3K/UHD 5D2 Raw development and Other Digic IV Cams

Started by reddeercity, April 06, 2017, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2blackbar

So there is 1x3 mode and stretch for that is 5568x1248 not 1856x416
Once lossless raw recording would be finished then it would record longer like EOS M thats why i think lossless should have top priority so you cant say meh i only got 2 seconds uncompressed, with lossless it would record much longer in those high res modes with more data to push.

masc

Quote from: 2blackbar on December 15, 2019, 01:41:28 PM
... why i think lossless should have top priority so you cant say ...
Finding the right registers and values for such new functions is indeed not easy and you need much time, much effort and some luck. If you have more luck with one topic, I can understand doing more research there. I also tried to compile with those registers for 5D2 - I had success with compiling, but just got crashes with how I tried to integrate those registers. So I can also understand why someone does not want to go a certain way... It is not like implementing a new program.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

2blackbar

IMO there should be ability to hide ML menu when you change registers in realtime, it would speed up development by a lot.

Danne

Quote from: 2blackbar on December 15, 2019, 08:47:52 PM
IMO there should be ability to hide ML menu when you change registers in realtime, it would speed up development by a lot.
Isn´t already in adtg_gui?

masc

Quote from: Danne on December 15, 2019, 08:54:29 PM
Isn´t already in adtg_gui?
Yes it is. But sometimes camera hangs up when entering those values.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

reddeercity

@masc , go slow start on something simple that only needs a couple of reg's , d4 cams are very sensitive to any
shock to the system , the reg need to be applied in stages.
Rule of thumb I start at very low frame rate , I do all my adjustments around 8-10fps .
A FYI : I've had all the 1x3 reg's plus preview for 5k(4992) ([email protected]) for the last year ,
but until the adtg hooks problem was solve no need to post anything about it . 

RAW-059_5016x1843_23.976.png

1672x1843-RAW-059.png
1x3_1672x1843_24fps-RAW-059.DNG

Just a word on development to all newbies , just because there a focus on one thing at a time doesn't mean that discovery are not made all the time .
That's how I figured out the preview for HDMI at 4k 3x1 and all that knowledge gets applied to other preset .
And if a discovery or a flash of insite lead to lossless ok then , but that's how it goes sometimes , when you hit a brick wall on
one thing you make process on a another thing even if it something that was work on 2 years ago .

If one of the reasons I bought a 50D , it helps me understand the D4/5D2 cams better because it's less complicated , not so many rabbit holes  ;)

reddeercity

New update for 5D2 3x1 4k HDMI 480p preview full screen now  :D
crop_rec-4k3x1hdmi480p-preview-5D2-eXperimental.8.08pm.2019Dec15.5D2212.zip

How to setup
It a bit glitchy , Very first thing !!
HDMI must be switch to "Force ->VGA" (480P) before you enter in to 5xzoom !
and do not plug in the hdmi cable yet .
start off in non crop_rec  just the normal 5xZoom (3xcrop_mode) should be at 2144x1978
Then plug in the hdmi cable , should have a normal crop_mode image .
Next , press the trash can to enter in to crop_rec module , select 3x1 4k then press half shutter to enable
you should see this image below.

short 1 min video from my iPhone with this preset enabled & recording raw.
3x1_4k_hdmi_480p_full_screen_IMG_2895.MOV

If you unplug hdmi cable you will need to refresh Liveview , you will have a black screen .
Press the play button to show a cr2 photo, press play again , then press the Info button until
ml overlay screen comes up ( but will have no image yet) then press trash can to bring up
the ml menu then disable Crop_Rec , press half shutter , it should be back to 3x3 1856x1248 .
Yea I know it's kind of a pain , but it a very new thing I found it will take time to smooth out the edges  :D

ZEEK

EOS M

masc

Quote from: reddeercity on December 16, 2019, 03:58:07 AM
@masc , go slow start on something simple that only needs a couple of reg's , d4 cams are very sensitive to any
Rule of thumb I start at very low frame rate , I do all my adjustments around 8-10fps .
A FYI : I've had all the 1x3 reg's plus preview for 5k(4992) ([email protected]) for the last year ,

1672x1843-RAW-059.png
That looks great. Wow. What I have to do to get that? You also just entered some registers in adtg gui? And in which order? Or did you implement this in code testwise somewhere?
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

2blackbar

lol its 5016x1843 anamorphic on 5D2  :D
How well it runs ? I suspect it wont record much even in 10 bits because of uncompressed ?
Can You share the build ?

