·y can freeze liveview at any time , specially in fast pans .
So there is no issue here , and I use the link that I give you a few posts back

cinematic

Quote from: reddeercity on January 07, 2020, 06:09:32 AM
You still haven't proofed to me that you downloaded the correct dual ISO module & you haven't shown any setting .
Take some screen shot in camera , is there a error Log on the card ?
Do you know how to use Dual Video ISO ? If not start searching the forum there many posts about it .

Well there no problem , I tested with the latest 5.6k crop_rec I just posted last night and it works as expected .
Works well with 5xZoom/3xcrop_mode even with crop_rec it work good , but in 3x3 it freezes liveview (again a expected result)
It very glitch·y can freeze liveview at any time , specially in fast pans .
So there is no issue here , and I use the link that I give you a few posts back

Hi Redeercity,

Screenshots from my 5D2.

https://ibb.co/N6mtvmF
https://ibb.co/N6mtvmF
https://ibb.co/z8j6qmn
https://ibb.co/YfVNLK7
https://ibb.co/HTSnv4W
https://ibb.co/Dwfbzct
https://ibb.co/JvT2q5s
https://ibb.co/YkWbSPP

Couple of months ago, it was working. Processed MLV files using MLV App Dual ISO. All worked well that time.

Thanks for looking in to this issue.

Igor_Braun

Hi, @Reddeercity

I did some tests, it's dope...   :)

Centering is perfect, thanks
centering" border="0
https://i.ibb.co/D54QNnz/centering.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any cool interiors or good looking landscape and motorized slider as well... so I shoot a 5k panorama with gimbal and downscaled it to 4k because my computer is toooo slow for 5k, or even 2,5k, and my software is unable to render videos that are more than 2880 vertically, so I had to render it with "avi ucompressed" to get 5632 x 3124 it requires a lot of space, so I rendered two videos: 1. only 3 sec of 5k and 2. whole panorama in 4k

4k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmEGeIXQXv0&feature=youtu.be
5k 3 sec https://youtu.be/RSMCYftSGGY

But there is a problem (for me). Even in 14 bit with global draw allowed in 4k, I got a frozen preview.

Videos from phone:
5k https://youtu.be/sdDMUaP5HFE
4k  https://youtu.be/eLp6ubzA7k8 (frozen preview is here)

Also, got lines in shadows (i think it disappears with time)

SHADOWS" border="0
https://i.ibb.co/sgRVK3R/SHADOWS.jpg

@Reddeercity, what do you think about 4k 16:9 (binned or regular) with small FPS? 

PS:
What do you think about 1dx mark iii. I was shocked by 5.5k 60 fps raw internally but it has only 20,1 mp in 2020 is it ok for photographers? We have 21 in 5d2 :)