RH42

Quote from: reddeercity on December 16, 2019, 03:58:07 AM

1672x1843-RAW-059.png

Just a word on development to all newbies , just because there a focus on one thing at a time doesn't mean that discovery are not made all the time .
That's how I figured out the preview for HDMI at 4k 3x1 and all that knowledge gets applied to other preset .
And if a discovery or a flash of insite lead to lossless ok then , but that's how it goes sometimes , when you hit a brick wall on
one thing you make process on a another thing even if it something that was work on 2 years ago .

If one of the reasons I bought a 50D , it helps me understand the D4/5D2 cams better because it's less complicated , not so many rabbit holes  ;)

Just amazed by the amount of potential that has been unlocked on these older cams - big thank you to @reddeercity and everyone else who has continued to push the boundaries!

Igor_Braun

@reddeercity
Works well...
In this build in my case HDMI monitor gets the signal only in 1x zoom mode (then after the monitor switches on you need to go to x5 zoom)

And just in case again:
positions" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://ru.imgbb.com/'>image host</a>

https://i.ibb.co/NjsQdKs/positions.jpg

The whole image is standard h264
Grey zone - is 4k recording zone
Blue zone is what i've seen through the HDMI

Also, I've tried to align recording zone vertically, fixing  hi and lo cmoses but didn't get the result, so i'm not sure i do it the right way

Edit:
Some videos shot on phone:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VKryn8bJag0e8h8Bu2ojMHrcTI4RiHjL/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sESwTTsWetm8dVMqwHNxDxBC5g_mlLB5/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15CG1zm-gBCpFoegXJkj-I2xfIBxd7BRE/view?usp=sharing

@Mask and @2blackbar thanks for the explanations i'll check it all about the pixel binning methods

reddeercity

Ok , I'll check the vertical positioning in 3x1 4k . It should be easier then that to get monitoring in 3x1 .
I'll post a video on the setting etc.  ..... to get hdmi monitoring in the next few days hopefully
I've being busy trying to get 50D crop_rec out by xmas , but as always there's road blocks & rabbit holes slowing me down  :D

ZEEK

@Reddeercity
Hey, I'm using the build for the 5D2:
November 14/2019 3008x1080 @ 23.98 fps Updated Corrected Horizontal Centering.
It's been working really awesome! Thanks! I have just come across two issues:
1.Mlv_Play Module appears as "error" when the module is loaded but works without it.
2. When you format the camera in the camera from Canon Menu, ML is removed completely (Even though it says if I would like to keep ML). Is there a way around this? 
Thanks heaps!
EOS M

ilia3101

Those are just facts of life. You can't have a camera this cinamatic AND playback.

Think about film cameras:
1. You can't play back what you shot until you process it
2. You can't format film

ZEEK

@IIia3101
Ah right. Just thought I was doing something wrong! I can live with these standards! Thanks! 👍
EOS M

reddeercity

New update for 5D2

magiclantern-crop_rec-4k-3x3-48p_new-centering_-5D2-eXperimental.11.27pm_2019Dec23.5D2212.zip

I corrected centering on 4k 3x1 & (3x3 48fps ,1856x774 which no one seem to notice that is was out more then the 4k  ??? )
please check all preset this helps me to know if I broke anything else , I do check everything before I upload , but sometimes I may miss something .
@Igor_Braun here you go , thanks for check the centering , I can't change the HDMI centering sorry , that's a lot of reverse engineering to figure it out and it may
not be doable , maybe a1ex has more insight  on the topic I haven't came across anything that works at the monument .

This will more then likely be the last update for 3x1 & 3x3 48p unless there some issue that needs to be addressed
I'll be focusing on getting ADTG hooks working in the crop_rec  along with lossless compression  and (over clocking CF card bus , hopefully) plus finish porting/compiling 50D crop_rec

merry xmas everyone  :D :D

Bender@arsch

Skinny

I would like to thank you for all the work that you have done reddeercity.

I have such a problem - on crop rec 4k anamorphic, and 48p, all I see on live view is a black screen.
Even going to the ML menu is then quite problematic, some of the buttons simply do not work.
I tried to refresh the screen in different ways, tried different settings, everything..

However, the video is being recorded ok, I even shot some clips in 48p slo-mo. I just don't see the preview when shooting.
Maybe there is some reason or am I missing something?

Igor_Braun

@reddeercity, i understand. Thank you for your awesome work... Merry Christmas! Wishing you a magical holiday!
The day after tomorrow i'm coming back to my house and check the new build  :D :D :D

Edit: Everything works just fine in my case except of 3,5k profile. Think i missed something. Will try to do something with it and reply to you later :) 48p is very cool mode... In the meantime, i'm thinking of using mobile phone as a viewfinder for 4k mode..   :-\

https://youtu.be/vUcr2taVEGs

Hm... Also, i can connect hdmi monitor to this phone and make right framing there...

Question: What about adding full-resolution 5k with small fps mode? It may be very good for time-lapses or interior shooting using motorized sliders for example.

I got around 13 sec of 14-bit 4k raw with full range (without cropping) 1-2 fps squeezed preview in camera on Lexar 1066x with your previous build.
it,s really dope =)
Is there any way to in camera de-squeeze this preview image (3 times stretch vertically)?

reddeercity

New up Date for 5D2 ,
crop_rec-4k3x1-2.8k24p_3x3-48p-all-centered_8.18pm-5D2-eXperimental.2019Dec31.5D2212.zip

All crop_rec presets ( 4k 3x1 , 3x3 48p & 2.8k (2784x1160) are perfectly centered or as close I can get
It maybe a few pixel out , I check the centering in A.E. with a full CR2 (5616x3744) then overlay the crop_rec frame .

Updated the centered 3.5k preset (2784x1160) AKA as 2.8k
I reworked it to get a True 24p FPS (24.000) since the main clock is 24MHZ it runs cooler now too  :) plus it's also centered .

HDMI is working as long as you have  "HDMI->force to VGA" (480p) even if you don't have a HDMI cable plugged in
It's recommended to keep this enable for all crop_rec presets ( reduces the chance of pink/corrupted frames )

Happy New Year !! & happy testing  :D

reddeercity

Quote from: Igor_Braun on December 26, 2019, 10:19:54 PM
Question: What about adding full-resolution 5k with small fps mode? It may be very good for time-lapses or interior shooting using motorized sliders for example.
Ok , I see the value in that -- give this a try  ,
a Very eXperimental  5632x2356 2.40 A.R. @ 4.221fps
crop_rec-5k-4fps-5D2-eXperimental.9.08pm.2020Jan01.5D2212.zip

5632x2356_CC_M01-2227_000000.png

It's at 4.22fps right now , I can push it to 6.5fps -- but I want to see if anyone is going to use it before I develop it further  , I'll know by how many downloads there is .
Same as before start in 3x crop_mode (2144x1078 29.66 fps default) then enable crop_rec 5k preset , Liveview is slow (4fps) .
you may have to cycle though the 5xzoom button , it may lockup of freeze liveview , if so just do a battery pull .
As before if it brick your camera you get to keep all the pieces . :P

Skinny

Hi, what about my problem? I can't see the preview in all modes except 1:1.
All I see on 48p and 3x1 anamorphic modes is just a black screen.
I tried everything I can, I read almost the entire topic from beginning to end, tried different builds - nothing helped.

Could this be because I use manual (non-chip) lens? Well, I don't even know.

Quote from: reddeercity on January 02, 2020, 06:08:05 AM
Ok , I see the value in that -- give this a try  ,
a Very eXperimental  5632x2356 2.40 A.R. @ 4.221fps
crop_rec-5k-4fps-5D2-eXperimental.9.08pm.2020Jan01.5D2212.zip
I tried this build, works great! I'll definitely use this, because I've been shooting timelapses with ML for a very long time (with 550d raw video)

2blackbar

Works great, Centered 1x1 crop is nice.
How did You change camera to 24HZ , is there a a way to change main clock in source code ?